Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Place Kickers and Our Kicking Game
(01-23-2019, 12:01 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Its funny; I was in Shake's camp (somewhat) at the beginning of this year (with keeping Fat Randy), but even though by the numbers, he wasn't bad this year, he had a worse year overall, than in '17; for that reason, I'm open to another competition in camp.

Our kickoff coverage is tremendous, but his kicks just don't have an arc on them either.

I will definitely admit, he kicks a much prettier ball than he did in '17.

I'm always open to competition, just like the one Bullock won last year. I'm never in the camp of cutting someone just to be cutting them when you have no idea who you are going to get that's better. And that goes for all positions.....
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 12:08 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm always open to competition, just like the one Bullock won last year. I'm never in the camp of cutting someone just to be cutting them when you have no idea who you are going to get that's better. And that goes for all positions.....
Absolutely agreed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Kickers are always great right up to the moment they're terrible. There's 3 people involved in FG's, snapper, holder and of course kicker.. The kicker almost always gets the blame if something goes wrong.. You almost never hear about a botched hold.. I suspect the holder is responsible for most bad kicks.. I might be wrong, but since you never hear about it I'm probably right. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 05:40 PM)grampahol Wrote: Kickers are always great right up to the moment they're terrible. There's 3 people involved in FG's, snapper, holder and of course kicker.. The kicker almost always gets the blame if something goes wrong.. You almost never hear about a botched hold.. I suspect the holder is responsible for most bad kicks.. I might be wrong, but since you never hear about it I'm probably right. 

Man, who would want the holder job?  You have to, while kneeling, catch a rock flying like a b b, spin the laces and put it on the ground at exactly the angle the kicker wants it with hard hitting guys coming at you low and fast...in the blink of an eye.  Yeah, gimme some of that.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 05:46 PM)McC Wrote: Man, who would want the holder job?  You have to, while kneeling, catch a rock flying like a b b, spin the laces and put it on the ground at exactly the angle the kicker wants it with hard hitting guys coming at you low and fast...in the blink of an eye.  Yeah, gimme some of that.

At least you'd never have to take the blame for screwing up.. It's ALWAYS the kickers fault.. Holders can do no wrong. LOL

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 05:58 PM)grampahol Wrote: At least you'd never have to take the blame for screwing up.. It's ALWAYS the kickers fault.. Holders can do no wrong. LOL

Actually, that's what started the trend to put the punter as the holder; Romo's botched snap in the playoffs.

Typically, you always had the 2nd or 3rd string QB, be the holder, in order for fakes and the like.

The trend was starting to shift to punters, because they spend all their time practicing with the STs anyways, so why deprive a QB from important practice reps, to practice something he won't do much of anyways and make him worry about something else?

So yeah, that's how it goes! lol
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Slightly OT but still fascinating.

-In 2018 FIVE teams made a higher percentage of their FGs than XPs.

-21 teams made a higher percentage of their FGs than the Browns did on XPs (84.2)
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 05:58 PM)grampahol Wrote: At least you'd never have to take the blame for screwing up.. It's ALWAYS the kickers fault.. Holders can do no wrong. LOL

Well, Marino had a whole movie made about a holding mistake and ended up being stalked by a partially sex-changed kicker who couldn't hide Mr Whankie.

Laces out!

I just couldn't resist.

Reply/Quote
I still think the main reason they went with Randy is because of the newer XP distance rule (which I still don't like, the rule that is), and because most field goals are under 40-45 yards. And I don't blame them there either for doing so.

It will be very difficult though to find a kicker that can not only do as good as Randy does under 40 yards, but also drill those 50-55 yarders with ease. Chances are if you want a long distance kicker, there will be a trade-off elsewhere in his kicking game.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
It really makes you wonder just how many kickers have seen their careers go down the sewage pipes all because someone couldn't get the laces turned around the correct way enough times.. I'm almost surprised we don't hear about kickers going postal over holders not getting it done for them.. If someone else cost you your job and never had to take the blame you might have thoughts of visiting their house at night with bad intentions in mind.. lol

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 04:22 PM)Wyche Wrote: With so many more pressing issues at the moment, I'm not sure it is.  Randy is solid and reliable, just not a lot of range.  This is a position that will need to be addressed soon though.

(01-22-2019, 05:12 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Randy was 17-18 inside the 50, and I think his only miss was blocked.

I can live with that.

55 yarders are impressive, but missed sub-40 yarders are the heartbreakers. Nothing worse than losing gimme points and coming away from a drive in or near the red zone with 0 points.

You show me where they can get a guaranteed Justin Tucker, and I will gladly agree, but until then there's nothing wrong with Randy.

Agreed with Wyche and LL. 

Kickers that consistently hit 50+ yarders and are also consistent on everything else are extremely rare. There's only one Justin Tucker on the planet. What we have is a pretty solid guy who is consistent on the shorter kicks, he hits his XP's, and if we need him to hit a 50 yarder, he's shown the range to do so. He's just not going to hit them consistently (he's 3/6 as a Bengal, 8/17 career).

Tbh with Kickers, you're either at the top 5%, your kicker is "just a guy", or your kicker sucks. As long as your kicker doesn't suck, there's little difference. The top kicker in % missed 1 kick in 34 tries this year. The 20th ranked kicker missed 5 kicks in 32 tries. 22 kickers hit at least 82% this year, which is solid...and as Fred pointed out, not many kickers are hitting those 50 yarders often.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2019, 04:07 AM)grampahol Wrote: It really makes you wonder just how many kickers have seen their careers go down the sewage pipes all because someone couldn't get the laces turned around the correct way enough times.. I'm almost surprised we don't hear about kickers going postal over holders not getting it done for them.. If someone else cost you your job and never had to take the blame you might have thoughts of visiting their house at night with bad intentions in mind.. lol

The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2019, 02:06 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I still think the main reason they went with Randy is because of the newer XP distance rule (which I still don't like), and because most field goals are under 40-45 yards. And I don't blame them there either for doing so.

It will be very difficult though to find a kicker that can not only do as good as Randy does under 40 yards, but also drill those 50-55 yarders with ease. Chances are if you want a long distance kicker, there will be a trade-off elsewhere in his kicking game.

Yep, Jon Brown was supposedly really good from 45+, but couldn't hit an extra point to save his life. Randy is consistent, he may not have the length other kickers have, but he rarely misses from 45 in. If the offense does it's job, you shouldn't be kicking 50 yard field goals anyway. Plus, I tend to like Fat Randy just because of the grief his gets here..... Tongue
Reply/Quote

Tell that to Tony Romo. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote