Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Play calling by committee?
(10-10-2022, 05:31 PM)pally Wrote: Maybe the problem isn't Zac but too many voices having a say.  He literally listed 5 people in addition to himself who has input on playcalling on the headsets

Explains why 4 years in they have yet to establish an identity
Reply/Quote
After passing on the 1st play of the game and getting a 1st down, we then ran on 1st down 5 times in a row. In the first quarter, in 10 plays the ball ended in someone's hands not name Joe or Ja'Maar only once. Until 7 minutes left in the half, Joe never attempted a pass over 10 yards. Until less than 2 minutes in the half, Burrow did not throw an incomplete pass to someone not named Ja'Marr Chase.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 05:31 PM)pally Wrote: Maybe the problem isn't Zac but too many voices having a say.  He literally listed 5 people in addition to himself who has input on playcalling on the headsets

Maybe I'm being too cynical, but that sounds like BS. I think he just doesn't wanna take the blame. Even if it were true, proper "coach speak" would be "it falls on me" or just avoid the blame game altogether. And it does fall on him, or at least Callahan. I know we all have heard head coaches say that, even if we knew it wasn't true. Total amateur move by Zac. 95% of the time you keep that stuff in house.

That being said, if that playcalling is the best that 5 people can come up with, I hate to say this, but that means it'll be a loooooooong season for the Bengals, also means an overhaul should be in order. But I don't believe him anyway. The good news is, this means he knows he screwed up.

This season isn't lost, yall. Way too much talent, just a bummer about the lost momentum. From an outside supporter's perspective, it wasn't a blowout. Even with the bad decisions, it was ONE POINT which COULD (not saying "would") have been easily negated. I'm optimistic, less so than I will be next season. 
Reply/Quote
Maybe Zac needs to give up play calling and just take notes on the sideline with a little notepad like Bill Belicheck does for the Patriots.
Reply/Quote
I have a hard time believing that 5 people is having say on the play calling. They might all be listening to what play is being called but not on the decision making. There's not enough time between plays for that many guys to have input.
Reply/Quote
If that is true then id love to see Zac with the duties alone.

No way 5 dudes called that weak ass Philly special
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 07:45 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Well your offense is terrible Zac so fix it.  This isn’t Ryan Finley throwing to AJs corpse anymore. If it stays bad it’s your fault.

Nice. I literally laughed out loud at this comment. Truth as well.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2022, 11:15 PM)BacknDaDey Wrote: I have a hard time believing that 5 people is having say on the play calling.  They might all be listening to what play is being called but not on the decision making.  There's not enough time between plays for that many guys to have input.

So all of the reporters, coaches, and radio guys are full of shit? LMAO

Again, the committee is between series.....they go over what they like, what they don't, tendencies, etc. Between plays the convo is between ZT, BC, and analytics. It's quoted there, typed in other places, and discussed elsewhere in here to boot. To me, it's too complicated, but maybe more teams do this than we realize. 

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Jesus, does anyone read or listen anymore? LOL

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2022, 02:34 PM)Wyche Wrote: The committee is between series....then it's Brian/Zac/analytics on plays. The plays are suggested during the time between series. That, or Dave Lapham is a liar. I guess we can all make that call ourselves, but I believe Dave. 

No way am I calling Lap a liar. Heck many times wished he would quit telling the truth about who the Bengals were drafting days before the draft even happened. 

Love the dude, but exactly who the Bengals planned on drafting should've remained confidential lol. 

Yet it never cost us, so no harm no foul in my book. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Yeah I'm in agreement that this is just a bad plan, definition of too many cooks in the kitchen. He may have been sharing blame but that exposes a bad plan, does anyone else do this? I guess it comes down to what communicate means. The talking after every series sounds like a mess.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2022, 03:59 AM)phil413 Wrote: Yeah I'm in agreement that this is just a bad plan, definition of too many cooks in the kitchen.  He may have been sharing blame but that exposes a bad plan, does anyone else do this?  I guess it comes down to what communicate means.  The talking after every series sounds like a mess.

I agree, it sounds way too complicated. I also wonder if anyone else does this.

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2022, 10:08 AM)Wyche Wrote: I agree, it sounds way too complicated. I also wonder if anyone else does this.

I wonder if McVay does it this way and that's where Zac learned it.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2022, 11:26 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I wonder if McVay does it this way and that's where Zac learned it.

I had the same thought, and assumed the answer is "yes". He's following the suit of his mentor. It worked for McVay, he won a Super Bowl in case you didn't know.  Cry Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2022, 03:59 AM)phil413 Wrote: Yeah I'm in agreement that this is just a bad plan, definition of too many cooks in the kitchen.  He may have been sharing blame but that exposes a bad plan, does anyone else do this?  I guess it comes down to what communicate means.  The talking after every series sounds like a mess.

Totally agree.  Can you imagine what it sounds like in the headset with all that chatter?  I wonder if Zac's headset trumps the others or has a "MUTE ALL" button?  LMAO

Kinda sounds like a bunch of B.S. to me.  Pass the buck a little more why don't ya?
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2022, 10:08 AM)Wyche Wrote: I agree, it sounds way too complicated. I also wonder if anyone else does this.

I can't imagine any team having 5 guys or whatever talking at the same time calling plays. Like has been said too many cooks. During halftime, practice, maybe even while defense is on field but not during offense.

I can see one guy in the booth and one guy on the field. Any more just muddles it way too much IMHO.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2022, 11:49 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I can't imagine any team having 5 guys or whatever taking at the same time calling plays. Like has been said too many cooks. During halftime, practice, maybe even while defense is on field but not during offense.

I can see one guy in the booth and one guy on the field. Any more just muddles it way too much IMHO.

I agree. Too cumbersome.

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 05:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He needs to focus on being the HC. He was already super young for it (and probably not ready). Taking too much onto his plate did not help one bit.

Yep, too many minds. Zac should primarily step aside and let Brian Callahan take over the duties of Offensive Coordinator
and play caller. When I hear Brian talk he is extremely smart, so I think he could do better than Zac, not saying Zac is dumb
but he just isn't a good play caller and we need less complications at this point on Offense.
Reply/Quote
Well, no changes.

We’ll see how long Zac can insist on this until something caves
Reply/Quote