Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pick your favorite single Bengals play since you've been a fan.
(07-13-2020, 02:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No kidding.  We had to convert a 4th down on our end of the field earlier in that drive to even get in position for that TD pass.

That whole season was just batshit crazy.

Week 1...Lose to Broncos on 87 yard td pass with 11 seconds left.

Week 3...Come back from 11 points down in fourth quarter to beat Steelers on td pass to Caldwell with 18 seconds left.  Palmer had to convert two fourth downs on the final drive before throwing the game winning td.

Week 4...Tie game against Browns on Fourth down td pass with 1:55 left.  Win game in overtime on FG with 3 seconds left.  Palmer has to convert 4th and 11 on game winning drive to even get in FG range.

Week 5... Beat Ravens on td pass with 22 seconds left.  Palmer has to convert 4th down on our end of field to keep game winning drive alive.

Week 10...Raiders score 10 points in final 33 seconds to win by 3.

Week 14...Bengals tie game on fg with 57 seconds left.  Chargers win on FG with 3 seconds left.

Week 15...Bengals beat Chiefs on td pass to Chad with 2:05.  Palmer converts four 3rd downs on 92 yard game winning drive.

That season also included an 18-12 victory over the Steelers where we did not score an offensive td, and our 17-7 emotional victory over the Ravens the week Vicki Zimmer died.  The loss to the Chargers was th week Chris Henry died.

Wow, that brings back some memories. Shocked
Reply/Quote
The Jennings return in SBXXIII was a big one, but the touchdown catch Pat McInally made here at home in 1980 against the Browns after he was carted off of the field in the 1st half is one that always sticks out in my mind. In today's game McInally would most likely go into the concussion protocol for 4 to 6 weeks for that vicious hit he took over the middle, back then he came back in the 2nd half and caught a bomb for a TD. Too bad we lost that game though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uGRQQIRsuI
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Offensive: The seventy-something yard TD to AJ Green in Baltimore to bring the Bengals back to win. I was at the game
Defense: Newman’s fumble TD return against Green Bay in 2013. Again, I was there.
Special Teams: Stanford Jennings KO return for a TD in XXIII. No, I was not there.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2020, 12:01 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: Burfict pick in playoff game.

I never felt so relieved and then Hill fumbled and I drove home fighting back tears of rage and depression
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
Really hard to pick just one, but Brian Leonard's catch in the game everyone's mentioning (2009 Stoolers) or the Boyd TD against Bmore in 2017.

B. Leon looked to be tackled a yard or two short, but he sticks his hand in the ground and lunges forward to get the FD! Big Grin

These are the only two plays that whenever I watch them to this day, I shoot both arms up in elation.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Can't really come up with an Offensive play--way too many to pick one.

Speaking of picks, how about 2 Defensive plays?

1. Dre K pick 6 of Peyton Manning

2. WJ3 pick 6 of Aaron Rodgers.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(07-13-2020, 05:22 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Really hard to pick just one, but Brian Leonard's catch in the game everyone's mentioning (2009 Stoolers) 

Yep.  That was a huge play.  It was 4th and 10.

In 2009 the Bengals converted six of eight 4th downs in the 4th quarter and overtime.  Palmer accounted for 5 of the 6.  He was 3-3 passing and scrambled for 2 more.  All 5 of them were in the final 2 minutes of the game, and one of them was a game-tying TD to Chad against the Browns.

The 2 times we failed to convert on a 4th down in 4th quarter that year were just clock killing runs in big wins.  (14 seconds left in 10 point win over Ravens, and another in the 45-10 thrashing of the Bears)
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2020, 12:01 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: Burfict pick in playoff game.

That's kinda like saying: My favorite meal was that lobster Dinner I ate on the Titanic April 14th, 1912
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-13-2020, 06:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: That's kinda like saying: My favorite meal was that lobster Dinner I ate on the Titanic April 14th, 1912

LMAO!!! So true!!! Hilarious Sad
Reply/Quote
Probably my most vivid memory of the 90s was the mnf game against the stealers where We season called a flea flicker to dArnay Scott or Carl Pickens.

I remember it because of how the defense completely imploded on the RB.
Reply/Quote
Offense I have to do with the flip by Simpson .. was a classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zSrs7ohjpA

Defense: 2013 driving raining.. tough roughing the passer in last drive against us with Brady..... backs against the wall late Int by Jones near goal line.. we defeat the GOAT... Could not find a clip so here is game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbBodz8npUw
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2020, 09:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Beat me to it.

#2 was probably Stanford Jennings kick return TD that gave us a 4th quarter lead in SB23.  Our offense, which had been great all year, had played like total crap, but our defense, which was not that good that year, was playing out of their heads against the best offense in the league.  It was 6-6 in the 4th quarter with zero offensive tds, and I really felt the game would be decided on some big play on defense or special teams.  I went nuts when Jennings scored.  At that point I really believed we would win.

I had (and probably still have buried somewhere amidst the rubble) a VHS of that game.  I kept the tape cued to the point where he took it to the house.  Watching at the time I too thought it meant we were going to win, like it was some sort sort of sign, like how could they possibly lose after that, right?  Thirty-one-plus years later and it's still a kick in the 'nads.  

I remember they also had some sort of 3D halftime show and you had to get special glasses at 7-Eleven or some damn thing.  Think the glasses are still with the tape.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2020, 12:38 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Peter Warrick 68-TD punt return against undefeated Chiefs in 2003. At 1:14:50.

https://youtu.be/Dh87IxpYoD4

That Gio run against Miami (2015?) is a close second.

I was at that game and yes... that was awesome.  Too bad Warrick didn't really pan out.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2020, 06:37 PM)JSR18 Wrote: Can't really come up with an Offensive play--way too many to pick one.

Speaking of picks, how about 2 Defensive plays?

1. Dre K pick 6 of Peyton Manning

2. WJ3 pick 6 of Aaron Rodgers.

As far as defensive plays, I like the big hits. Tez had a bunch over the years (some actually legal lol), but Reggie Nelson had some great one’s, too. I’ll never forget the one where he upended Owen Daniels. Reggie was such a beast that year.

https://youtu.be/2N8jOWviaLA

I can’t find the Geno sack I love against Miami where he threw one of the OL into the QB. Used to have a gif of it as my sig for a little while, but it appears to have vanished off the internet...

Reply/Quote
(07-13-2020, 09:03 PM)EatonFan Wrote: I was at that game and yes... that was awesome.  Too bad Warrick didn't really pan out.

Speaking of Kick returns. Seems I remember a Bernard Scott return where Quan Cosby blocked about 3 different times in the return. It's the onlt KR I've seen in my life where one blocker did more than the returner. 

But if I'm voting best KRs kinda hard to top Standford Jennings in the Superbowl 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-13-2020, 09:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Speaking of Kick returns. Seems I remember a Bernard Scott return where Quan Cosby blocked about 3 different times in the return. It's the onlt KR I've seen in my life where one blocker did more than the returner. 

That was a HUGE return.

It was the only TD scored in our 18-12 victory over the Steelers in 2009.

Both teams were 6-2 coming into that game.  
Reply/Quote
This one stands out, in a rather dismal time in Bengals history.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/BengalsRecordBook?src=hashtag_click

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2020, 09:11 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: As far as defensive plays, I like the big hits. Tez had a bunch over the years (some actually legal lol), but Reggie Nelson had some great one’s, too. I’ll never forget the one where he upended Owen Daniels. Reggie was such a beast that year.

https://youtu.be/2N8jOWviaLA

I can’t find the Geno sack I love against Miami where he threw one of the OL into the QB. Used to have a gif of it as my sig for a little while, but it appears to have vanished off the internet...
IIRC, Owen Daniels thanked Reggie in the press for not going low at his knees and not going helmet to helmet. Also said it was the hardest hit he'd ever taken...

The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
Totally OT, but Stanford Jennings, like Sam Wyche, went to Furman. At the same time I was attending another Southern Coference school, UT-Chattanooga. I saw him play in college, and he was a bad ass. Furman had a badass team back then. They won the Southern Conference every year and they also beat some big name schools like Georgia Tech and South Carolina. Jennings was the number 3 RB taken in the '84 draft.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2020, 09:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: This one stands out, in a rather dismal time in Bengals history.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/BengalsRecordBook?src=hashtag_click

I always think of this play when Corey's name comes up. I remember I always had to watch Primetime to get Bengals highlights, and that play was the only thing shown during the Bengals-Lions highlights.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote