Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Poll shows free agents don’t want to come to Cincinnati
(03-15-2019, 05:00 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Having night clubs is the key to winning. Ha!

Well to be fair we had plenty of guys getting arrested at night clubs in Cincinnati..  I wouldn't know about the night club scene in Cincy at any point in my life. I spent the lions share of my youth enjoying the "vibrant night club scene" of Dayton along East 3rd street, E 5th and other internationally famous clubs like Jacks bar where only the finest clientele were patrons.. , etc..  What? You never been? You missed out on old one legged guys who pissed their pants every night at Jacks.. Fun times!  Sick
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 05:24 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: Perks of having an outspoken franchise QB and a real GM

Personally I think Mayfield will prove to be a head case and overrated.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 03:35 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Players will take the most money is the bottom line.

Oakland and Cleveland shouldn't be on that bottom list. They both have a history of paying their players well.

Agents don't like Cincinnati because negotiations is a real job for them.

Also Cincinnati doesn't have a night life or a life style opportunity like many other teams. IE Miami with the Beaches etc.
Free agents have two things they want in free agency. One is the most money and the second is showcasing their talent while winning a Super Bowl. Coming to the Bengals pretty much cuts off one of those objectives. The only way to get them to accept a deal is to over pay. We have MB so there you go.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 07:28 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Personally I think Mayfield will prove to be a head case and overrated.

He's definately going to have a lot of pressure on him. We'll see how he handles it.

Landry and Beckham both want the ball too. A LOT. That's going to be tough.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 03:23 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: You don't buy it? Really?

C'mon, let's try to appear to be even the slightest bit objective here. 

This team has been attatched to the following stories...

-Sent a 300+ pound Tony Siragusa a coach plane ticket for his free agency visit. (He canceled by the way)
-Rents HDMI cables to it's players for training camp. This one is a little unfair. I'm sure the team really need that $237 dollars and put it to good use.
-Had their 1st round RB (Kijana Carter) buy new towels for the offensive lineman out of his own pocket, after repeated complaints about them being too small.
-Had a coin-operated pop machine in the clubhouse. (What did that bad boy generate a year? An extra $1,500?)
-Rationed Gatorade, and prevented players from grabbing one for the road. (Again, we're talking hundreds in savings.
-HAS THEIR TEAM PRACTICING OUTDOORS LIKE THIS IS MESA, AZ AND NOT CINCINNATI, AND LIKE THIS IS PEE-WEE AND NOT THE NFL!!!!

The list goes on and on. Yet you don't buy the idea that this team is viewed as cheap? 

You think agents are only concerned with "big paydays" and not players?  Um....what?

They also tried giving them used jock straps and socks.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 07:15 PM)Older Than You Too Wrote: They also tried giving them used jock straps and socks.

And they have those coin operated toilets in the bathroom. Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 07:20 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: And they have those coin operated toilets in the bathroom. Sarcasm

Except, sadly, my post wasn't sarcasm. They really did try giving players used socks and jock straps. TJ and Ashley Ambrose confirmed it.
Reply/Quote
For those of you that are saying that the Petty things that the Bengals do don’t add up and annoy any players, I think you’re wrong. It’s an earned reputation and I’m sure that as gossip spreads that some of the stories become embellished. They obviously have a reputation for being cheap, it’s silly to pretend that they don’t. For the most part, even the teams own fans know this. Remember not too long ago when there wasn’t a minimum amount that each team has to spend?
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 09:10 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: For those of you that are saying that the Petty things that the Bengals do don’t add up and annoy any players, I think you’re wrong. It’s an earned reputation and I’m sure that as gossip spreads that some of the stories become embellished. They obviously have a reputation for being cheap, it’s silly to pretend that they don’t. For the most part, even the teams own fans know this. Remember not too long ago when there wasn’t a minimum amount that each team has to spend?

What other incentive would we have to only have 9 player personnel employees when most teams have double to triple that?

Yeah...scouts cost money.
Reply/Quote
So, 18 of 32 teams in the league got negative "votes" from agents claiming that players they represent didn't want to play for those teams?

You realize that 18/32 is more than half the league, right? How about the simple fact that some players and agents aren't happy unless they're both being grossly overpaid by their respective teams?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 07:23 PM)Older Than You Too Wrote: Except, sadly, my post wasn't sarcasm. They really did try giving players used socks and jock straps. TJ and Ashley Ambrose confirmed it.

This is not true.

It was only an issue about how they washed the teams socks and jock straps.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 09:37 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, 18 of 32 teams in the league got negative "votes" from agents claiming that players they represent didn't want to play for those teams?

You realize that 18/32 is more than half the league, right?  How about the simple fact that some players and agents aren't happy unless they're both being grossly overpaid by their respective teams?

This.

The Patriots got as many votes as the team players hate to go to as they did the team players love to go to.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 12:21 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What other incentive would we have to only have 9 player personnel employees when most teams have double to triple that?

Free agents don't give a crap about how many scouts a team employs.  They care about winning, but the Bengals have won more than a lot of other teams with much bigger scouting departments.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 07:20 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: And they have those coin operated toilets in the bathroom. Sarcasm

[Image: coin-operated-flush-on-toilet.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 01:37 PM)GodFather Wrote: [Image: coin-operated-flush-on-toilet.jpg]
I hope that thing can flush some serious logs, on the first try.  Otherwise, could get really expensive. Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Money is the top priority. Florida has no state income tax.

Warm weather and domes are always preferred. If you play half of the games in them, that saves your body.

Playing time and position (T vs G, X vs Z, etc) obviously matters, but more for younger guys who are looking at the next contract.

MB has come a long way since the 90s. Things could have gone really bad and could have lost the Team.

But now that they own the Team outright, fan expectations should be higher.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 05:21 PM)Older Than You Too Wrote: 1. Yes, it is true.

2. Who cares what you say or think, you're the laughing stock of this forum.

TJ told Colin that Willie Anderson told him that from the previous year, when Housh wasn't on the team. 

The facts of the matter is, the Bengals would wash the jock straps and then just throw them all in a big white bin and the players would have to rummage through them to find one that fit them. It could have been one that was used by them previously or one that was used by someone else previously. The equipment manager (on word from management) would not allow the players to write their initials on the jock straps because the black ink could run and stain all the jocks. 

That is a fact and an eye witness account from me because i was at spinney field several times during practices to change locks on various occasions and i saw the bin and heard the players "joking" around about whose jock strap was whose. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 06:10 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: TJ told Colin that Willie Anderson told him that from the previous year, when Housh wasn't on the team. 

The facts of the matter is, the Bengals would wash the jock straps and then just throw them all in a big white bin and the players would have to rummage through them to find one that fit them. It could have been one that was used by them previously or one that was used by someone else previously. The equipment manager (on word from management) would not allow the players to write their initials on the jock straps because the black ink could run and stain all the jocks. 

That is a fact and an eye witness account from me because i was at spinney field several times during practices to change locks on various occasions and i saw the bin and heard the players "joking" around about whose jock strap was whose. 
I was referring to this as a first hand account of it. It's the first reply to the tweet.

"Housh is not lying at all. When I got there as a free agent in 1995 Tom the equipment guy at the time showed me a basket full of used jock straps and socks to choose from and I was like hell no. That’s facts!!"  -   Ashley Ambrose
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 08:17 PM)Older Than You Too Wrote: I was referring to this as a first hand account of it. It's the first reply to the tweet.

"Housh is not lying at all. When I got there as a free agent in 1995 Tom the equipment guy at the time showed me a basket full of used jock straps and socks to choose from and I was like hell no. That’s facts!!"  -   Ashley Ambrose

Right. That's the time i was around there. '92-'95. I think the issue is the word "used". They weren't used in the sense that they bought used jock straps. They were "used" by someone and after they were washed they were then used again....by anyone. Each player didn't have their own jock strap that they always used. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 12:21 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What other incentive would we have to only have 9 player personnel employees when most teams have double to triple that?

I just think it’s silly to be surprised that the Bengals made the top 5.
Reply/Quote