Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phil Castellini Makes Fun of Disgruntled Fanbase
(04-30-2022, 12:55 PM)grampahol Wrote: My lifelong Reds fandom of 62+ years has ceased until the Castellini clan no longer have any stake in this team..  Where am I gonna go? To H E Double hockey sticks...**** your plans Phil.

I'm right there with you Gramps. Been a Reds fan for 50 years or more and I have a hard time watching them at all this season. It's bad, it's really bad !
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 02:39 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Success in baseball, like any sport, comes down to players producing.  Big contract, little contract, players have to produce.  That's on the players.  

I do find it interesting most bash ownership for the MOOSE contract, yet in offseason 2020 everyone was happy as could be.  Ownerships fault right. Same with Shogo.

Reds fanbase....sign some players, spend some money, 2020 reds spend money, reds dont win.  2021 Reds still dont win, fanbase...stop spending money on these players that dont win... Reds trade players that (A. Dont win, B. Gonna cost them money)......fanbase you didnt spend any money to get better.  

Just like:

Bengals suck fire Marvin, Marvin fired, Taylor hired...who????  wins 2 games, Taylor sucks fire Taylor, Bengals dont bring in players.....Taylor wins a few more games, Burrow hurt, Taylor sucks, fire Taylor, Bengals dont spend money.....then..............................we all know.  

Maybe fanbase is the problem, and not ownership.

https://youtu.be/AqwC7Q2HmTA
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2022, 11:55 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The Reds have made moves and signed guys to decent free agent contracts over the past few years, but they just did not work out.

Matt Harvey
Yasiel Puig
Matt Kemp
Sonny Gray
Tanner Roark
Trevor Bauer
Mike Moustakas
Nick Castellanos

Tiger

With all do respect sir that is not accurate! 
Reply/Quote
The Bengals have more wins in 2022 than the Reds. It’s May. This is officially a football town now.

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2022, 12:17 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The Bengals have more wins in 2022 than the Reds. It’s May. This is officially a football town now.

Tiger

The Bengals have a great deal of work before they make the city into a football town. As of now Cincinnati is a Baseball town with many who played for them in the HOF as representation. Now are they struggling absolutely but they'll be back and losing in May of 2022 is small in the scheme of things. Just hang in there with the Reds and the ownership because it will turn around as long as they pick a direction and stick to it. 
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2022, 01:05 AM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

The Bengals have a great deal of work before they make the city into a football town. As of now Cincinnati is a Baseball town with many who played for them in the HOF as representation. Now are they struggling absolutely but they'll be back and losing in May of 2022 is small in the scheme of things. Just hang in there with the Reds and the ownership because it will turn around as long as they pick a direction and stick to it. 

Not sure what you’re basing your confidence in that happening on? They’ve been mostly irrelevant since the early-to-mid 90’s. And fewer and fewer young people really even give a shit about baseball in general these days. Let alone an absolute cellar dwelling - dumpster fire of an organization like the Reds. The Bengals otoh are an up and coming team that has extremely marketable superstars in Burrow and Chase. Not to mention the success of UC football in recent years. I don’t think it’s wrong at all to say that it’s probably much more of a football town at this point. It’s a what have you done for me lately type of world (especially in sports), and the amount of people that still care about team’s from the 70’s is going to lessen and lessen as time goes on.

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2022, 01:31 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Not sure what you’re basing your confidence in that happening on? They’ve been mostly irrelevant since the early-to-mid 90’s. And fewer and fewer young people really even give a shit about baseball in general these days. Let alone an absolute cellar dwelling - dumpster fire of an organization like the Reds. The Bengals otoh are an up and coming team that has extremely marketable superstars in Burrow and Chase. Not to mention the success of UC football in recent years. I don’t think it’s wrong at all to say that it’s probably much more of a football town at this point. It’s a what have you done for me lately type of world (especially in sports), and the amount of people that still care about team’s from the 70’s is going to lessen and lessen as time goes on.

This post pains me to read because I completely agree with the sentiments shared about the Reds and baseball being lesser.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2022, 01:05 AM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

Cincinnati is a town with a baseball legacy.  It is not currently a baseball town, and really hasn't been for several years.  Football (high school, college and NFL) drive a lot more sports interest locally than baseball.  I think with some winning, baseball can be relevant again, but I'm not sure it'll ever be a baseball town like it once was. 
Reply/Quote
FC Cincinnati now has more wins on the season than the Reds. In 14 fewer games. ?
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2022, 01:31 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Not sure what you’re basing your confidence in that happening on? They’ve been mostly irrelevant since the early-to-mid 90’s. And fewer and fewer young people really even give a shit about baseball in general these days. Let alone an absolute cellar dwelling - dumpster fire of an organization like the Reds. The Bengals otoh are an up and coming team that has extremely marketable superstars in Burrow and Chase. Not to mention the success of UC football in recent years. I don’t think it’s wrong at all to say that it’s probably much more of a football town at this point. It’s a what have you done for me lately type of world (especially in sports), and the amount of people that still care about team’s from the 70’s is going to lessen and lessen as time goes on.

Me either ?

In the entire 15 years or whatever ? the current ownership has been in control of the Reds they've had 3 decent seasons. 2010,12, and 13 IIRC ?

Other than that (which wasn't that great) they've been at best a very mediocre team and that's being generous. Castellini and Co, are on like their 6th rebuild now and still can't get anywhere near over the hump.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2022, 11:31 AM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Cincinnati is a town with a baseball legacy.  It is not currently a baseball town, and really hasn't been for several years.  Football (high school, college and NFL) drive a lot more sports interest locally than baseball.  I think with some winning, baseball can be relevant again, but I'm not sure it'll ever be a baseball town like it once was. 

Right

Old farts like me who actually watched the Big Red Machine play and win always think Reds when you say Cincinnati. Most of the youngins have no clue how big Pete Rose was in 1976. Shaving ads. Wheaties boxes, game shows, on and on. A true household name, anywhere in the country.

Today you get a hundred miles out of Cincinnati you'd be hard pressed to find someone who could name a single Red, maybe Votto ?

And I doubt it will ever return to that level of baseball town. Not under the current ownership anyways.
Reply/Quote
It helps that they have had a lot of success, but St Louis is a baseball town. Cincinnati is no longer a baseball town. It's the 3 B's now. Bengals, Bearcats and Buckeyes. Those are teams that encompass most of Cincinnati's sports passion. That soccer thing too I guess.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote

Tiger

With all due respect your wrong in your argument. Here you are talking about Joe Burrow & UC as if they have been the fabric of what held Cincy together as a sports town for decades of losing seasons. We can debate pre twitter. Ok
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2022, 09:15 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

With all due respect your wrong in your argument. Here you are talking about Joe Burrow & UC as if they have been the fabric of what held Cincy together as a sports town for decades of losing seasons. We can debate pre twitter. Ok

Not everyone lives in the past, my man. Don’t we shit on Steelers fans for still talking about the 70’s?

Reply/Quote
The Reds organization absolutely lives in the past. They have spent the last twenty years marketing the good ole days as baseball's first team and the Big Red Machine.

They go beyond historical pride because they don't have anything recent to invest in other than Votto's good career.

It's just a poorly run organization. It is Joey B's city now.
Reply/Quote
I was raised on the Reds in the 70's and still consider them my favorite team. Going to the beach or a picnic and listening to Marty and Joe was priceless. The current ownership does not want to win. And the players are showing it.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2022, 09:56 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I was raised on the Reds in the 70's and still consider them my favorite team. Going to the beach or a picnic and listening to Marty and Joe was priceless. The current ownership does not want to win. And the players are showing it.

Yup. Sad that a team with such a rich history full of winning has become...this.

It's 70% poor ownership and 30% lack of a salary cap, imo.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2022, 01:05 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yup. Sad that a team with such a rich history full of winning has become...this.

It's 70% poor ownership and 30% lack of a salary cap, imo.

I'd call it 70% poor ownership, 20% no salary cap, and 10% poor manager.
Reply/Quote