Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plant based meat
Time will be the biggest decider of whether you'll eat plant based foods or not. it may be the market that decides for you if everyone gets out of the slaughtering business even though that one is a very remote possibility. Legislation might also decide at some point, but i think this is all very far down the road in our lives..I doubt it'll ever happen in my life

Anyway, i still eat both meat and fruits and vegetables. i eat a LOT of fruit so I call myself a fruitarian. I had a great steak two days ago, but if I thought I could completely avoid meat products I would, but for now the science and progress in making them taste good just isn't quite there.
I do agree with the idea of fake meat seems like the dumbest idea ever. If you want to be a vegetarian there's plenty of ways to go about that without trying to trick your brain into thinking you're eating something you're not. That's like inventing shoes that try to trick your brain into believing you're riding in a rocket to Mars.. It just doesn't work. I've eaten at restaurants, mostly Indian where everything on the menu is vegetarian.. Some I like, some not.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2021, 12:33 PM)grampahol Wrote: Time will be the biggest decider of whether you'll eat plant based foods or not. it may be the market that decides for you if everyone gets out of the slaughtering business even though that one is a very remote possibility. Legislation might also decide at some point, but i think this is all very far down the road in our lives..I doubt it'll ever happen in my life

Anyway, i still eat both meat and fruits and vegetables. i eat a LOT of fruit so I call myself a fruitarian. I had a great steak two days ago, but if I thought I could completely avoid meat products I would, but for now the science and progress in making them taste good just isn't quite there.
I do agree with the idea of fake meat seems like the dumbest idea ever. If you want to be a vegetarian there's plenty of ways to go about that without trying to trick your brain into thinking you're eating something you're not. That's like inventing shoes that try to trick your brain into believing you're riding in a rocket to Mars.. It just doesn't work. I've eaten at restaurants, mostly Indian where everything on the menu is vegetarian.. Some I like, some not.

I could see legislation more than market moving away from having so much meat.  Here in Colorado where there are many cattle ranches, I can tell you they've got no desire to go anywhere, and they're not having trouble at all finding buyers.  Actually, what's happened is more people are starting to look at buying direct from ranchers, because of the cost and quality.  Not everyone has the space or wants to drop $2,500 on a side of beef, but it costs quite a bit less than store prices when considering it's hundreds of pounds of meat, it's butchered to spec and can be some of the highest quality meat anywhere.  And it's not just beef, but pork, poultry and even lamb.  Out west it's not hard to find, and the shift I'm seeing around here is less about reducing meat, and more about changing the sourcing. 
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2021, 03:50 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I could see legislation more than market moving away from having so much meat.  Here in Colorado where there are many cattle ranches, I can tell you they've got no desire to go anywhere, and they're not having trouble at all finding buyers.  Actually, what's happened is more people are starting to look at buying direct from ranchers, because of the cost and quality.  Not everyone has the space or wants to drop $2,500 on a side of beef, but it costs quite a bit less than store prices when considering it's hundreds of pounds of meat, it's butchered to spec and can be some of the highest quality meat anywhere.  And it's not just beef, but pork, poultry and even lamb.  Out west it's not hard to find, and the shift I'm seeing around here is less about reducing meat, and more about changing the sourcing. 

I went to have one butchered in January. The butcher I have went to since 2011 said he was booked up for almost 2 years and everyone else he knew was the same. I had to do it myself and expect I will have to for the next few years.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(06-03-2021, 04:13 PM)Synric Wrote: I went to have one butchered in January. The butcher I have went to since 2011 said he was booked up for almost 2 years and everyone else he knew was the same. I had to do it myself and expect I will have to for the next few years.

Yeah, it's crazy.  They got really back-logged last year because with Covid, a lot of processing places stopped production, and shipping of processed meat was slowed so all these people started sourcing locally, and from what I gather it's not slowing down.  Pretty wild to me, who never was in that circle prior to last year. 
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2021, 12:18 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: Fruits ?

Actually, fruits are the only eatable thing where you don't kill the other living thing you eat from.

If you see life in an expanded thing. 

You kill the salad too when you eat it but you don't kill the tree if you are eating fruits.

You're eating babies!!!!!

As to the OP, I am a carnivore through and through.  There are VERY few things that I will eat that are not meat.  Recently I was recently looking at a web list of the unhealthiest foods.  As is usually the case, most of my favorites were in the top 10.  What was surprising though, in the top 10 was plant based meat.  It seems there is a stupid amount of processing involved that makes it worse for the human body than a lean meat protein that is prepared in a healthy manner.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2021, 09:39 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Recently I was recently looking at a web list of the unhealthiest foods.

Was this recent?  Wink
Reply/Quote
Because of heart trouble I don't eat a lot of meat and when I do eat it I try to avoid high fat content except when it's a steak which is not as often as I might personally enjoy, but again..the old ticker. The single most consumed food I eat by far is still fruit. There's no fat in it, plenty of water and vitamins and best of all LOTS of fiber to make crapping a bit easier..Trust me on this..as you age you won't enjoy having stents put in or having heart attacks.. You are what you eat so if you wanna be a cow keep eating cow, but cows don't live very long..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-03-2021, 10:51 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: heres the question...

If you dont want to eat meat... Why try and make plants Taste like meat?    Cause if you want it to taste like meat just eat meat.  makes no Sense.

Personally would sooner eat Rat Burgers via demolition man than fake meat.

Nice Demo Man reference Xeno.  "A burger and a beer if you got one..."You see any cows around here John Spartan?" lol

Prego. Hilarious Cool
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2021, 01:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice Demo Man reference Xeno.  "A burger and a beer if you got one..."You see any cows around here John Spartan?" lol

Prego. Hilarious Cool

MY Blue ray copy of it arrives today...    Its been so long since i gave away all my VHS and havent owned it since
Reply/Quote
I am currently working on the development of imitation kale made out of lard and chicken skin.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2021, 10:35 PM)grampahol Wrote: Because of heart trouble I don't eat a lot of meat and when I do eat it I try to avoid high fat content except when it's a steak which is not as often as I might personally enjoy, but again..the old ticker. The single most consumed food I eat by far is still fruit. There's no fat in it, plenty of water and vitamins and best of all LOTS of fiber to make crapping a bit easier..Trust me on this..as you age you won't enjoy having stents put in or having heart attacks.. You are what you eat so if you wanna be a cow keep eating cow, but cows don't live very long..

It's been proven over the years that saturated fat isn't nearly as bad for you as sugar and simple carbohydrates. There are also questions lately on if fruits are really as good for you as people once claimed they are. They are loaded with sugar (although natural sugars, no refined) and people wonder if the benefits of fruit actually outweigh the negatives. 

I encourage you to do a little research on it and ask your doctor.  
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I had a heart attack 2 weeks ago with open heart surgery last week. Been out of the hospital for 3 days now and I hate how drastically my diet is changing. I assume as my lifestyle eating changes, I’m prolly going to be eating a lot of stuff that triggers a memory of something delicious to my tastebuds. WTS, I,m really going to miss my bacon.

Reply/Quote
(06-04-2021, 02:42 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I had a heart attack 2 weeks ago with open heart surgery last week. Been out of the hospital for 3 days now and I hate how drastically my diet is changing. I assume as my lifestyle eating changes, I’m prolly going to be eating a lot of stuff that triggers a memory of something delicious to my tastebuds. WTS, I,m really going to miss my bacon.

My Dad had a heart attack 11 years ago and we as a family had a massive change in diet. Basically less salt more exercise and more fresh fruit and vegetables. Once you get used to it it's not that bad.

We just get the low sodium bacon or the center cut bacon when we want Bacon and it's not bad at all.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2021, 01:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice Demo Man reference Xeno.  "A burger and a beer if you got one..."You see any cows around here John Spartan?" lol

Prego. Hilarious Cool

Watched it for the first time a few months ago; not a Stallone fan, but an AWESOME film; Snipes is bomb.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2021, 10:49 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Same. I had a beyond meat burger and it was gross. It also gave me the worst shits I've had in years. 

People think this stuff is healthier for you, but it's just not. Its engineered in a lab and has a ton of additives in it. If your eating it to save the environment or are vegan that's one thing, but if your eating it to be healthier than eh...there are better options. 

Sorry to hear that; I think BM is SO delicious, I will sometimes grab one instead of a burger, the odd time I go for fast food (but I already eat FF MAYBE twice a month, so it's really few and far-between).

My sister has been vegan for nearly 10 years now, so I've eaten a crap-ton of the imitations, the plant-based meat (like Beyond, Impossible, LightLife, etc.) and the just pure vegan stuff in general; a lot of it is nasty, a lot of it is delicious, some of it is, "meh."

I will say that for the imitators, chicken/poultry is far and away the most-nasty; there is rarely a good vegan product that is a chicken or turkey imitator.

I did get a cookbook, back in 2014 (literally only bought it because of the swearing in it... but the recipes are PHENOMENAL) that is vegan and after making a bunch of recipes, got the second book... then got the third lol. I've made... I'd say around 30 of the dishes/meals from those cookbooks and I must say, they have all been superb, save for one or two; they don't require you to buy imitators or even make imitators, just delicious plant meals, like bean burgers, vegan pancakes and waffles (their recipes for both are insanely-good), vegan desserts, etc.

I actually made their vegan Buckeyes once and they were so damn good; a great, State sweet!
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2021, 02:19 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: It's been proven over the years that saturated fat isn't nearly as bad for you as sugar and simple carbohydrates. There are also questions lately on if fruits are really as good for you as people once claimed they are. They are loaded with sugar (although natural sugars, no refined) and people wonder if the benefits of fruit actually outweigh the negatives. 

I encourage you to do a little research on it and ask your doctor.  

Eating meat and sugar is fine. It's about a balanced diet.

I understand people with heart issues or diabetics etc. have special diets but that doesnt affect the average person. Eating a balanced diet, not over indulging, and of course exercise is how you stay healthy.

Myself as a balance to my life style I eat a Grapefruit at least 4 days a week and drink Green Tea even though I hate both. I'm very hard on my liver. Lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Is the eggplant emoji about plant based meat?
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2021, 10:12 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Was this recent?  Wink

Couple of years back... Cool
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2021, 01:24 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: MY Blue ray copy of it arrives today...    Its been so long since i gave away all my VHS and havent owned it since

I have it on regular DVD, one of my faves of all time. Sly and Snipes kill this film.

Sandra Bullock is a babe, such a sweety, Dennis Leary is hilarious. Demolition Man is one fun damn show to watch. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2021, 02:42 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I had a heart attack 2 weeks ago with open heart surgery last week. Been out of the hospital for 3 days now and I hate how drastically my diet is changing. I assume as my lifestyle eating changes, I’m prolly going to be eating a lot of stuff that triggers a memory of something delicious to my tastebuds. WTS, I,m really going to miss my bacon.

My brother, so sorry to hear this my friend. God bless you and I am praying for you now my brother.

Follow your heart though, eating what they always tell you is not always the truth. Stay away from preservatives. Mellow

You are my bro Harley I want you around for our Lombardi. ThumbsUp

You always get me through the tough times with your great humor bud. Wink
Reply/Quote