Poll: Your choice?
cantaloupe
honeydew
I don't see melon type
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cantaloupe or Honeydew?
I like them both but I prefer Honeydew.

To me it is kind of like the difference between sweet apples and tart apples. I prefer the tart apples
Reply/Quote
What the hell is a honeydew?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2020, 02:50 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: What the hell is a honeydew?

Like a cantaloupe with greenish flesh.  Ever see melon balls on a snack tray or salad bar and some of them are green?

Some old country folk call them Mushmelons from the name "muskmelon".  A honeydew is actually a specific type of muskmelon.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2020, 03:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Like a cantaloupe with greenish flesh.  Ever see melon balls on a snack tray or salad bar and some of them are green?

Some old country folk call them Mushmelons from the name "muskmelon".  A honeydew is actually a specific type of muskmelon.

Oh yeah, both are good. I guess if I was to choose I would select cantaloupe. I overly salt the crap out of those things though for some reason. I don't use salt on regular food due to BP. But man, I salt that stuff and watermelon too. Something about the flavor is just amazing.

Reply/Quote
Mango
Reply/Quote
A great specimen of some honeydews..

Attached Files Image(s)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2020, 02:50 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: What the hell is a honeydew?

A list of chores your wife makes up for you to do on your off day
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Both, but Honeydew is my favourite Melon. Santa Claus is a close second.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Honeydew.

I worked in a grocery for two years in college and the smell of rotten cantaloupe made it where I can't eat them. Loved them as a kid, but I remember the smell every time I see one 20 years later.
Reply/Quote
I like them both but the ripe smell of a cantaloupe as you approach the garden is almost an intoxicating good. But prefer a good watermelon over both.
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2020, 09:46 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: I like them both but the ripe smell of a cantaloupe as you approach the garden is almost an intoxicating good. But prefer a good watermelon over both.

first time I grew cantaloupes I was covered up when they all got ripe at the same time.  A friend gave me a recipe for frozen cantaloupe sorbet.  I ordered a little homemade ice cream maker.  Got it in 3 days, but by the time I went to harvest the melons most of them were rotting.

I am growing them again this year, but I don't put out as many plants as that first year.

The never have honeydew plants were I buy mine.  Next year I think I'll get some seed and start my own.
Reply/Quote
Same thing here Fred. When they come on it's in bunches. Seems that way with all garden goodies. Enjoy them while we can. Winter will be here soon enough. My melon crop leaves a lot to be desired this year. Not for lack of trying. But I've had some good ones in the past.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2020, 02:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I like them both but I prefer Honeydew.

To me it is kind of like the difference between sweet apples and tart apples.  I prefer the tart apples

Whichever is the sweeter one.  I don't remember.
Reply/Quote