Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1.33 Average
Players Are Coming To Bengals Because Of Joe Burrow
(03-31-2023, 02:43 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think that people think this, but really...outside of Orlando Brown (who we offered the most money to), there's no evidence of this.

What I read on Brown is that the league viewed him as a RT, but the Bengals were willing to play him at LT. And he wants to play LT. So we offered him the most  money.

Supposedly, we inquired about Brown, and were out. Then when the market didn't form. We came back in.

Just last year KC offered him a 6 year 139mil contract to be their LT. Maybe he didn't get an offer like that this year but we don't know what offers he got or that no one else sees him a LT. 

That said, I agree that's there's no evidence that FA come/stay here because of Burrow. Like others have said, it's just something people keep saying without evidence. 
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 04:16 PM)TheFan Wrote: Just last year KC offered him a 6 year 139mil contract to be their LT. Maybe he didn't get an offer like that this year but we don't know what offers he got or that no one else sees him a LT. 

That said, I agree that's there's no evidence that FA come/stay here because of Burrow. Like others have said, it's just something people keep saying without evidence. 

When your team has a quarterback like Burrow and is making moves to improve the team around him, it shows stability and that the roster won't be blown up or looking for big changes, meaning that, as long as a player does their job, they don't have to worry as much about their future. 

Also, players will get something like $400,000 extra if we win the Super Bowl, which not every player is loaded and that could go a long way for a lot of players.

Also, players like playing behind a leader like Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 04:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: When Burrow is making $50 mill a year, Chase and Tee $25 million...it's going to be significantly harder to add free agents. So we better get guys willing to take less.

I'd love to keep Tee. I just can't see how it works out without hurting the team elsewhere.

I am so against keeping Tee. 

You keep Chase and let Tee walk. The money you would be paying Tee is better used elswhere (OL and DL)
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 03:42 PM)Synric Wrote: I've heard a few players this off-season casually throw out the Bengals as potential landing places because they are winning.

Yep, Taylor Lewan, Patrick Peterson, Zeke Elliott etc.

(03-31-2023, 04:07 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Money drives players in this league where the window to get paid is small for most and could shut on any play they get a major injury on. Like every person, doing what's best for their family steers most career decisions.

If it comes down to picking between several teams for same price though ? Then the Bengals being a SB contender definitely could sway decisions and Burrow is a big part of the Bengals being a SB contender.

Think Burrow will get an aging vet that is financially set already to come here to chase a ring eventually, probably a WR or TE.

Although that has yet to happen, but think that sort of player will be a camp cut and last minute addition.

It's not surprising that Zeke through out winning teams he wanted to go to per he has already been paid and career is coming to a close

Spot on. It didn't happen this FA, but in the future I could definitely see some aging vets chasing rings want to come here over other
teams because our window will be open as long as Burrow plays for the Bengals. This is real even if Pistons and Stewy make good 
points about some of our guys leaving. Once Burrow is paid up, what the OP said could happen.

Right now we are stashing dough for Burrow, Chase and Wilson. Sure seems like we are going to try and extend Tee too even though
I know others will want to put that money in the trenches which I understand.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 04:26 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: When your team has a quarterback like Burrow and is making moves to improve the team around him, it shows stability and that the roster won't be blown up or looking for big changes, meaning that, as long as a player does their job, they don't have to worry as much about their future. 

Also, players will get something like $400,000 extra if we win the Super Bowl, which not every player is loaded and that could go a long way for a lot of players.

Also, players like playing behind a leader like Burrow.

Yet nothing has shown that players are more willing to come here or not leave. No one has taken a discount to come play with Burrow. Players are going to do what's in their best interest monetarily, as they should.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 03:36 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Well, then its based on contract structure and guaranteed money most likely - which is still an indictement on the front office. 

They only have so much cash in hand and they are going to need a lot for Joe and JaMarr.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It's really difficult to tell if there's any truth to this. Players are always going to say nice things about the team that just signed them. I'm sure every Jaguars FA signing said something similar about Trevor Lawrence.

Players 99% of the time are just looking for the ideal situation to either get paid or position themselves to get paid in the future.

Does Joe (and winning) help in that regard? Sure, in many cases. That said, the idea that players just want to win and play with Joe because he's so cool and such a leader?

That's probably not true.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 04:16 PM)TheFan Wrote: Just last year KC offered him a 6 year 139mil contract to be their LT. Maybe he didn't get an offer like that this year but we don't know what offers he got or that no one else sees him a LT. 

Read the link I posted. It absolutely states that the league viewed him as a RT and somehow his value declined a lot.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 03:36 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Well, then its based on contract structure and guaranteed money most likely - which is still an indictment on the front office. 

Just because you don't like it, doesn't make it an indictment.  It just means you don't like it.  Unlike armchair GMs (fans) they have to worry about hte health of the franchise 5 and 10 yaers from now.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 02:47 PM)kevin Wrote: The evidence is that these players are saying they came here because of Joe Burrow. That and the fact Nobody ever wanted to come here before Joe Burrow.  So lock Burrow in long term, he is a recruiting chip to bring in other good players.  

It would be nice, and Im sure if everything was equal we might now have more of an edge than ever before, but what do you expect new signees to say?

Burrow is the #1 aspect of the Bengals so inevitably he will be the reason stated and wining is also a positive,

I doubt they would be blunt and say this was the best deal they could get....

Perine left for Russ Wilson?

Bates left for Desmond Ridder?

Von Bell left for Andy Dalton?

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 04:41 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I am so against keeping Tee. 

You keep Chase and let Tee walk. The money you would be paying Tee is better used elswhere (OL and DL)

Agree and think it's a big mistake. Great player and get the allure, but they should just be keeping either Chase or Tee, not both imo. Too much money to keep both unless Burrow is taking a major pay cut. 

Yet love the idea of them 3 playing together, just don't see how the Bengals field a good team around them paying with almost half their cap to only 3 players. 

Hope they work it out somehow, the FO has been very savvy lately so maybe they surprise me. Just don't see it though and think a hard decision needs to be made.     

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 08:32 PM)Stewy Wrote: Just because you don't like it, doesn't make it an indictment.  It just means you don't like it.  Unlike armchair GMs (fans) they have to worry about hte health of the franchise 5 and 10 yaers from now.

Yes. And Burrow, Chase, and maybe Higgins will get large bonuses.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2023, 11:27 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree and think it's a big mistake. Great player and get the allure, but they should just be keeping either Chase or Tee, not both imo. Too much money to keep both unless Burrow is taking a major pay cut. 

Yet love the idea of them 3 playing together, just don't see how the Bengals field a good team around them paying with almost half their cap to only 3 players. 

Hope they work it out somehow, the FO has been very savvy lately so maybe they surprise me. Just don't see it though and think a hard decision needs to be made.     

So, if Burrow is the guy...he shouldn't need the top wr group in the nfl.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 05:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yep, Taylor Lewan, Patrick Peterson, Zeke Elliott etc.

Spot on. It didn't happen this FA, but in the future I could definitely see some aging vets chasing rings want to come here over other
teams because our window will be open as long as Burrow plays for the Bengals. This is real even if Pistons and Stewy make good 
points about some of our guys leaving. Once Burrow is paid up, what the OP said could happen.

Right now we are stashing dough for Burrow, Chase and Wilson. Sure seems like we are going to try and extend Tee too even though
I know others will want to put that money in the trenches which I understand.

I think it could happen. It just hasn't happened yet which was the premise of the thread.

It's hard to say the roster improved at this point. Brown is an upgrade, but we've got worse at Safety. RT is a question mark. CB might have issues too depending on Chidos health. TE is worse on paper.

Of course, the draft has yet to happen.

But, we haven't had some major influx of free agents. 
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2023, 12:41 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes. And Burrow, Chase, and maybe Higgins will get large bonuses.

Yes but arm chair GMs have tunnel vision.  Armchair GMs/Fans, "Not spending money NOW means money will never be spent = CHEAP FO!!!!  *rage*  *cry*  *rage*"
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2023, 12:59 PM)Stewy Wrote: Yes but arm chair GMs have tunnel vision.  Armchair GMs/Fans, "Not spending money NOW means money will never be spent = CHEAP FO!!!!  *rage*  *cry*  *rage*"

I do wonder this...so Burrow, Chase, and Higgins put up x yards combined for say $15 million cap hit.

We could end up paying them $100 million for similar production.

Their production could go up somewhat, but it's not going to double.

This is a fundamental problem in my mind that I can't solve.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2023, 11:27 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree and think it's a big mistake. Great player and get the allure, but they should just be keeping either Chase or Tee, not both imo. Too much money to keep both unless Burrow is taking a major pay cut. 

They can extend Tee Higgins this summer. Ja'Marr is under team control til the 2026 season. They don't have to both be making big money at the same time. There are creative ways to make this work. Katie's getting a lot of praise lately. She can figure this out.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2023, 01:38 PM)jason Wrote: They can extend Tee Higgins this summer. Ja'Marr is under team control til the 2026 season. They don't have to both be making big money at the same time. There are creative ways to make this work. Katie's getting a lot of praise lately. She can figure this out.

I'm one of the ones heaping praise upon her

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 02:43 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think that people think this, but really...outside of Orlando Brown (who we offered the most money to), there's no evidence of this.

What I read on Brown is that the league viewed him as a RT, but the Bengals were willing to play him at LT. And he wants to play LT. So we offered him the most  money.

Supposedly, we inquired about Brown, and were out. Then when the market didn't form. We came back in.

(03-31-2023, 03:30 PM)Whacked Wrote: Ouch if true

- I don't believe this to be true at all. Reports came out after the signing that several teams with enough cap space inquired about Brown... none of which were the Bengals. Brown's camp reached out the THEM first because he wanted to come to Cincy. He also took less than what the Bears would/could have given him. He didn't even entertain other offers. Brown's camp offered the Bengals a steal because he told them to get it done and that is where he wanted to be. I don't believe the Bengals even negotiated much. Brown's agents bascially said, "how about this" and the Bengals jumped at it.

^ This has been reported multiple places. Locked on Bengals covered this quite well.

- Irv Smith also had multiple offers and choose the Bengals for less money. This makes since if you look at how mjch coin playing with Burrow made Uzomah & Hurst. But he specifically stated Burrow and winning in his interviews sknce signing.

I believe the Joe Burrow culture shift will be happening in Cincy for several years as long as they win. High potential guys or higher valued players may look at the club for a bit less money as a strong option either because they want legacy and a family feel, or as a launching pad to jump start their career again.

Bottom line is this: Cincy no longer has to pay a PREMIUM to get strong players in the builiding and some are taking a bit less to do so. This is apparent. -10% discoint is better than a +20% permium!
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2023, 03:12 PM)Go Cards Wrote: I'm one of the ones heaping praise upon her

Me too... She's badass.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote