Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please make Doug Marrone our OC
(01-14-2016, 02:32 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Most of this is opinion, but I tend to agree with you.  I think House has brought out the best in Andy.  I know Fred will disagree with this, but I also look at what Palmer has done since leaving here.  I'm personally not a big Zampese fan and hope he does not get the job.  I also think it is sort of a "lazy" hire.

How is Zampeze a lazy hire ?   So are the other internal promotions we have done lazy hire ??  I like Zampeze because he has a lot of experience with OC and has been Daltons QB coach the whole time and I like to see a smooth transition.. most of the time,, teams that are stuggling in offense or defense will look more outside their organization.. teams doing well will look inside a bit more.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 02:42 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: How is Zampeze a lazy hire ?   So are the other internal promotions we have done lazy hire ??  I like Zampeze because he has a lot of experience with OC and has been Daltons QB coach the whole time and I like to see a smooth transition.. most of the time,, teams that are stuggling in offense or defense will look more outside their organization.. teams doing well will look inside a bit more.

We're not talking about a hot, young, up and coming coach (aka Vance Joseph).  We are talking about a guy who has been coaching since 1990 and has been in the NFL since 1998.  A guy who has been passed over multiple times by the Bengals and has not had much interest at all from other teams about Offensive Coordinator positions.  It would be a lazy hire because it would mean they either don't want to go through the process or are afraid to bring someone from the outside.  The only lazier hire would be Bratkowski...
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 02:56 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote:  It would be a lazy hire because it would mean they either don't want to go through the process or are afraid to bring someone from the outside.  The only lazier hire would be Bratkowski...

This is getting ridiculous.

How can people keep making these claims about the Bengals not bring in outside talent when we hired Gruden and Zimmer.  It seems like people intentionally ignore the facts in order to complaion about anything the Bengals do.

Paul guenthar was not some hot young up=and=coming coach when we promoted him to DC.  No ther team had shown any interest in him.  But that worked out well.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 03:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is getting ridiculous.

How can people keep making these claims about the Bengals not bring in outside talent when we hired Gruden and Zimmer.  It seems like people intentionally ignore the facts in order to complaion about anything the Bengals do.

Paul guenthar was not some hot young up=and=coming coach when we promoted him to DC.  No ther team had shown any interest in him.  But that worked out well.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying.  I am not claiming they never go outside the organization.  I am saying that if they do not go through the process in this instance, and simply promote Zampese, that I will consider that a lazy hire.

I also think Guenther is a poor example.  I see that people have considered Guenther to be the next Zimmer for quite some time, which in my mind does make him up and coming.  I don't view Zampese in that same light.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 03:13 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I think you misunderstood what I was saying.  I am not claiming they never go outside the organization.  I am saying that if they do not go through the process in this instance, and simply promote Zampese, that I will consider that a lazy hire.

Since you have no clue what process they go through you will automatically call them lazy if they promote from within.

How convenient.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 03:13 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote:   I see that people have considered Guenther to be the next Zimmer for quite some time, which in my mind does make him up and coming.  I don't view Zampese in that same light.

Zampese has at least had other teams interview him fort an OC position.  No one has done that with Guenther.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 03:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Zampese has at least had other teams interview him fort an OC position.  No one has done that with Guenther.

Guenther got interviews for Head Coach this year.  Zampese has been in the NFL for 18 years, college prior to that, and we're supposed to be impressed that a couple other teams have shown interest in him?  And again, the Bengals have passed over him twice during his tenure.

It would be lazy if they don't interview other candidates, do a thorough search, and announce later this afternoon that the job is his.  I know you love some Zampese, but this is not difficult to understand... I really don't see why you are getting upset.
Reply/Quote
We better change our offense a lot bc Hue Jackson will know what we're doing considering he made it and he plays us twice a year
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 03:46 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Guenther got interviews for Head Coach this year. 

That was just a rumor.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 03:46 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: It would be lazy if they don't interview other candidates, do a thorough search, and announce later this afternoon that the job is his.  I know you love some Zampese, but this is not difficult to understand... I really don't see why you are getting upset.

If they feel Zampese is the best candidate then there is no need to interview other candidates.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 03:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That was just a rumor.

I am seriously not trying to be a dick, or to argue.  Do you know Zampese or are you related to him?  Going all the way back to the old boards, you get extremely upset if anyone questions him in any way...
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 03:58 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I am seriously not trying to be a dick, or to argue.  Do you know Zampese or are you related to him?  Going all the way back to the old boards, you get extremely upset if anyone questions him in any way...

Relax Fred.  Guy is just trying to state a very non-inflamatory opinion.  
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 03:58 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I am seriously not trying to be a dick, or to argue.  Do you know Zampese or are you related to him?  Going all the way back to the old boards, you get extremely upset if anyone questions him in any way...

What kind of ego do you have to have to assume that it is impossible for anyone to disagree with your opinion without it being personal.

Other NFL teams have interviwed Zampese for OC positions.

Zampese has had a lot of success with his QBs.  .  .    

Kitna won comeback player of the year under his tutelage.  He played for 4 different NFL teams and had a higher interception % with every other team than the Bengals.  

Dalton was a second round pick and set records for success over the first few years of his career.  

Palmer finished 1st in tds, and second in passer rating under Zampese, but when he goes to Arizona and finishes ranked lower in both categories people claim he did better.  Palmer's career best completion percentage was under Zampese.

So where are the huge failures that make you think Zampese is a bad coach?  All I see is a lot of success.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 03:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If they feel Zampese is the best candidate then there is no need to interview other candidates.

Big, colassal 'if'.  I see no harm in entertaining outside options, even if its just us chatting on a message board.

Seriously Fred, OBF is not being inflammatory. Stop being a jerk.
Reply/Quote
Guenther is a different animal to me. When Zimmer and Gruden got their gigs, it was my understanding both went after Guenther. Zimmer absolutely did, which caused the Bengals to very quickly give him the DC job here in town. Zimmer being bummed about missing out told me Guenther was a good hire.

I haven't gotten any of that feel from Gruden or Hue about Zampese. They certainly haven't made a move for him yet... I don't think anyone has tried to interview Zampese since the mid 2000’s, but fred may be able to link to something more recent.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 02:32 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Most of this is opinion, but I tend to agree with you.  I think House has brought out the best in Andy.  I know Fred will disagree with this, but I also look at what Palmer has done since leaving here.  I'm personally not a big Zampese fan and hope he does not get the job.  I also think it is sort of a "lazy" hire.

My post was all opinion, no doubt. It just seemed like the poster I had quoted was stating opinion as fact...

More opinion from me is that Zampese feels like a really solid subcontractor. I think he's a good painter, but I don't that I want to hand over the interior design of my home to him.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 04:13 PM)TGISunday Wrote: Seriously Fred, OBF is not being inflammatory.   Stop being a jerk.

All I have done is disagree with the guy and point out the flaws in his logic.

You are the one hurling personal insults.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 03:46 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Guenther got interviews for Head Coach this year.  Zampese has been in the NFL for 18 years, college prior to that, and we're supposed to be impressed that a couple other teams have shown interest in him?  And again, the Bengals have passed over him twice during his tenure.

It would be lazy if they don't interview other candidates, do a thorough search, and announce later this afternoon that the job is his.  I know you love some Zampese, but this is not difficult to understand... I really don't see why you are getting upset.

I think he got upset since you used the word lazy.. that makes no sense.. they are a professional team trying to be successful.. a better word would be "comfortable" hire and fine you can be upset by that.

So if they interview others plus Zampeze and hire Zampeze that means they were lazy ?   

I think the difference now is he has worked with Dalton for 5 years now.. I could maybe see him wanting to take over OC because of Dalton or I could see Dalton wanting him and that might influence their decision.  

It is impossible to assume that a coach that has been at the same position for a while means they would make a bad OC or maybe personal circumstances prevented him from trying to be more active on being a OC before.. we really don;t know his reasons..
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 01:51 PM)gobobro Wrote: That seems like more of an opinion than a fact. I think he made a jump from year one to two. Then he plateaued for two and three. He started going to House before year four, and I thought he looked better early in the season. His decision making was suspect, and his mechanics deteriorated throughout the year...

This past off season, he went to house a lot, and it showed. He brought House to Cincinnati, and I think it showed. He kept seeing House during the season, and it showed... I give Tom House way more props than I give Zampese. It's an opinion, but it jives with me more than thinking Zampese molded Dalton's great year.

Count me in.....I saw a lot of similar tendencies between Palmer and Dalton until Palmer went to AZ and Dalton brought in House.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 04:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What kind of ego do you have to have to assume that it is impossible for anyone to disagree with your opinion without it being personal.

Other NFL teams have interviwed Zampese for OC positions.

Zampese has had a lot of success with his QBs.  .  .    

Kitna won comeback player of the year under his tutelage.  He played for 4 different NFL teams and had a higher interception % with every other team than the Bengals.  

Dalton was a second round pick and set records for success over the first few years of his career.  

Palmer finished 1st in tds, and second in passer rating under Zampese, but when he goes to Arizona and finishes ranked lower in both categories people claim he did better.  Palmer's career best completion percentage was under Zampese.

So where are the huge failures that make you think Zampese is a bad coach?  All I see is a lot of success.

It's not ego, it is just rare that someone gets so defensive over an internet chat room discussion.  You like to throw out Palmer's 2005 season to show what a great QB coach Zampese is.  Below are his numbers for 2005 versus 2015.  It is also worth noting that he is now 36 years old, has had two major knee injuries,  an elbow, and nerve damage in this throwing shoulder since 2005.

2005: 3836 yards, 32 touchdowns, 12 interceptions, and a rating of 101.1
2015: 4671 yards, 35 touchdowns, 11 interceptions, and a rating of 104.6

He was literally better in every singe category, even after all of the circumstances I quoted before.

I am not saying that Zampese is trash.  I am saying that I personally would prefer they look elsewhere, or at least conduct a thorough search before hiring him.  So unless you have some personal connection, or are getting a recruiting fee for placing him, I don't see why you would get so defensive about it.
Reply/Quote