Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Please tell me Nick Vigil won't be starting in 2018.
(02-25-2018, 09:53 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Certainly fits the Bengals mold. Haven’t watched him much recently to know what he still has, but then again with the suspension I guess no one has really watched him much recently lol

Old, injury prone and suspended for steroids multiple times. Personally I want nothing to do with him. Who knows maybe the Bengals will kick tires and sign him, he definitely fits the reclamation project type they go for.
Reply/Quote
Wasn't Vigil playing with injury last season?
Reply/Quote
Vigil played like trash last year. he showed me nothing to make me feel comfortable as a starter moving forward. yes he was that bad...
Reply/Quote
BengalsRocker Wrote:I do too.

Vigil reminds me of Caleb Miller.  Marginal talent at best.

They need talent.  Real natural talent at LB.  Marvin has been striking out with picking them for quite some time.

I was waiting to see how long into this thread it would take to get to this name.  It's so weird that he basically became this guy (tackles too far down field, versatility overshadowed by not having a niche).  As others have eluded to, they can get another cut FA as a little used SLB, but you need more than that.  Jordan Evans looks like a nice coverage LB today, but that's all I'm penciling him in for until he earns more than that.  They'll need a LB with a pick in the top 3 rounds as I expect any FA money should go toward OL stability.  It shouldn't be an either/or but it likely will.  
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 09:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Bingo. Rey's former teammate at USC, former first rounder, reclamation project. past his prime. 

So, he could be this years A.J. Hawk? Just replace"USC" with "Ohio State".
Reply/Quote
Wasn't it the case that people were unhappy that we passed on Billings in the 3rd round (eventually we got him in the 4th and he hasn't been spectacular either) but then there was a backlash against that to try to sell how great he was. We've come full circle and then some.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2018, 05:23 PM)Synric Wrote: Vigil struggled on the strong side which was his first time playing that position but was good on the weakside which he played a little in college.

Same with Evans they played him at all 3 spots and he struggled as a SAM was ok in the middle but looked really good on the weakside. 

Yes young players do develop...

Spot on, Vigil should only be playing WILL where he looked good in the Bills game. In that game our Linebackers all
looked good cause Burfict was playing at SAM and he can shed blocks and stop the run. If Vigil starts next year it better
be at WILL, thing is Evans is a WILL backer too and so is Burfict most the time.

What is nice is Burfict can play all 3 spots well. But we need to be adding some more SAM and MIKE Linebackers.

(02-24-2018, 06:04 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: What?! The Steelers drafted a player in the first round who was better than a 3rd rounder of the bengals?!?! Man the Bengals are pathetic smh

Yeah and we got a guy in the 4th round last year who is arguably better than their first round LB'er.

Definately a better pass rusher anyways.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 12:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Between Paul Dawson and now Nick Vigil, the 3rd round hasn't been the place to find good LBs.

Interesting to compare these two guys.

Dawson was a fan favorite in the draft forum before we took him.  Kind of like Billings.  Lots of hype.  "Steal of the draft" talk.

Vigil was kind of the opposite.  I clearly remember that almost everyone complained about the pick when we first took him, but he eventually got some love (partly because he was white).  The Chuck Norris thread was actually a joke.  I don't think many people took that seriously.

I can't be too hard on Vigil because I don't have Sunday ticket and watch every game anymore, but in the games I did watch it seemed that a lot of the rushing yards we gave up was on the LBs.  It seemed like RBs would cut back and there would just be huge open spaces to run.  Although run defense does start up front sometimes people are too quick to blame everything on the D-line when some of those rushing yards are on the LBs.

To me LB is a huge need and I would not mind using the #12 pick on a LB if the right type of guy was there.

Burfict is the best Bengal LB in 40 years, but he is one "questionable hit" delivered away from a half year suspension. and one good head shot received away from his own retirement.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2018, 06:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Interesting to compare these two guys.

Dawson was a fan favorite in the draft forum before we took him.  Kind of like Billings.  Lots of hype.  "Steal of the draft" talk.

Vigil was kind of the opposite.  I clearly remember that almost everyone complained about the pick when we first took him, but he eventually got some love (partly because he was white).  The Chuck Norris thread was actually a joke.  I don't think many people took that seriously.

Yeah, wanted Dawson before the draft and thought he could be a good one for us, too bad he just didn't take practice
seriously i guess. Major disappointment. With Vigil i hated the pick but when we got Billings i was definately fine with it.

The Vigil threads were jokes. Don't know many who REALLY believed any of the hype. He was fairly athletic but needed
to gain muscle and learn to shed blocks better, still does. To me the pick was always a meh one.

But Vigil is young and he can improve. Showed something at WILL against the Bills atleast as i keep saying.
Reply/Quote
Vigil makes Caleb Miller look like Jack Lambert
I hope new DC Austin turns the tape on and sees that VigI lacks most of the traits to be a force at either olb position
I'd take Jerrell Freeman over him now. And he just got cut
Vigil.made one play last year and basically he was unblocked on Kizer in the first meeting
Whoopie.
Reply/Quote
Vigil was bad last year. he had one decent game that I don't recall but some posters keep mentioning every minute. terrible reach and bad pick in round 3, but Bengals will keep playing him because he was a high pick. much like Ogbuehi, Fisher Kirkpatrick
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 04:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Last year in the "surprise cuts" thread my pick was Vigil. Perhaps I was just one year early.

BTW, guess who the Bengal's annual LB signing will be this year and I'll tell you when you're right.

I'd say Tahir Whitehead because of the Detroit connection, but he might not be close enough to the end of his career and therefore too expensive.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 04:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Spikes = Great player

Simmons =  Very good player

Rivers =  Unfortunate situation with broken jaw.

Pollack =  Very good, unfortunate broken neck.

Thurman =  Great player, train wreck of a human.

Maualuga =  Average to sometimes good player, many years of steady run stopping.

I would agree with the first two in terms of outright player evaluation, but Rivers was not an "impact player" even before being drilled by Hines Ward.  The last three did nothing aside from an amazing rookie season to wet our appetite by Thurman.

The point of the whole "LB in the first round" strategy that I was saying the Bengals had executed numerous times before was that the team wasn't winning or, at least, they weren't really making the playoffs with regularity.  
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 05:42 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Vigil was bad last year. he had one decent game that I don't recall but some posters keep mentioning every minute. terrible reach and bad pick in round 3, but Bengals will keep playing him because he was a high pick. much like Ogbuehi, Fisher Kirkpatrick

I'm no Vigil fan, but I try to be fair. Vigil lead the team I tackles and was playing with an ankle injury, then went on IR with back problems. So I have to wonder if he would have been that bad if he was healthy. This was another case of him having to play injured because of lack of depth at the position.
Reply/Quote
Nick Vigil is Keith Rivers 2.0.
Reply/Quote
Leighton Vander Esch looks like the player Vigil wishes he was. they guy can cover , rush the passer , stuff the run and has fire in him. the guy reminds me of Brian Urlacher type. very similar skills. and can tackle..which only Burfict seems able to so. Raquon Smith and Edmunds from Virgina tech have lots of skill as well.
Reply/Quote
Vigil is garbage and minter both need to gtfouta town. Minternis curb trash
Reply/Quote
Rashaan Evans. A step slower than shaZier but better instincts. We need a guy that can fly cover and tackle and at 6’e 238 Rashaan Evans can do it. Get him
Reply/Quote
Was not a fan of the Vigil pick but not ready to throw in the towel on him either.

Yet does not change the fact that we need to draft a LBer fairly early.

To me it is either OL or LB in 1st and 2nd round.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2018, 03:26 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Been a fan of this team for a long time. I've seen a lot of lbers come and go.
But Nick Vigil might be the one of the worst I've seen in quite a long time.
Someone explain to me how Vigil earned that starting job or better yet why wasn't he replaced mid season ?
Meanwhile Paul Guenther buries Marqius Flowers yet The Pats find a role for him .
How can the front office justify him even in the roster ?

Nick Vigil won't be starting in 2018.  

(You just asked to be told that. You never said it had to be truthful. Ninja )

(02-24-2018, 04:32 PM)Synric Wrote: So you cut him after one season and not give him a chance to develop?

Two seasons. He's heading into his 3rd season.

There's only so many Ogbuehi-Vigils that a team can keep giving "a chance to develop" at the cost of seasons of losing. Every year you give Vigil and Ogbuehi to keep proving that they are awful, is another season of Atkins/Dunlap/Green that you are wasting. At some point you just need to say "yup, these guys really suck" and cut bait. Hopefully you do it before you allow them to wreck a third straight season. (Really shouldn't be allowed to wreck any seasons, but hey, it's the Bengals.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote