Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Epic Engineering
Epic Engineering tonight at 8pm on Science Channle.

"The City Without Cars" Explore the plans of engineers and planners as they plan for a future with self-driving cars.

Just have to say, I love these shows. I saw one a few years ago of a design of a city in one building. The structure is shaped in a pyramid and has buildings, 25-50 stories high hanging inside. The reason for them hanging inside this pyramid is to help during storms and earthquakes.

Another extreme engineering project is a floating city complete with parks for recreation, shops, homes, malls, hospitals and an airport. The city would sail the world traveling to different oceans and seas.

Then there's the ultimate bomb shelters for the paranoid type and a guy building a city in an old missle silo or multiple silos.

Really cool stuff if they can get these things off the ground.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
great show. this was one of my favorites in this genre from a number of years ago. talks about the feasibility of putting a dome over the entirety of houston

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2015, 08:53 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: great show. this was one of my favorites in this genre from a number of years ago. talks about the feasibility of putting a dome over the entirety of houston

At least try it over Cleveland.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Instead of just theoretical stuff I saw a documentary about how the Japanese built an entire island for an airport. It was mind boggling that they could afford to go to all that expense.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2015, 08:28 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Instead of just thoretical stuff I saw a documentary about how the Japanese built an entire for an airport.  It was mind boggling that they could afford to go to all that expense.

Well. Damn. Now I'm curious.

An entire what?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2015, 11:32 AM)Benton Wrote: Well. Damn. Now I'm curious.

An entire what?

They created an entire island out in the middle of Tokyo Bay I think and then built an airport on it because there was nowhere else to put it.

Kind of how in Dubai, they built an island in the shape of a Palm Tree and put hotels on it.

Edit: it's not hotels but homes and businesses.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
Not sure if it was this show but i saw something where brazil i think was gonna try and damn part of the ocean for essentailly unlimited energy
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2015, 01:10 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: They created an entire island out in the middle of Tokyo Bay I think and then built an airport on it because there was nowhere else to put it.

Kind of how in Dubai, they built an island in the shape of a Palm Tree and put hotels on it.

Edit: it's not hotels but homes and businesses.

This.  Japan is so small and crowded that land is just ridiculous expensive.  They can build entire islands cheaper than they can buy land for an airport.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2015, 01:49 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Not sure if it was this show but i saw something where brazil i think was gonna try and damn part of the ocean for essentailly unlimited energy

I always thought tidal generators seemed like a good idea.  The dam is open and fills up when the tide rises.  At high tide the close it off then at low tide they release the water to run generators just like hydroelectric dams in rivers.  They just need to be in places that have a very large difference in high and low tide.
Reply/Quote