Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Points!
OK. So the Bengals were a woeful 29th in points per game last year at 19.4.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/points-per-game

So, my question is, if Burrow and the WR and Mixon stays healthy all year, where would you expect the Bengals to land?

Make your predictions here!
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2021, 11:27 PM)EatonFan Wrote: OK.  So the Bengals were a woeful 29th in points per game last year at 19.4.

So, my question is, if Burrow and the WR and Mixon stays healthy all year, where would you expect the Bengals to land?

One more TD (6 points) would put us solidly in the middle of the league.  I would (at minimum) expect that.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
Talent wise, I would hope it greatly improves.  

Coaching wise, I think Zac Taylor is an absolutely absymal playcaller and even worse at developing a scheme and playbook. His offense has no rhythm, he relies on too many passes to the sideline and underneath (scared to use the middle of the field), he refuses to the establish the run (unless he has Finley at QB and has no other choice), he's one of the worst I've ever seen in the Red Zone, and his receivers are constanly blanketed, not just  because of lack of seperation but because the defense knows what he's doing and he can't even exploit a zone.

So honestly, I have no idea.  Maybe he actually figures out how to put his big boy pants on and be a legitimate OC in this league; maybe the talent level trumps the turd calling the plays, or maybe this loser is such a piss poor excuse of a coach the offense still suffers.

My best guess?  Average to slightly below.  Despite the obvious talent level at the skill positions, I wouldn't look for Boy Wonder to do a whole lot with it.  He's in over his head, and isn't qualifed to making the call or designing the playbook.  (Hope I'm wrong but the man has done just such a terrible job so far.)
Reply/Quote
This Offense has so much talent that even with ZT calling the plays,they’ll be in the top ten.Remember,you now have a Quarterback that’s very good at reading the defense and making good decisions.
Reply/Quote
Believe it hinges on 0-line and coaching the most.

Chase already having chemistry should help and will give optimistic prediction at somewhere

between 11-16 and will say "14th".

But as always hoping for better yet understand it could be worse if O-line doesn't improve vastly.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
If this coaching staff cracking the top 25 would be impressive.
Reply/Quote
I think they'll be between 15-20 in the league as well.

I agree that I think it'll all come down to coaching and offensive line.

if JB gets time to throw the ball, I believe he can pick defenses apart all day.

However, without seeing what our offensive line is going to do, because they could be better than I think or they could be riddled with injuries and JB is running for his life like he was last year.

We now have the talent on the outside with 3 WR. I'm not as big of fan of Tate as some of you. I think on any other team he's a #6 or practice squad receiver. He's just not consistent enough. Anyway if any of one of those 3 WR goes down we have no one behind him to take their place.

I think this year is all about how healthy this team stays. If they stay very healthy they could be ranked in the 10-15 range but I always expect injuries, cause Bengals....thats all I gotta say lol
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2021, 12:07 AM)EatonFan Wrote: One more TD (6 points) would put us solidly in the middle of the league.  I would (at minimum) expect that.

While I agree with what you are saying, we lost Burrow for 7.5 games and Mixon for 13, not the entire season, so I would bump that six points for a little more than half the season.  Which would put them around 23 points per game...good for roughly 22nd in the league.  

I will point out that if you look only at the games that Burrow started and finished, they had 22.67 points.  If you throw out the clunker against the Ravens, the average goes up to 25.13.  

That tells me several things:  

Burrow was right at the league average (16th) in games he started and finished (if you throw out the Ravens game. More on that in a second) despite facing solid defenses like LA (Woo Hoo, I didn't say San Diego!), Philly, Indy (who was ranked #1 at the time they played, iirc), and although I didn't count it in the stats because he didn't finish the game (and I know, they didn't score a lot) but he had 200 yards passing at halftime against the WFT. 

This also tells me that they really need to figure out how to attack the Ratbirds.  I know Joe didn't get a second chance, and his second time facing the Browns showed a strong step up.  That being said, right now that defense has totally dominated ZT's offense.  
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2021, 11:27 PM)EatonFan Wrote: OK.  So the Bengals were a woeful 29th in points per game last year at 19.4.

In the 6 games Burrow and Mixon played together, the Bengals averaged 21.5 points per game. I doubt Mixon stays healthy all year (he's missed multiple games in 3 of 4 seasons) but if they do, probably around 23 points per game.

Not confident in Zac Taylor's ability to call a successful offense, or the OL's ability or ability to stay healthy.

(07-09-2021, 12:07 AM)EatonFan Wrote: One more TD (6 points) would put us solidly in the middle of the league.  I would (at minimum) expect that.

So 17 more TDs. That's an awful large jump to be your minimum expectation. 6 points per game is basically the difference between the Browns at 14th and the Packers at 1st.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2021, 11:05 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: While I agree with what you are saying, we lost Burrow for 7.5 games and Mixon for 13, not the entire season, so I would bump that six points for a little more than half the season.  Which would put them around 23 points per game...good for roughly 22nd in the league.  

I will point out that if you look only at the games that Burrow started and finished, they had 22.67 points.  If you throw out the clunker against the Ravens, the average goes up to 25.13.  

Burrow was right at the league average (16th) in games he started and finished (if you throw out the Ravens game. More on that in a second) despite facing solid defenses like LA (Woo Hoo, I didn't say San Diego!), Philly, Indy (who was ranked #1 at the time they played, iirc), and although I didn't count it in the stats because he didn't finish the game (and I know, they didn't score a lot) but he had 200 yards passing at halftime against the WFT. 

This also tells me that they really need to figure out how to attack the Ratbirds.  I know Joe didn't get a second chance, and his second time facing the Browns showed a strong step up.  That being said, right now that defense has totally dominated ZT's offense.  

In order to compete with Baltimore, you have to make them respect the run.  If you can't hang with them on the LOS, you're just in for a long day.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2021, 11:05 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: While I agree with what you are saying, we lost Burrow for 7.5 games and Mixon for 13, not the entire season, so I would bump that six points for a little more than half the season.  Which would put them around 23 points per game...good for roughly 22nd in the league.  

Can't just throw out a clunker like that, SHR. Every team has them.

The Packers were the #1 scoring offense in the NFL and they had a game where they scored 10. 
Buccaneers won the SB with the 3rd scoring offense and they had a game where they scored 3.

You doubly can't just throw out a "clunker" when it came against the #2 scoring defense in the league (which has been a top-3 scoring defense the last 3 straight years).

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

That Raven's defense is a damn good defense with a lot of talent.  I'd say they have more talent on D than we've had on offense.  When you have a crappy OL I don't care who your QB is if he doesn't have time he isn't going to pick apart a defense.   The Ravens aren't going to give JB time in the pocket.  Their gonna flush him or sack him.  Zac needs to be creative and call a balanced attack with the pass and run.  Neither game last year 27-3 nor the last week of the season ass kicking 38-3 were competitive.  I mean we didn't even score a TD against the Raven's last year.  They were outclassed and humiliated.  I hope some of that carries over to this season.  

On another note, the Ravens DC I'd take him every day over our current DC.  He could game plan around Lou all day every day.  
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2021, 11:19 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Can't just throw out a clunker like that, SHR. Every team has them.

The Packers were the #1 scoring offense in the NFL and they had a game where they scored 10. 
Buccaneers won the SB with the 3rd scoring offense and they had a game where they scored 3.

You doubly can't just throw out a "clunker" when it came against the #2 scoring defense in the league (which has been a top-3 scoring defense the last 3 straight years).

^^^This.  You can't start removing games, or playing the what if game. 

This is exactly why I get so frustrated with the "one score losses" argument that gets voiced , or when people want to take out bad performances from players statlines, or highlight the good ones.  If you're going to do these things then you have to do them for everyone.  And what you'll often find is, that once you do that, you're right back to where you started.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2021, 11:21 AM)TJ528 Wrote: On another note, the Ravens DC I'd take him every day over our current DC.  He could game plan around Lou all day every day.  

Not even joking when I say that I think I would take any of their positon coaches over Lou too.  I don't even know that much about them, but I'm pretty sure I'd rather give their LB, or Secondary coach a chance to lead this defense over a proven loser in Lou.

I kinda look at it like Let's Make a Deal.  If you're sitting there with a piece of shit item you take what's in the box.  Who knows, you could get another shitty item, or zonked or whatever they call it.  But you could get a brand new car or at least a decent couch or something.   I'd rather roll the dice with any single coach on their defensive staff then hold on to the Lifetime Supply of Rice-A-Roni that is Lou Anarumo.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2021, 11:39 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Not even joking when I say that I think I would take any of their positon coaches over Lou too.  I don't even know that much about them, but I'm pretty sure I'd rather give their LB, or Secondary coach a chance to lead this defense over a proven loser in Lou.

I kinda look at it like Let's Make a Deal.  If you're sitting there with a piece of shit item you take what's in the box.  Who knows, you could get another shitty item, or zonked or whatever they call it.  But you could get a brand new car or at least a decent couch or something.   I'd rather roll the dice with any single coach on their defensive staff then hold on to the Lifetime Supply of Rice-A-Roni that is Lou Anarumo.

That's a great analogy, and I would agree with you on taking a secondary coach or LB coach over Lou.  

Who knows, maybe  hell freezes over this year and he shows he's a competent coach. 

However, I'm not going to bet on it nor hold my breath.  
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2021, 11:39 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Not even joking when I say that I think I would take any of their positon coaches over Lou too.  I don't even know that much about them, but I'm pretty sure I'd rather give their LB, or Secondary coach a chance to lead this defense over a proven loser in Lou.

Marvin was the bumper pool table we traded for the box Jay Stewart was holding that ened up containing nothing more than a few cans of the Hilton's oyster stew that is ZT. 
Reply/Quote
It's very rare to jump from 29th in the league to Top 10 just a year later, even if you have your QB coming back, 1-2 upgrades on the OL, and a new shiny WR.

I also think Taylor is in over his head.

Best we can probably expect is a middle-of-the-pack offense and defense.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Going into his year 2, if Burrow stays healthy, along with Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Uzo and Mixon there is no reason they shouldn't be putting up 27-30 per game. Now, will it happen? That remains to be seen.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2021, 02:03 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Going into his year 2, if Burrow stays healthy, along with Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Uzo and Mixon there is no reason they shouldn't be putting up 27-30 per game. Now, will it happen? That remains to be seen.

Don't you...forget about meeee.  (Don't, don't don't...)

[Image: ?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brig...avens2.JPG]
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2021, 02:03 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Going into his year 2, if Burrow stays healthy, along with Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Uzo and Mixon there is no reason they shouldn't be putting up 27-30 per game. Now, will it happen? That remains to be seen.

better is controlling the clock so the other team never has an oppertunity to put up that many points
Reply/Quote