Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1.33 Average
Players Are Coming To Bengals Because Of Joe Burrow
(04-03-2023, 09:04 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Not always. 

Pratt seemed like he took a haircut to stay. Scott had other offers. Guys want to win, too. If the money is close (or the player already has had a big payday), winning & fit & culture play a part. As does having a prior relationship with a coach or coordinator. 

I think it's a small to moderate factor in players coming here. But, so far it hasn't been the major factor where a guy takes way less.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2023, 08:55 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I thought Dehner's story said they were never in the market for him because they figured he would be way out of their price range, and that's why they were so shocked when his camp contacted them? I think Radicevic even said they didn't do any work on him. 

I've read different things.

'Brown said several teams showed interest in him during the legal tampering period, but the Bengals showed the most.'

Also, in that article the Chiefs wanted to move him to RT according to reports.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2023/03/17/how-orlando-brown-shocked-nfl-world-and-became-a-cincinnati-bengal/70021924007/
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 08:20 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The Reader deal was different than Orlando, who was running out of options and Smith, who's dad opinion was the deciding factor. Reader had similar offers on the table from the Bengals and Broncos, but the Broncos had Drew Lock and the Bengals were getting the Heisman trophy winner. In Reader's case, playing with Burrow was the deciding factor.

As great as Joe is, he's not going to be the primary reason to come here for every free agent. 

I think it's asinine to say that FAs sign with any team just for 1 player or guy that is here. That would be extremely rare. To say he is the only reason people come to Cincy is wrong. But, to say he is the BIGGEST wouldn't be.

- Looking at who has signed in Cincy over the last 3 seasons it is an easy conclusion to draw that players who would typically either not consider the Bengals, or would only consider the Bengals for a huge premium now do so because of Joe Burrow and what he means to the organization. he legitimized the Bengals.

- I think ZT and Joe have absolutely transformed the org - I give ZT tremendous credit for that - but he absolutley needed a Joe Burrow to come along and make it happen on the field.  I think that is is easy to see that the Bengals no longer have to over pay FAs due to who their QB is, the team culture shift because of that QB, and winning.

- Now a days, the Bengals put out competitive offers and typically get a guy signed. This is absolutely in large part... not 100%... but in large part to who the QB is and how the team has performed due to his success and persona.

- If you doubt this, cause and effect are very easy to see here. Before Joe Burrow what FAs did the Bengals attract? Look at the guys who used the Bengals to stroke deals elsewhere. That doesn't happen now. Guys come in and sign. The Bengals are getting premium guys at good contracts. Did that happen with Carson? Marvin? Dalton? Absolutely not. 20 years history of crap FAs vs the last 3 and there's 1 major change: Joe Burrow and the culture shift that came with him.

Kenny Golladay did trot the Bengals name out there recently to generate a buzz, but that would look to be the last guy to do so at this point and an abberation. That seemed to be his agent putting stuff out there.

- Look at the recruitment of players recently and what they all say after. Collins, Reif, the defensive guys even talk about Burrow after their recruitment dinners. Joe Burrow is WIDELY respected by the players and HUGE for the org. in recruiting FAs.

Lost in this, too, is what Hayden Hurst said about the coaching staff. They do a great job. He said that during his recruitment that for the first time in his career a staff sat him down and laid out a plan for him for the season and his long term success in the league. They told him how they would use him and how that would translate into future deals somewhere (or Cincy). If Joe wasn't the QB, though, I couldn't imagine any player would put stock into what ZT's sales pitch was. Do you think the CHarges can do that? The Vikings? The Seahawks? Saints? Bears? Cowboys? It is ULTRA rare to have a coach/staff like this AND a QB who they can point to and say "There's the man" and other players believe it.

^ To ignore this as THE biggest factor in people signign fair deals with the Bengals (rather than them having to get gouged for a premium) is weird to me. Also, Brown signed fairly quickly in the FA period. I don't think the league was blowing him off or writing him off. That doesn't compute. He is an outstanding player who chose Cincy after makign them an incredibly generous deal. Every outlet said it was a steal.... The player agreed to and sought that out WITH THE BENGALS. Why poopoo it? 
Reply/Quote
Riley reiff before signing: I had dinner with Joe last might and I walked away thinking I want to play and protect this guy

Gronk: nfl.com: rob gronkowski likes the idea of playing with Joe burrow

Tee higgins: I'd love to play with Joe burow

Germaine pratt: I didn’t want to go to a team that’s losing. We have a top 5 quarterback. I want to win. Why would I leave?

SI article; Pending free agents have their eyes on Cincinnati according to ESPN's Dan Graziano and Jeremy Fowler.

"Here's a thing that would have sounded silly two combines ago: Free agents really want to play for the Bengals," Graziano and Fowler wrote. "Burrow has changed everything about that franchise, and players want to go play with him

Podcast on subject: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KBgb1mg-Fx0

Ja'marr chase:“I need to be here too. Yeah, man. Keep this going. Try to get as many AFC championships as we can get. Make it to the Super Bowl as many times as possible. Me and him, we’re like bread and butter. As long as he’s got me and I’ve got him I should be here for a good time

People want to play for Bengals because they are a good team that will awaya challenge and much of that is due to burrow. Money is obviously a huge factor but if a player has 2 identical offers . one from Bengals and one from !most other teams then they will pick the Bengals which on the past would never have happemed. So he definitely has had an impact
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 06:28 AM)gman657 Wrote: Riley reiff before signing: I had dinner with Joe last might and I walked away thinking I want to play and protect this guy

Germaine pratt: I didn’t want to go to a team that’s losing. We have a top 5 quarterback. I want to win. Why would I leave?

SI article; Pending free agents have their eyes on Cincinnati according to ESPN's Dan Graziano and Jeremy Fowler.

"Here's a thing that would have sounded silly two combines ago: Free agents really want to play for the Bengals," Graziano and Fowler wrote. "Burrow has changed everything about that franchise, and players want to go play with him

Ja'marr chase:“I need to be here too. Yeah, man. Keep this going. Try to get as many AFC championships as we can get. Make it to the Super Bowl as many times as possible. Me and him, we’re like bread and butter. As long as he’s got me and I’ve got him I should be here for a good time

People want to play for Bengals because they are a good team that will awaya challenge and much of that is due to burrow. Money is obviously a huge factor but if a player has 2 identical offers . one from Bengals and one from !most other teams then they will pick the Bengals which on the past would never have happemed. So he definitely has had an impact

Nice post Gman. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 06:28 AM)gman657 Wrote: Riley reiff before signing: I had dinner with Joe last might and I walked away thinking I want to play and protect this guy

On the converse, I think that free agents don't avoid the Bengals. I think that was the case at times in the past.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 02:03 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: On the converse, I think that free agents don't avoid the Bengals. I think that was the case at times in the past.

Agreed completely . don't get me wrong I know if an player is offered 2million more than Bengals he won't sign but players are coming for visits and Joe is part of the recruitment when he takes them for dinner. And we all know Joe is known to be engaging and very impressive in person so it becomes the player wanted to play for bengals. And you are right seeing and hearing less and less of the "bungles" nickname which I've always bought is weird grown men saying g things like that 
Reply/Quote