Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phil Castellini Makes Fun of Disgruntled Fanbase
Here's Phil Castellini on WLW (the Reds' flagship station) Tuesday, when asked about fans who might be frustrated with the team:

"Well, where you gonna go? Let's start there. I mean, sell the team to who? I mean, that's the other thing, I mean, you wanna have this debate? If you wanna look at what would you have this team do to have it be more profitable, make more money, compete more in the current economic system that this game exists, it would be to pick it up and move it somewhere else. And, so, be careful what you ask for. I think we're doing the best we can do with the resources that we have."

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/reds-president-phil-castellini-scoffs-at-fan-frustration-requests-to-sell-where-you-gonna-go/

Basically he's suggesting that no one else would want the Reds, they aren't profitable, and if you don't like losses, tough. Deal with it. Anyone else would move your crappy team.

Guy makes 90s Mike Brown look downright likeable. What a clown.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
The rule states that at any given time there has to be at least one pro sports front office in Cincinnati giving double middle fingers to their loyal fans.
Reply/Quote
Arrogant ass
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
What a d bag. I went to the home opener. Makes me re consider going to future games. If the reds were to ever leave town I’d probably pay damn little attention to baseball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Hes not wrong though with what he said.
Reply/Quote
"Look guys, the only way a baseball team can remain in this terrible baseball market of Cincinnati is if the team is so underfunded and bad that we can't gain any new fans. It's simple!"
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2022, 07:46 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: The rule states that at any given time there has to be at least one pro sports front office in Cincinnati giving double middle fingers to their loyal fans.

isnt that what we approved FC Cincinnati for?
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2022, 02:34 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: isnt that what we approved FC Cincinnati for?

Hell, a couple more seasons of THEM and that new stadium will become the home of the NHL expansion Cincinnati Cyclones!
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2022, 04:26 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Hell, a couple more seasons of THEM and that new stadium will become the home of the NHL expansion Cincinnati Cyclones!

Thats what ive been waiting for....
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2022, 10:19 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: What a d bag.  I went to the home opener.  Makes me re consider going to future games.  If the reds were to ever leave town I’d probably pay damn little attention to baseball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They'd play hell moving the first team out of Cincinnati.

But more then that, baseball doesn't really do much in the way of teams moving around anymore. There has only been one team moved since 1972, and that was the Expos who were owned by the league and moved to Washington to become the Nationals. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2022, 02:18 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Hes not wrong though with what he said.

The Reds have an estimated worth of roughly $1.2 billion. We ranked a respectable 17th in attendance in 2021. It's not a terrible situation for them at all. Moving the team wouldn't be necessary.

Smaller markets have had more success than the Reds...they just haven't run the team very well.

Even if you agree with his take, I think the point is that's not how ownership should speak to the fanbase. Kinda paints a picture that they really don't give a rip.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2022, 12:30 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The Reds have an estimated worth of roughly $1.2 billion. We ranked a respectable 17th in attendance in 2021. It's not a terrible situation for them at all. Moving the team wouldn't be necessary.

Smaller markets have had more success than the Reds...they just haven't run the team very well.

Even if you agree with his take, I think the point is that's not how ownership should speak to the fanbase. Kinda paints a picture that they really don't give a rip.

Estimated worth dont pay the bills and it means nothing to you sell a team and get cash. 

Id rather ownership be honest than lie. 
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2022, 05:03 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: They'd play hell moving the first team out of Cincinnati.

But more then that, baseball doesn't really do much in the way of teams moving around anymore. There has only been one team moved since 1972, and that was the Expos who were owned by the league and moved to Washington to become the Nationals. 

The Cincinnati NBA team moved to Kansas City in1972 and became a baseball team.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2022, 02:13 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Estimated worth dont pay the bills and it means nothing to you sell a team and get cash. 

Id rather ownership be honest than lie. 

Does attendance mean nothing? TV deals mean nothing? Again, teams in lesser situations have done way more.

Also, you have to look at it more deeply than simply a matter of him being honest. For one thing, he's incorrect on some of what he says, and secondly, owners are aware that their words can lead to PR disasters. In this case, he just let 'er rip, so obviously he doesn't care what the fanbase thinks. Which is a huge problem for common sense reasons.
Reply/Quote
How are the reds not profitable and what market would be better for them? Cincinnati literally has a Holliday for opening day what other city does that.

The commissioner should suspend this clown and give him a heavy fine.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Even the minor league teams around town are dunking on this clown. :lol:

Reply/Quote
I agree about the system being flawed, but the fact is that the Castellinis are punching above their weight when it comes to being owners of a MLB team. They are not MLB-owner rich and they depend on profits to pad their wallets. Their outside income source is significant, but the Reds are still far from an expensive toy to them. They covet the money from baseball operations more than they want to win.

I'm not sure it's a foregone conclusion that selling means an exit from Cincinnati. The fanbase here will support the team if they are competitive, and this town almost always sides with ownership over expensive players on average.

The problem, to be honest has less to do with spending and more to do with sucking at baseball operations when it comes to the current ownership. Teams like the Rays, A's, and Guardians spend a lot less than the Reds, yet still manage to avoid half-decade stretches of abject, intentional failure. This is what has turned the fans vs the Castellinis. We trusted them to execute a tear-down rebuild after 2013, and it went pretty badly. The benefits from it were good for barely two seasons of decent MLB-level baseball. Now it's back to sucking and bailing crap contracts by attaching good players to them and resulting in a worse roster overall.

The Castellinis meddle. They extend players they cannot afford because they were awful at developing in-house talent to replace them. Up until very recently, they stank at developing starting pitching. Their trades this year were unintelligible from a baseball standpoint, and made them look inept and silly.

If they committed to 90-120 mil payroll as they have in the past, that more than enough to compete IF they are shrewd at baseball operations and trades/development/free agency. Unfortunately, they are morons and end up shelling out to dudes like a washed Moose, and overmatched Shogo, and swap out identical deals from Miley to Minor that make zero sense.

I wish they could spend like the Yankees, but I really wish they'd just be better with their decisions. Better yet, hire a non-family stooge for a GM and let him rip. Keep your hands off of the baseball side and stop embarrassing yourselves.
Reply/Quote

Sounds about right.

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2022, 12:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
Sounds about right.

I'd bet you will just be able to change the moth and keep posting this all year.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote