Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please make Doug Marrone our OC
(01-14-2016, 05:36 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: It's not ego, it is just rare that someone gets so defensive over an internet chat room discussion.  You like to throw out Palmer's 2005 season to show what a great QB coach Zampese is.  Below are his numbers for 2005 versus 2015.  It is also worth noting that he is now 36 years old, has had two major knee injuries,  an elbow, and nerve damage in this throwing shoulder since 2005.

2005: 3836 yards, 32 touchdowns, 12 interceptions, and a rating of 101.1
2015: 4671 yards, 35 touchdowns, 11 interceptions, and a rating of 104.6

He was literally better in every singe category, even after all of the circumstances I quoted before.

I am not saying that Zampese is trash.  I am saying that I personally would prefer they look elsewhere, or at least conduct a thorough search before hiring him.  So unless you have some personal connection, or are getting a recruiting fee for placing him, I don't see why you would get so defensive about it.

Agreed. I wouldn't say Zampese is trash, but I'm not going to anoint him because he got 2 good years out of a "can't miss" prospect in Palmer that we could have traded to the Bears on draft day for a slew of picks (er, probably).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 01:17 PM)JSR18 Wrote: Bengals next HC is rumored to be Guenthner (Cincy Jungle).

I don't want Zampese as OC, in fact, I think its time for a fresh QB coach.

If they want to be successful, I believe they need an outside guy to come in as OC. Dalton's OC at TCU maybe or some other hot up and coming NCAA OC??

I don't think they can be successful against Cleveland calling Hue Jackson's plays...

Andy's OC was just hired as Virginia Tech's head coach, so...
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 04:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What kind of ego do you have to have to assume that it is impossible for anyone to disagree with your opinion without it being personal.

Other NFL teams have interviwed Zampese for OC positions.

Zampese has had a lot of success with his QBs.  .  .    

Kitna won comeback player of the year under his tutelage.  He played for 4 different NFL teams and had a higher interception % with every other team than the Bengals.  

Dalton was a second round pick and set records for success over the first few years of his career.  

Palmer finished 1st in tds, and second in passer rating under Zampese, but when he goes to Arizona and finishes ranked lower in both categories people claim he did better.  Palmer's career best completion percentage was under Zampese.

So where are the huge failures that make you think Zampese is a bad coach?  All I see is a lot of success.

Fred commenting on someone having an ego.........  CLASSIC!

I've seen it all!
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 05:36 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: 2005: 3836 yards, 32 touchdowns, 12 interceptions, and a rating of 101.1
2015: 4671 yards, 35 touchdowns, 11 interceptions, and a rating of 104.6

He was literally better in every singe category, even after all of the circumstances I quoted before.

Carson's passer rating went up 3.5 points in a decade while the rest of the league's passer rating improved over 10 points (from 78.2 in '05 to 88.4 in '15).  The rules have changed a lot since '05 and it is much easier to pass today.

Compared to the rest of the league Palmer has regressed since he left here.  In 2005 only 4 QBs compiled a 95 passer rating.  In 2015 six QBs had a passer rating over 100.

When you look at the big picture Palmer was better under Zampese than he was this year.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 05:49 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Agreed.  I wouldn't say Zampese is trash, but I'm not going to anoint him because he got 2 good years out of a "can't miss" prospect in Palmer that we could have traded to the Bears on draft day for a slew of picks (er, probably).

And that is why I did not just mention Palmer.....

(01-14-2016, 04:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Zampese has had a lot of success with his QBs.  .  .    

Kitna won comeback player of the year under his tutelage.  He played for 4 different NFL teams and had a higher interception % with every other team than the Bengals.  

Dalton was a second round pick and set records for success and production over the first few years of his career.  

And, of course this year he got a 97.1 passer rating out of a fifth round draft pick that had never taken a snap before this year.  That would have placed Mccarron in the top 10 if he had enough attempts to qualify.

Zampese has had a long list of success and pretty much no flops.  So i just can't see why so many people think he is not a good QB coach.
Reply/Quote
Not sure why some hate Marrone so much. He has a good track record as an OC with the Saints. He had some success in his brief stint as HC of the Bills. I like him as a candidate. 

Now Zampese? Honestly, none of us can say anything either way. He has no track record as an OC, other than 1 year as OC for Northern Arizona U way back in 1995. Imo, we need some changes and tweaks with Hue in the division, but Zampese's background is in the Air Coryell system, which wouldn't work here.

As for Zampese's track record as QB coach, I think Palmer's Bengal career was a bit of a disappointment and Dalton didn't have a major breakthrough until Hue came along and Dalton was having regular visits with Tom House. If Zampese can keep it rolling while making some good tweaks, I'm okay with him. Certainly not the most thrilling candidate though, based on his track record.

Btw, how good of a candidate can Zampese be when the Bengals have passed him up twice for the Coordinator gig?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 06:16 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not sure why some hate Marrone so much. He has a good track record as an OC with the Saints. He had some success in his brief stint as HC of the Bills. I like him as a candidate. 

Now Zampese? Honestly, none of us can say anything either way. He has no track record as an OC, other than 1 year as OC for Northern Arizona U way back in 1995. Imo, we need some changes and tweaks with Hue in the division, but Zampese's background is in the Air Coryell system, which wouldn't work here.

As for Zampese's track record as QB coach, I think Palmer's Bengal career was a bit of a disappointment and Dalton didn't have a major breakthrough until Hue came along and Dalton was having regular visits with Tom House. If Zampese can keep it rolling while making some good tweaks, I'm okay with him. Certainly not the most thrilling candidate though, based on his track record and how many times he's been passed up for our Coordinator gig.

I keep coming back to that too.   It's either a pretty big coincidence or there is some significance to it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 06:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And that is why I did not just mention Palmer.....

And that is why I did not quote you......

At any rate, I'm looking forward to Zampese being the OC and this team having just enough talent to make it to the playoffs and then fall apart for an 8th time.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 06:19 PM)Nately120 Wrote: At any rate, I'm looking forward to Zampese being the OC and this team having just enough talent to make it to the playoffs and then fall apart for an 8th time.

Why would you look forward to hat?
Reply/Quote
simple question if we didn't want Zampese for the last however many times he's been passed over why all of a sudden do we now want him???

There is a reason he has been where he has for so long, heck if the Bengals were to fire he may be out of football.

Again think outside the box, we have a loaded offense and can hire anyone we want. We are the hot chick on prom night, not the 300lber from Pittsburgh looking for just anyone!!!
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 06:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Why would you look forward to hat?

I look forward to hat because my hair is going grey and it makes me look needlessly old.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 06:46 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I look forward to hat because my hair is going grey and it makes me look needlessly old.

If your hair is going gray, then, by all means, don't grow facial hair.  That shit is the  first to go.  The real shocker is the first gray pube.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 07:12 PM)McC Wrote: If your hair is going gray, then, by all means, don't grow facial hair.  That shit is the  first to go.  The real shocker is the first gray pube.

I have more white hairs in my beard than Marvin Lewis has playoff meltdowns.
Reply/Quote
Anyways, Pat Shurmer seems like a good fit to me.
Reply/Quote
So, there's really been no sort of official word, as of yet?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 12:32 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Our system and plays were good, and I think that starting all over and making the team learn a whole new offense would be stupid, but it's when Hue called those plays that as stupid and he was a horrible situational play-caller, just like people always criticize Marvin for being a horrible situational coach.

What are you talking about?  That 2 point conversion call with Green, M. Jones and Sanu on the sideline was fantastic!

I am also certain that Hue - or anyone else for that matter - never uttered a word instruction to Hill about the most important carries of his career before he went out on the field for "The Fumble".
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 08:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, there's really been no sort of official word, as of yet?

Nope, which either means all sort of awesome OC's want in OR no one wants in.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 07:27 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I have more white hairs in my beard than Marvin Lewis has playoff meltdowns.

Are you Santa?
Reply/Quote
Maybe Bill Callahan. He is Jay's OL coach ATM.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 08:47 PM)tlotharw Wrote: Are you Santa?

No, but I did have sex with an elf last night.
Reply/Quote