Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Points on offense by qtr. thru 1st half of season
1st qtr. = 16 we have 1 first qtr. TD 49ers game. We've scored 3 points or less in 7 games, 3 goose eggs !

2nd qtr. = 40 24 of those points cam in two games, Seattle when it looked like we had an NFL team and Rams. The other 6 games we've scored 16.

We have 5 first half TD's halfway thru the season ! And again two of those came in the first game.

3rd qtr. = 13 one TD Bills and 2 FG's in 8 games ! We've been shutout in 5 games in the 3rd qtr.

4th qtr. = garbage points in games already decided.

In the last 7 games since we fell off the cliff after Seattle we've scored 52 points thru the first 3 qtrs. One more point than the 49ers scored yesterday against the Panthers. That's an average of 2.4 points for those 21 qtrs.

Yes the defense sucks but the offense sucks even more !
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
So if the offense sucks and the defense sucks is it safe to say this team as a whole is garbage?
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 04:46 AM)TSwigZ Wrote: So if the offense sucks and the defense sucks is it safe to say this team as a whole is garbage?

The defense has given up 17.25 points through the 1st 3 quarters on average.

Through 2 quarters, it looks even better for the defense. The D is keeping the games close. The Jags game is a perfect example where the defense gave the offense a short field multiple times in a row and they got nothing for it. The offense not being able to do anything at all is why the Bengals aren't 6-2. The defense has held up for quite a bit until getting overwhelmed. It's like in the movies when guys are holding the gates to a castle. They can't hold forever.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 10:16 AM)PDub80 Wrote: The defense has given up 17.25 points through the 1st 3 quarters on average.

Through 2 quarters, it looks even better for the defense. The D is keeping the games close. The Jags game is a perfect example where the defense gave the offense a short field multiple times in a row and they got nothing for it. The offense not being able to do anything at all is why the Bengals aren't 6-2. The defense has held up for quite a bit until getting overwhelmed. It's like in the movies when guys are holding the gates to a castle. They can't hold forever.

Finally someone that gets it.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 10:19 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Finally someone that gets it.

I was telling a buddy of mine this analogy: 

I grew up playing very high level soccer and even played semiprofessional until an injury at age 19. In soccer, there are half-field drills where the offense gets to just come down on 4 defenders and a goalie the entire time. All the defenders can do is clear it back to midfield to a neutral guy, who then becomes an attacker and begins the attack again... and again.... and again. Over time, the offense figures the defense out, wears them down, and continues a barrage of shots gifted by the short field and, of course, finds goals. To then look at statistics from that drill and count up time of possession and shots, crosses, goals, etc and then say the defense sucks is moronic. It's a drill designed to give the offense high odds to achieve those things.

That's what is happening to the Bengals defense. They are basically playing defense for the large majority of the first half and (usually) the 3rd quarter. Eventually, though, the other team starts finding more success due to figuring them out, exhaustion, etc. Are they perfect? Of course not. Are they getting even the slightest bit of help? Not hardly.

In fairness, the AZ game was there for the defense to win and they failed.

The amount of Bengals fans on here who don't watch the games and then want to sit back and boxscore scout the team are hilarious. Like the soccer drill referenced above, why is it a shocker the Bengals defense has awful stats at the end of games?
Reply/Quote
The league has altered the rules to benefit the offense.
Its a offensive driven league.
It's simple. If the offense can't average 24 points a game
You lose most of the time.
Anybody notice the trades of late ?
Defensive players. CBs and LBers. Is anybody trading their QB..WR..LT Or TE....why?
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 08:50 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: 4th qtr. = garbage points  in games already decided.

You guys crack me up.

V Seattle..... FG with 7 min left to make it a 1 point game

V Buff...…… 10 unanswered 4th quarter points to TAKE THE LEAD (given away be defense)

V Ariz...……  2 TDs to TAKE THE LEAD (given away by defense)
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 10:16 AM)PDub80 Wrote: The defense has given up 17.25 points through the 1st 3 quarters on average.

They couldn't even do it in Game of Thrones, with all the fiery arrows and liquid flame poured on everyone. 

I'll stop short of calling this defense a bright spot, because it's still lousy. But it is the tallest midget at this particular urinal. 
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
Think of it from this perspective: COUNTING PRESEASON, the Bengals have scored over 20 points 2 times all season and scored exactly 20 points 1 time.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 11:08 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: They couldn't even do it in Game of Thrones, with all the fiery arrows and liquid flame poured on everyone. 

I'll stop short of calling this defense a bright spot, because it's still lousy. But it is the tallest midget at this particular urinal. 

wait a minit.. is this a spoiler and no warning?!?!?!?!??! 

HOW DARE YOU!!!

[Image: GretaThunberg-750x500.jpg]

LOL
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 11:22 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: wait a minit.. is this a spoiler and no warning?!?!?!?!??! 

HOW DARE YOU!!!

[Image: GretaThunberg-750x500.jpg]

LOL

Oh, I didn't ruin anything. Once you see it, you'll understand.

And the mug on that kid...get it away..
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 10:16 AM)PDub80 Wrote:  The defense has held up for quite a bit until getting overwhelmed. It's like in the movies when guys are holding the gates to a castle. They can't hold forever.

Our first half scoring offense is ranked HIGHER (27th) than our scoring defense in the first half (29th).

BOTH the offense and defense suck from the opening whistle.  People who are trying to blame the offense for the failures of the defense are either blinded by hatred of Dalton or chose not to watch the games.

The first half against the Rams the Bengals offense controlled the ball 5 minutes longer than the Rams and ran 5 more plays than the Rams yet our defense allowed 308 yds.

You know what the Bengals defense did against he Ravens in the first quarter before they got "worn Down?  First drive 6 plays for 75 yards and a TD.  Second drive 10 plays 80 yards (overcoming 14 yards in penalties) for a td.

Against the Cardinals the offense held the ball for alomost 6 minutes on their first drive.  So how did the well rested defense perform when they took the field? Arizona 9 plays 68 yards (overcoming 5 yards of penalties) for a td.  The Cards next three drives in the first half were all for 10+ plays and over 60 yards.

Against the Steelers the Bengals ran 8 more plays than the Steelers and won the time of possession.

In the first quarter the Bills offense had 9 first downs and 118 yards of offense.  The only reason they did not score more than the one td was 27 yards of penalties.

Forty-niners first drive of the game went 51 yards for a td.  The Bengals offense responded with a 9 play 70 yards drive, so how did the well rested Bengal defense perform?  Niners went 84 yards for another td in 9 plays.  Thanks to an interception the Bengals defense was only on the field for 2 plays over the next 5 minutes of game time (11 plays).  So how do they do when the come back on the field well rested?  Niners go 58 yards in 6 plays for another td.

Against the Seahawks the Bengals offense ran 21 more plays and controlled the ball for 11 minutes more than the Seahawks. 

Reply/Quote
Agreed. I don't know where the narrative is coming from that the defense is better than the offense. The defense is flat out terrible.

Maybe historically bad. It's arguably worse than last year.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 11:53 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Agreed. I don't know where the narrative is coming from that the defense is better than the offense. The defense is flat out terrible.

Maybe historically bad. It's arguably worse than last year.

The narrative is coming from Dalton haters.

Our offense is ranked 25th.  It is very bad.  

Our defense is ranked 32nd.  It is very, very bad.

Anyone who thinks our defense looks good before it gets "worn down" simply has not watched any games.  They suck hard from the opening whistle.

I am not trying to defend our bad offense.  I just think it is comical to try and blame the suckage of the defense on the offense.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 11:51 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You know what the Bengals defense dud against he Ravens in the first quarter before they got "worn Down? 

That deserves a :giggle:
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 12:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The narrative is coming from Dalton haters.

Our offense is ranked 25th.  It is very bad.  

Our defense is ranked 32nd.  It is very, very bad.

Anyone who thinks our defense looks good before it gets "worn down" simply has not watched any games.  They suck hard from the opening whistle.

I am not trying to defend our bad offense.  I just think it is comical to try and blame the suckage of the defense on the offense.

The defense has been better than the offense. Teams are averaging like 15 plays and 7 minutes time of possession mote than the Bengals because the offense CANNOT SUSTAIN DRIVES. Of course the "yards" given up are high when they are always on the field.

This isnt to say the defense has been great it hasn't but the offense is putting alot of pressure on them.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Where do we rank in the league on 3 and outs?

Reply/Quote
Ken Whisenhunt just got fired. maybe we should bring an adult into the coaches room.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 12:19 PM)Synric Wrote: Teams are averaging like 15 plays and 7 minutes time of possession mote than the Bengals because the offense CANNOT SUSTAIN DRIVES. Of course the "yards" given up are high when they are always on the field.

This isnt to say the defense has been great it hasn't but the offense is putting alot of pressure on them.

None of this is true

Bengals offense has only ran 12 fewer plays than opponents TOTAL for the season (517 to 529).  The Bengals 517 offensive plays is SIXTH HIGHEST IN THE LEAGUE.

The reason other teams have 5 minutes more time of possession is because running plays keep the clock running.  Bengals defense has faced more running plays than any other team (279) while our offense is 29th in rush attempts (150).

Defenses actually get worn out more defending the pass than the run because there is so much more running involved, and our defense has faced the 6th fewest pass attempts in the league (241).
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 01:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: None of this is true

Bengals offense has only ran 12 fewer plays than opponents TOTAL for the season (517 to 529)

The reason other teams have 5 minutes more time of possession is because running plays keep the clock running.  Bengals defense has faced more running plays than any other team (279) while our offense is 29th in rush attempts (150).

Defenses actually get worn out more defending the pass than the run because there is so much more running involved, and our defense has faced the 6th fewest pass attempts in the league (241).

Total snap count for the Bengals offense on the season 550. So....you're off.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote