Poll: Pick an answer
This poll is closed.
Yes
90.00%
9 90.00%
No
0%
0 0%
I don't give two shits about Philosophy.
10.00%
1 10.00%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Philosophy Question from the 1600's
If, when a person born blind and only had tactile reference to distinguish between shapes such as a globe and a cube, sight were restored and without the use of touch, could the once blind person distinguish between the two shapes.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

Reply/Quote
I almost voted that I didn't give a shit, but I went with yes instead.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2016, 12:37 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I almost voted that I didn't give a shit, but I went with yes instead.

I almost provided the ability to chose two answers simply for this reason... Cool

Reply/Quote
How much wood?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Yes.

And to test this, I'm going to go blind some people.
Reply/Quote
I don't remember Locke or Berkeley pondering this.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2016, 02:00 PM)Benton Wrote: Yes.

And to test this, I'm going to go blind some people.

Hmmm...Reading may not be your strong suit.

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2016, 02:34 PM)jason Wrote: I don't remember Locke or Berkeley pondering this.

Actually you would be incorrect.  Locke did ponder this.

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2016, 01:12 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: How much wood?

This has already been answered.

Reply/Quote
I'm going with C.  I don't give 1 shit, let alone 2 shits about phil's osophy.

Bang Head
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2016, 02:54 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Hmmm...Reading may not be your strong suit.

[Image: powell-knife-to-the-eye.jpg?w=640]
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2016, 02:55 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Actually you would be incorrect.  Locke did ponder this.

That doesn't mean I remember him thinking about it.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2016, 03:12 PM)jason Wrote: That doesn't mean I remember him thinking about it.

Yes you do.   Mellow

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2016, 03:01 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I'm going with C.  I don't give 1 shit, let alone 2 shits about phil's osophy.

Bang Head

[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2016, 11:32 AM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: If, when a person born blind and only had tactile reference to distinguish between shapes such as a globe and a cube, sight were restored and without the use of touch, could the once blind person distinguish between the two shapes.

The roots of the question are older than 1600's. Is a variation of Plato's "Allegory of the Cave". 

[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2016, 04:59 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: The roots of the question are older than 1600's. Is a variation of Plato's "Allegory of the Cave". 

I would say they are tied together, but I wouldn't say it is a variation. At least not the way the question was presented for this thread.

But I'm not a philosopher, so what do I know? I do know a blind philosopher, though, well, legally blind, not totally blind, and not from birth.

Now I'm just rambling.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2016, 05:07 PM)Belsnickel Wrote:   I do know a blind philosopher, though, well, legally blind, not totally blind, 

I can fix that.

Mellow
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2016, 04:59 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: The roots of the question are older than 1600's. Is a variation of Plato's "Allegory of the Cave". 

Did you cast your vote?

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2016, 05:19 PM)Benton Wrote: I can fix that.

Mellow

There are days I consider doing that, myself. Whatever

Reply/Quote
"I see!" said the blind man to his deaf and dumb wife.

But, yes, if they can at least see shapes, if they were to gain sight, they would be able to distinguish the difference. How could they not?
Reply/Quote