Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Playoffs?! Playoffs?!!!
(11-03-2020, 03:32 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: We had 2 wins and got Bell and Reader to come here.

And Waynes and Alexander....
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 03:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If we finish with just 4 wins or so then it is going to be hard to get any decent free agents to sign here and the good guys we have may not re-sign.

If we only win 4 games then some coaches will also have to be fired, and it would make it harder to get decent replacements.  Our current DC was like our sixth choice.  We had college DCs turning us down.

And, finally, I believ there is something to the argument of "learning how to win".  At some point players need to believe they can win to actually win.  It has been 4 years since we had a winning record.  A lot of players on our roster don't know what the mindset of a winning team is like.

I think Burrow's play has pushed this thought out the window.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2020, 07:55 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think Burrow's play has pushed this thought out the window.

For sure. Anyone with eyes watching this guy sees a QB that could win a Super Bowl in the future.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2020, 07:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: For sure. Anyone with eyes watching this guy sees a QB that could win a Super Bowl in the future.

If it is based on what he has actually done on the field that means about 95% of current NFL QBs could win a Super Bowl in the future.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2020, 07:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: For sure. Anyone with eyes watching this guy sees a QB that could win a Super Bowl in the future.

Even Ray Charles see's this. Wait.... I mean Stevie Wonder since Ray is now gone. Hell, they both see this.

Reply/Quote
(11-04-2020, 08:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If it is based on what he has actually done on the field that means about 95% of current NFL QBs could win a Super Bowl in the future.

Really? He sure is breaking a lot of records on the field that some of the best QB's of all time didn't sniff as rookies...

I haven't seen a Bengals QB being admired as a rookie like this in all my 32 years of being a Bengal fan.

(11-04-2020, 08:18 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Even Ray Charles see's this. Wait.... I mean Stevie Wonder since Ray is now gone. Hell, they both see this.

Yeah, they see it Harley, damn rights. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2020, 08:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If it is based on what he has actually done on the field that means about 95% of current NFL QBs could win a Super Bowl in the future.

Wrong.  95% of QBs couldn't make a playoff run and win the Super Bowl when they are facing the best defenses in the NFL.  
Reply/Quote

It's immovable object (Bengals) vs. the unstopable force (Joe Burrow).
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2020, 11:28 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: It's immovable object (Bengals) vs. the unstopable force (Joe Burrow).

Not really fair, Wes.  The immovable object spent more than any team on FA this year, and made some tough choices (extending Mixon, not Green).  They understand that while Burrow is on his rookie deal, they have a real shot.  As much as I hated the approach early with little to now alterations on the offensive line other than Jonah coming back and XSF being added, right now, you can see that they believe the offensive line doesn't have to be all-pros, but just solid and Burrow can make it work.  

The losses of Reader, Hubbard, Daniels, Wren, Tupou (opt out), Waynes, and WJIII for the Cleveland game, have been devastating, but not as impactful as the cliff that Dunlap and Geno have seemingly fallen off of.  Raise your hand if you thought those two would have zero impact thus far.  But, the Bengals made a decision and got what they could for Dunlap.  You can be sure there will likely be a very high draft pick used on a DE and they will probably spend again on FA, hopefully at DE as well.  You can't have enough pass rushers.  
Reply/Quote
Pretty sure they spent the 3rd most in FA, not the most.

Reply/Quote
(11-05-2020, 11:43 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Pretty sure they spent the 3rd most in FA, not the most.

Still, way more than I or pretty much everybody thought they would or they have in the past. They actually tried for once.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 02:39 PM)michaelsean Wrote: We are going 0-2 against Pittsburgh. Realism not pessimism.

I'm not so sure. Chances are you are correct but I think the offense will give us a chance to win. The main thing I wanted to see this season is whether Burrow was the "Real Deal" and he sure as heck is. He comes in a rookie with no preseason and puts up good numbers like a seasoned pro. Burrow has the "IT" factor and if he stays healthy and the front office adds the pieces to make us a complete team we could be back in a Super Bowl before too long. YES! I said Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 02:13 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Before anyone thinks I've got absolutely mad, please know that I'm not letting one game completely change my mind on this team. (It was a really nice win though)

There are reports out now that the NFL is strongly considering moving to a 16 team (8 in each conference) playoffs for this season.  What they're saying that would make this all but inevitable is if any team has to cancel a game without a remaining bye, or if he a game is played where a team is forced to play missing multiple players.  Apparently, adding a week 18 is off the table.  This is where the expanded playoffs come in.

So, that is really the point of this thread.  The potential of expanded playoffs.  And according to Adam Schefter it's very likely to happen.

That changes things quite a bit.  Now, do I think that, even with 8 AFC's teams potentially getting in, that we have a great chance?  No.  But....but, it's not completely out of the question.

We currently sit at 2-5-1.  Even if we lose to the Steelers (we could beat them), which would put us at 2-6-1, all is not lost.  Are next 4 game are as follows:  @Washington, Giants, @ Dolphins, Cowboys.

Could we run those stretch of games?  Could we win 3 of 4?  What do we look like at 2-2?

If this team is sitting at, say, 5-7-1, we would at least be in the hunt for a final spot.  I'm not saying we'll get one, but at least the last month of the season would be exciting with meaningful games.

Now here's what we're looking at with the final 3 games: Steelers, @Texans, Ravens.

The Texans game is definitely winnable, as they stink and are in the midst of a complete regime change.  The Ravens, while very good, is the last week of the season.  What happens if they rest their starters?  And the Steelers, if you just chalked up next week as a loss, and can you automatically penciled them in for 0-2?

I'm not sold on this team at all, but a lot of these scenarios intrigue me.  And in a year like this, if we get to 7-8-1, that will give us a chance at the 8th spot.  If we somehow got to 8-7-1 then I'd guess we'd be all but a lock.

Just food for thought.  Might want to watch for the playoff developments, and keep your fingers crossed that we can at least make this interesting.

The chances are that the Bengals are going to go winless in their own division this year, that's after going 1-5 last season. Not worthy of a playoff spot, COVID or no COVID.

Reply/Quote
(11-05-2020, 11:43 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Pretty sure they spent the 3rd most in FA, not the most.

Did you stop counting when the season started?  They have added Daniels, Hunt, Spain, and a couple others I believe....since the season started. 
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2020, 09:32 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Did you stop counting when the season started?  They have added Daniels, Hunt, Spain, and a couple others I believe....since the season started. 

Yes, I was going off just the offseason moves.

Reply/Quote
(11-05-2020, 10:59 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Wrong.  95% of QBs couldn't make a playoff run and win the Super Bowl when they are facing the best defenses in the NFL.  

And so far Burrow has not been able to win more than 2 games in 8 starts.

I think he has tons of potential, but he is not an elite QB yet.  He is putting up big yardage numbers just because he is throwing the ball more than any QB in the league.
Reply/Quote
Throwing a ton does not automatically equal big yards. If it did every team would do it. You also need to have a QB like Burrow, Brady, Ryan, etc that is not going to put up Winston type INT numbers.

Burrow’s completion % (67.0) is remarkable considering he’s a rookie being asked to throw it that much.

Reply/Quote
(11-06-2020, 11:10 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Burrow’s completion % (67.0) is remarkable  considering he’s a rookie being asked to throw it that much.

It is not "remarkable".  It is 16th in the league.  And one of the guys ahead of him is another rookie who is having to throw the ball almost 40 times a game (Hebert 67.4%).

Herbert is also throwing for more yards per game and has a much higher passer rating than Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2020, 11:40 AM)fredtoast Wrote: It is not "remarkable".  It is 16th in the league.  And one of the guys ahead of him is another rookie who is having to throw the ball almost 40 times a game (Hebert 67.4%).

Herbert is also throwing for more yards per game and has a much higher passer rating than Burrow.

Both Herbert and Burrow have been remarkable, but Burrow is the one hampered by a bad OL, a HC that’s won 4 games, and no speed at WR.

Burrow’s 67.0% is higher than Tom Brady, Patrick Mahomes, Kyler Murray, Matt Ryan, and Jared Goff...

You’ve sunk to new levels of ridiculousness with your not impressed face when it comes to this kid.

Reply/Quote
Playoffs are pretty much out unless they can get in at 8-7-1 or something. It would mean winning at least one of the division games.
Reply/Quote