Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Philosophy Changes Needed
The Bengals need some philosophy changes both in management and coaching:

1 ) On defense, we add personnel that fit more with the 90's AFC Central/North than the current NFL. The NFL is more of a passing league. We need faster LB's that can run, cover, and pass rush. Guys like Maualuga don't fit anymore.

2 ) We need safeties that can cover passes. That's why we miss Reggie. Williams is a decent run stopper, but poor in pass coverage.

3 ) We need to start investing more heavily in the offensive line and defensive line...including Center. Give a QB time to throw and he'll look good. Give the RB some holes and he'll look good. Games are won and lost in the trenches...especially in the playoffs.

4 ) Stop playing the weak zone coverage. Good QB's can pick that apart. Couple that with your unathletic LB's and Safeties that can't cover passes...and it's a recipe for disaster.

5 ) Lets start signing a couple free agent upgrades. I get it...the Bengals don't like playing rookies and younger players...so sign a couple veterans at positions of need! Everyone sees the massive contracts on the 1st day of free agency, but there are some reasonable free agent upgrades that can be had. It's a myth that external free agents are riskier than internal ones...especially considering a new coach will change our system anyways.

6 ) Use the 1st Round of the draft to upgrade 1 starting position each year instead of drafting a guy who will sit for 2-3 years and then replace a free agent that you can't afford to keep.

7 ) Start bringing back former Bengal starts to be closer to the team. This will build the culture over time.
Reply/Quote
Agree? Disagree?
Reply/Quote
# 2 and # 5 are crucial. Yeah, I agree with the overall premise as well, but those two are big time.  Change the entire staff while you're at it.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 03:33 PM)Wyche Wrote: # 2 and # 5 are crucial. Yeah, I agree with the overall premise as well, but those two are big time.  Change the entire staff while you're at it.

Yep. Implement any of these and we improve some.

Having Safeties and LB's that can't cover the pass really hurts.

The more I think about it, the more a guy like Jabril Peppers makes sense.
Reply/Quote
I would just be happy to see some second half adjustments. Just once... Just one time...
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 02:21 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Bengals need some philosophy changes both in management and coaching:

1 ) On defense, we add personnel that fit more with the 90's AFC Central/North than the current NFL. The NFL is more of a passing league. We need faster LB's that can run, cover, and pass rush. Guys like Maualuga don't fit anymore.

2 ) We need safeties that can cover passes. That's why we miss Reggie. Williams is a decent run stopper, but poor in pass coverage.

3 ) We need to start investing more heavily in the offensive line and defensive line...including Center. Give a QB time to throw and he'll look good. Give the RB some holes and he'll look good. Games are won and lost in the trenches...especially in the playoffs.

4 ) Stop playing the weak zone coverage. Good QB's can pick that apart. Couple that with your unathletic LB's and Safeties that can't cover passes...and it's a recipe for disaster.

5 ) Lets start signing a couple free agent upgrades. I get it...the Bengals don't like playing rookies and younger players...so sign a couple veterans at positions of need! Everyone sees the massive contracts on the 1st day of free agency, but there are some reasonable free agent upgrades that can be had. It's a myth that external free agents are riskier than internal ones...especially considering a new coach will change our system anyways.

6 ) Use the 1st Round of the draft to upgrade 1 starting position each year instead of drafting a guy who will sit for 2-3 years and then replace a free agent that you can't afford to keep.

7 ) Start bringing back former Bengal starts to be closer to the team. This will build the culture over time.

We need coaches who no what the hell they are doing. Up 20-6 at halftime and good ol' Marv and company find a way to lose. Yes the players need to be held accountable, but the one constant in this happening over and over again is Marvin Lewis. The culture of the team definitely needs to change, but won't until Brown is gone and Lewis is fired.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 04:52 PM)Crowe Wrote: We need coaches who no what the hell they are doing. Up 20-6 at halftime and good ol' Marv and company find a way to lose. Yes the players need to be held accountable, but the one constant in this happening over and over again is Marvin Lewis. The culture of the team definitely needs to change, but won't until Brown is gone and Lewis is fired.

Well, no one holds Marvy accountable, and Marvy holds no one accountable (except for poor ol No Make Nuge......who was cut about 7 weeks too late), so there ya have it.  The same ol dumb penalties and meltdowns over and over.

Reply/Quote
We've got way to many holes to fill/ positions that are in dire need of an upgrade to fix this team via the draft. In time for it to matter for the remaining core of good players, especially Whit ! But Andy, AJ, Geno, Carlos, Vontaze as well. They've all got a couple more seasons in their prime. The time is now to get a couple upper level free agents.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 04:56 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: We've got way to many holes to fill/ positions that are in dire need of an upgrade to fix this team via the draft. In time for it to matter for the remaining core of good players, especially Whit ! But Andy, AJ, Geno, Carlos, Vontaze as well. They've all got a couple more seasons in their prime. The time is now to get a couple upper level free agents.

I agree that we have a ton of positions of need...but IF we can actually upgrade 2-3 positions we should improve a decent bit.

We need to upgrade Center either via free agency or draft. (Maybe the 2nd Round.)

In the 1st Round a guy like Jabril Peppers makes our secondary better and you could use him at LB on passing downs.

Then hopefully Williams Jackson pans out at CB.

Those 3 things would be a big start.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 05:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I agree that we have a ton of positions of need...but IF we can actually upgrade 2-3 positions we should improve a decent bit.

We need to upgrade Center either via free agency or draft. (Maybe the 2nd Round.)

In the 1st Round a guy like Jabril Peppers makes our secondary better and you could use him at LB on passing downs.

Then hopefully Williams Jackson pans out at CB.

Those 3 things would be a big start.

We could be getting an inclination as to the answer to that question the next two weeks, but Cedric Peerman..... Mellow

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 02:21 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: 3 ) We need to start investing more heavily in the offensive line and defensive line...including Center. Give a QB time to throw and he'll look good. Give the RB some holes and he'll look good. Games are won and lost in the trenches...especially in the playoffs.

This is YUGE, to paraphrase the president-elect, and you're right out of the Paul Brown philosophy of building from the trenches out.  Look at Dallas and their offensive line:  An octogenarian using a walker could score from two yards out behind those guys!  Seriously, you nailed it:  Dak Prescott and Ezekiel Elliott are playing lights out because those big hogs up front are doing their jobs thereby allowing all of Dak's talent and Eziekel's natural ability to shine.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 05:45 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This is YUGE, to paraphrase the president-elect, and you're right out of the Paul Brown philosophy of building from the trenches out.  Look at Dallas and their offensive line:  An octogenarian using a walker could score from two yards out behind those guys!  Seriously, you nailed it:  Dak Prescott and Ezekiel Elliott are playing lights out because those big hogs up front are doing their jobs thereby allowing all of Dak's talent and Eziekel's natural ability to shine.

And ask yourself if Prescott and Elliott would be as good here as they are in Dallas?

The obvious answer is no because a RB needs an offensive line.
Reply/Quote
#1 should be play to win instead of playing not to lose.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 04:49 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. Implement any of these and we improve some.

Having Safeties and LB's that can't cover the pass really hurts.

The more I think about it, the more a guy like Jabril Peppers makes sense.

Yes.....and now I realize why we're talking about safeties and LBs instead of the lines.  I misquoted 2, when I meant 3. LMAO

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 06:01 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote:
And ask yourself if Prescott and Elliott would be as good here as they are in Dallas?

I don't think so, but a lot of fanboys think that the skill players make all the difference.

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 06:01 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: And ask yourself if Prescott and Elliott would be as good here as they are in Dallas?

Not only this, but so do the QB, WRs and TE's. If this team accomplishes anything at all this upcoming off-season, getting the OLine solidified would put us back in playoff territory. This will more easily compensate for the deficiencies on D more so than vice versa imho. Better running game, better passing game, better field position, and more time of possession = more points.

Not that I don't want similar upgrades on D as much, I just think this gives us the biggest bang for the buck.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 06:09 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Not only this, but so do the QB, WRs and TE's. If this team accomplishes anything at all this upcoming off-season, getting the OLine solidified would put us back in playoff territory. This will more easily compensate for the deficiencies on D more so than vice versa imho. No that I don't want similar upgrades on D as much, I just think this gives us the biggest bang for the buck.

But......but......but Bodine has improved dammit! LMAO

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 06:10 PM)Wyche Wrote: But......but......but Bodine has improved dammit! LMAO

I was amazed at how quickly he got downfield on one particular play yesterday. It's a wonder he wasn't flagged for being downfield illegally actually  Ninja
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 06:09 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Not only this, but so do the QB, WRs and TE's. If this team accomplishes anything at all this upcoming off-season, getting the OLine solidified would put us back in playoff territory. This will more easily compensate for the deficiencies on D more so than vice versa imho. Better running game, better passing game, better field position, and more time of possession = more points.

Not that I don't want similar upgrades on D as much, I just think this gives us the biggest bang for the buck.

Yep. And when the Bengals do go oline early...they draft a guy with a severe knee injury in the 1st Round that won't play Year 1. It's kind of sad really.
Reply/Quote
Philosophy changes start with new and diff coaches. Then philosophy starts
Reply/Quote