Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Player playing most critical role on the team.....
According to Burrow, is the guy everyone here says is overpaid and underused.... Gio.

https://www.bengals.com/video/joe-burrow-on-play-calling-his-development-and-the-process

8:14 into the interview.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 09:34 AM)Sled21 Wrote: According to Burrow, is the guy everyone here says is overpaid and underused.... Gio.

https://www.bengals.com/video/joe-burrow-on-play-calling-his-development-and-the-process

He is an elite pass blocker. Fans don't value it, but it's the reason Mixon doesn't get as much 3rd down work as people would like. Mixon has consistently missed "Read and Release" blocks this year that have led to sacks, there was one specifically against Baltimore that was ugly. Gio is so good at waiting until he is positive his responsibility is met before he releases.
Reply/Quote
He is the main guy keeping Burrow alive lol of course he would say that.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 09:34 AM)Sled21 Wrote: According to Burrow, is the guy everyone here says is overpaid and underused.... Gio.

He's overpaid because he's underused.  If they'd incorporate him more into the game plan I wouldn't think twice about his contract.  Love Gio.  
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
It took 21 games for the coach, in his 2nd year to finally figure out that with a bad offensive line like ours, it would require to use Gio to help out the line to help Burrow (the QB). Let that sink in.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 10:20 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: It took 21 games for the coach, in his 2nd year to finally figure out that with a bad offensive line like ours, it would require to use Gio to help out the line to help Burrow (the QB). Let that sink in.

We’ve used Gio plenty the last 21 games to protect the QB, what are you talking about?
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 10:25 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: We’ve used Gio plenty the last 21 games to protect the QB, what are you talking about?

I dont think they've used him enough.Whatever
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 10:28 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: I dont think they've used him enough.Whatever

Pretty much every 3rd down play....
Reply/Quote
Gio had that blitz pickup that was so glorious that I let out a Holy S*** when it happened. He is stands in.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 10:20 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: It took 21 games for the coach, in his 2nd year to finally figure out that with a bad offensive line like ours, it would require to use Gio to help out the line to help Burrow (the QB). Let that sink in.

It’s funny because just last week, Dan Hoard interviewed Munoz and asked him how he would fix a struggling line. His answer was give the guys help with TE’s and RB’s. Lo and behold, a couple days later during the Browns game, that’s what we saw.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 10:37 AM)Destro Wrote: Gio had that blitz pickup that was so glorious that I let out a Holy S*** when it happened. He is stands in.

He did, and on other 3rd downs he acts as tho he's the 6th Olineman. As small as he is he be right there with the big ugly's. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I complemented Gio on his play in last weeks game thread and was told the following.

"He had some nice plays in the passing game, but 37 yds 2.8 average on the ground is abysmal"
Reply/Quote
This is why Mixon is not worth $12 million. He sucks at blitz pickup.

Gio should be playing nearly every 3rd down and some on 1st & 2nd, even with Mixon healthy. I'd like some 2 back as well.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 11:07 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: I complemented Gio on his play in last weeks game thread and was told the following.

"He had some nice plays in the passing game, but 37 yds 2.8 average on the ground is abysmal"

I mean...is that not true? 2.8 YPC is not good.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
2.8 isn't a good average.

Not sure that's all on Gio's shoulder with all the contributions he's been making when given the chance.

Joe can/should/will learn a lot of from him.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 11:13 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I mean...is that not true? 2.8 YPC is not good.

On the season, he's averaging 3.2 YPC, not great but livable.

What is a bit more impressive is 21 Rec for 174 YDS, 8.3 YDS/REC.

On the season, he's averaging 5.5 YDS/Touch.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 11:07 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: I complemented Gio on his play in last weeks game thread and was told the following.

That was me. And I stand by it. Our running game sucks.

That doesn’t take away from other things Gio does.

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 11:53 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: On the season, he's averaging 3.2 YPC, not great but livable.

What is a bit more impressive is 21 Rec for 174 YDS, 8.3 YDS/REC.

On the season, he's averaging 5.5 YDS/Touch.

I disagree.
30 qualified RBs have 4.0+ YPC. Qualified = 40+ carries on the season.
Another 7 have 3.5+.
The number of RBs at that mark or higher is way more if you remove the qualified restriction.

Livable to me is 3.5+. Desired is 4.0+.
Bernard is below acceptable to me, especially given he's 18th highest paid RB on a yearly average.

With that said, I really do like him as a pass catcher and blocker.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 12:12 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I disagree.
30 qualified RBs have 4.0+ YPC. Qualified = 40+ carries on the season.
Another 7 have 3.5+.

Livable to me is 3.5+. Desired is 4.0+.
Bernard is below acceptable to me.

With that said, I really do like him as a pass catcher and blocker.

When you compare him to our featured back, he's got higher averages in 2 categories.

Mixon:  3.6 YPC, 6.6 YD/Rec, 4.0 YDS/Touch

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 12:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: When you compare him to our featured back, he's got higher averages in 2 categories.

Mixon:  3.6 YPC, 6.6 YD/Rec, 4.0 YDS/Touch

I'm not arguing that he isn't valuable as a pass blocker or pass catcher. But he's not as good running the ball.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote