Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please FIRE Duke Tobin
god i wish i could suck at my job this bad and have people blame my bosses.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2020, 02:11 PM)Okeana Wrote: god i wish i could suck at my job this bad and have people blame my bosses.

That’s a very black and white way to look at it. We make excuses for the players being held back by Mike Brown all the time. Does Tobin get enough leeway of his own? Do you honestly think he wouldn’t like to bring in better FA’s?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2020, 02:11 PM)Okeana Wrote: god i wish i could suck at my job this bad and have people blame my bosses.

If I'm a sucky boss, I'm ecstatic when people put 100% blame on my underlings that are hindered by my suckiness.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2020, 02:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If I'm a sucky boss, I'm ecstatic when people put 100% blame on my underlings that are hindered by my suckiness.

And it’s not a coincidence Mike had NO success until Tobin and Marvin arrived.

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2020, 02:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If I'm a sucky boss, I'm ecstatic when people put 100% blame on my underlings that are hindered by my suckiness.

Reminds me of that lazy guy we all know who is constantly getting and then getting rid of dogs because they're all "bad dogs" and crap all over the place though he does nothing to train them 

Someday that guy will get a good dog and someday Mike Brown will get a real team that wants to win.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2020, 02:49 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And it’s not a coincidence Mike had NO success until Tobin and Marvin arrived.

Tobin ain't great but he seems like the best option we are going to get as long as we have MB hogging the GM title, salary, and final say.

At any rate, taking Burrow will save their jobs for another decade or so.  Great pick. 
Reply/Quote
My issue goes beyond the bad drafts with Duke and company. It is paying guys like Hart 7 mill and Gio over 5 mill for 170 rushing and 234 rec yards. We can pay a vet minimum for that production. I know Gio is a great guy and I love him personally but paying that salary for a locker room presence doesn't win championships.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2020, 02:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That’s a very black and white way to look at it. We make excuses for the players being held back by Mike Brown all the time. Does Tobin get enough leeway of his own? Do you honestly think he wouldn’t like to bring in better FA’s?

you want to complain about free agency when it comes to ownership that's fine, but anyone who drafts consistently as bad as he does really has no excuses especially when you're essentially the guy that makes all the drafting decisions.  I literally could care less about any argument made otherwise after the Drew Sample pick last year.  Even if he didn't directly make that pick he should be fired for allowing it to happen and this is just one example of consistently bad drafts.  

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2020, 02:57 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: My issue goes beyond the bad drafts with Duke and company. It is paying guys like Hart 7 mill and Gio over 5 mill for 170 rushing and 234 rec yards. We can pay a vet minimum for that production.  I know Gio is a great guy and I love him personally but paying that salary for a locker room presence doesn't win championships.

Gio played less snaps and had a lower cap hit than Uzomah.  Despite this, they had basically the same receiving totals.  (Bernard 30 of 43 for 234; CJ 27 or 40 for 242).  If you only take the field to spell a primary back, you're not going to get but so many touches.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2020, 04:17 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Gio played less snaps and had a lower cap hit than Uzomah.  Despite this, they had basically the same receiving totals.  (Bernard 30 of 43 for 234; CJ 27 or 40 for 242).  If you only take the field to spell a primary back, you're not going to get but so many touches.

Many might be viewing Gio's salary as high, for a 3rd down/change of pace back.  He had 96 touches for 404 yds (combined rushing and rec.)  While his salary number might be high for a 3rd down back, he's also the best pass blocking back on the team, as well as the 1st backup to Mixon.

The team got essentially no production from the two backs added to the team last year.  I'm beginning to wonder if with Mixon entering a contract year, the team might be looking a RB in the 1st half of the draft.  As they seem to prefer drafting RBs, compared to spending free agency money on them?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2020, 05:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Many might be viewing Gio's salary as high, for a 3rd down/change of pace back.  He had 96 touches for 404 yds (combined rushing and rec.)  While his salary number might be high for a 3rd down back, he's also the best pass blocking back on the team, as well as the 1st backup to Mixon.

The team got essentially no production from the two backs added to the team last year.  I'm beginning to wonder if with Mixon entering a contract year, the team might be looking a RB in the 1st half of the draft.  As they seem to prefer drafting RBs, compared to spending free agency money on them?

I would expect to see a Friday pick on a RB if Mixon isn't extended by then, just to have some insurance...
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2020, 12:41 AM)Synric Wrote: Sure the scouting department has missed on picks but they have hit on them also like...WJ3 Bates Lawson Billings Boyd Hubbard etc...I can look at any team and pick a draft they failed.

2-14.  They’ve missed horribly.  How far can a head be stuck up ones own ass to be that blind?
Take a look at the pff on these none misses.  This team sucks because of their misses, not mediocre hits.
Reply/Quote
From my understanding only 6 teams in the NFL rely on their own in-house scouting service (Bears, Browns, Colts, Patriots, Ravens and Raiders).

The other teams use The National (That's the Bengals scouting service) or Blesto (The Steelers scouting service).

Both of these scouting services employee hundreds and thousands of different scouts. To my knowledge if a team requests a scouting report on a player, they'll get it.

Then they will review the scouting report and film in-house among the coaches and front office. So most teams get the same scouting report as the Bengals are getting.

It's the in-house scouting and decision making that seems to be lacking here lately.

Whether that's more on Duke Tobin, the coaches or the family (our FO) I'm not sure.

One thing is for sure that recent draft misses have caused us to be in our current situation to begin with.

Especially, the misses along the O-line.

We need a good draft, like the 2011 draft was for us, pretty badly.

We hit 3 of 7 draft picks with Green, Dalton and Boling.

We need 3 of 7 this year as well at QB (Burrow), OL and LB if we want a big turnaround next year.
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2020, 03:10 PM)Okeana Wrote: you want to complain about free agency when it comes to ownership that's fine, but anyone who drafts consistently as bad as he does really has no excuses especially when you're essentially the guy that makes all the drafting decisions.  I literally could care less about any argument made otherwise after the Drew Sample pick last year.  Even if he didn't directly make that pick he should be fired for allowing it to happen and this is just one example of consistently bad drafts.  
Yea...I'm not sure Tobin makes all the drafting decisions, when Lewis was here he stated the whole coaching staff and front office would have meetings and everyone's input was listened to and if a coach felt very strongly about a player in the draft that pick was given high consideration.  I believe Mike Brown has the final say, not to say he can't be reasoned with or persuaded to change his mind, but he makes the final call. Lewis said he and Brown were on the same page most of the time he was here, but they did butt heads a few times like when Marvin didn't want Chris Henry back and Mike did. Well Henry was brought back.
(02-09-2020, 05:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Many might be viewing Gio's salary as high, for a 3rd down/change of pace back.  He had 96 touches for 404 yds (combined rushing and rec.)  While his salary number might be high for a 3rd down back, he's also the best pass blocking back on the team, as well as the 1st backup to Mixon.

I think Mixon will be signed, I believe he has said he wants to be here so I'm sure Mike and Katie will pony up.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2020, 06:46 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I would expect to see a Friday pick on a RB if Mixon isn't extended by then, just to have some insurance...

(02-09-2020, 07:11 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: I think Mixon will be signed, I believe he has said he wants to be here so I'm sure Mike and Katie will pony up.

I agree, JFK.  I think that the Bengals add a RB, no matter what.  However, if the Bengals want him (Mixon) to stick around, they should likely be getting on with the business of offering that extension, before he feels slighted.  (not that asking him to perform behind our shit show of an OL isn't slighting enough..)

BAC, they ALL say that they want to stay..  Weather he's willing to back that up with signing a team friendly deal or not, remains to be seen.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2020, 07:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree, JFK.  I think that the Bengals add a RB, no matter what.  However, if the Bengals want him (Mixon) to stick around, they should likely be getting on with the business of offering that extension, before he feels slighted.  (not that asking him to perform behind our shit show of an OL isn't slighting enough..)

BAC, they ALL say that they want to stay..  Weather he's willing to back that up with signing a team friendly deal or not, remains to be seen.

And that's the thing with me. I mean I'm kinda on the fence with Mixon. I feel he's a very good back, but I'm not so sure he's in the great conversation ? What's Zeke getting like 15 million ? couple other guys like 13/14 million. I'm just not so sure I wanna put that kinda money into a RB ?
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2020, 08:12 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: And that's the thing with me. I mean I'm kinda on the fence with Mixon. I feel he's a very good back, but I'm not so sure he's in the great conversation ? What's Zeke getting like 15 million ? couple other guys like 13/14 million. I'm just not so sure I wanna put that kinda money into a RB ?

That's the rub.  IF we are going to pay that kind of money, NOW would be the time to do so.  BUT, we still have an AJ contract to get through at the same time.  Kind of a catch 22, eh?
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2020, 08:12 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: And that's the thing with me. I mean I'm kinda on the fence with Mixon. I feel he's a very good back, but I'm not so sure he's in the great conversation ? What's Zeke getting like 15 million ? couple other guys like 13/14 million. I'm just not so sure I wanna put that kinda money into a RB ?

(02-09-2020, 08:42 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: That's the rub.  IF we are going to pay that kind of money, NOW would be the time to do so.  BUT, we still have an AJ contract to get through at the same time.  Kind of a catch 22, eh?

That's why if they extend him this year, instead of waiting for him to become a free agent, they might have a better shot at getting him to sign a more reasonable sort of deal.

I mean, if they give Mixon a $75M deal for 5 yrs.  They had better just start gathering run blocking OL, in order to make that deal viable.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Fire him ASAP. Horrible at his job!!!!!
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2020, 08:59 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Fire him ASAP. Horrible at his job!!!!!

And replace him with who? One of Troy Blackburn’s cousins?

Reply/Quote