Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Poll shows free agents don’t want to come to Cincinnati
(03-17-2019, 11:54 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Free agents don't give a crap about how many scouts a team employs.  They care about winning, but the Bengals have won more than a lot of other teams with much bigger scouting departments.

But it blends in with other things that create the perception of cheapness. A player probably doesn’t look for the number of scouts but if agents are telling players that the team won’t put money into this and that, you don’t think that players listen? These things matter when a player has comparable offers to decide on. Paying for pop doesn’t matter but being that level of cheap, that kind of reputation sticks around. I can see players saying “No you can’t be serious.”
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 03:23 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: You don't buy it? Really?

C'mon, let's try to appear to be even the slightest bit objective here. 

This team has been attatched to the following stories...

-Sent a 300+ pound Tony Siragusa a coach plane ticket for his free agency visit. (He canceled by the way)
-Rents HDMI cables to it's players for training camp. This one is a little unfair. I'm sure the team really need that $237 dollars and put it to good use.
-Had their 1st round RB (Kijana Carter) buy new towels for the offensive lineman out of his own pocket, after repeated complaints about them being too small.
-Had a coin-operated pop machine in the clubhouse. (What did that bad boy generate a year? An extra $1,500?)
-Rationed Gatorade, and prevented players from grabbing one for the road. (Again, we're talking hundreds in savings.
-HAS THEIR TEAM PRACTICING OUTDOORS LIKE THIS IS MESA, AZ AND NOT CINCINNATI, AND LIKE THIS IS PEE-WEE AND NOT THE NFL!!!!

The list goes on and on. Yet you don't buy the idea that this team is viewed as cheap? 

You think agents are only concerned with "big paydays" and not players?  Um....what?

Got anything from after 1990?
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 05:31 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Let's be honest, wanting to go to a winning team plays a part as well. 

Then how do the browns manage to land FAs? Even the lions signed FAs the year after going 0-16. And so did the browns.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 03:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I hope that thing can flush some serious logs, on the first try.  Otherwise, could get really expensive. Ninja

Brown rigged it for "Pay by the log"

And in Mike Brown fashion, "Drop 3 logs and the 4th one is free!"
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 09:47 PM)Beaker Wrote: Got anything from after 1990?

Yeah, read the part in all caps in my post.  For those unaware, this technique is often used when one is trying to convey a greater importance to the text. It can also be used for yelling. 

I'm surprised a few of you are so easily reading past a point with such obvious emphasis. Not to mentioned it's last, and it's litterally and figuratively the biggest example I provided.

I guess I have to wonder, did you just not see it, or did you deliberately ignore it.

Got any more excuses?
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 08:55 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Right. That's the time i was around there. '92-'95. I think the issue is the word "used". They weren't used in the sense that they bought used jock straps. They were "used" by someone and after they were washed they were then used again....by anyone. Each player didn't have their own jock strap that they always used. 

I would call a "communal jock strap bin" used jock straps. 
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 03:55 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Yeah, read the part in all caps in my post.  For those unaware, this technique is often used when one is trying to convey a greater importance to the text. It can also be used for yelling. 

I'm surprised a few of you are so easily reading past a point with such obvious emphasis. Not to mentioned it's last, and it's litterally and figuratively the biggest example I provided.

I guess I have to wonder, did you just not see it, or did you deliberately ignore it.

Got any more excuses?

Every team in the league practices outdoors.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 03:56 AM)Older Than You Too Wrote: I would call a "communal jock strap bin" used jock straps. 

From Ebay's Item Condition Classification:

Quote:Baby & Sporting Goods
  • New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging (where packaging is applicable). Packaging should be the same as what is found in a retail store, unless the item is handmade or was packaged by the manufacturer in non-retail packaging, such as an unprinted box or plastic bag. See the seller's listing for full details.
  • New other (see details): A new, unused item with absolutely no signs of wear. The item may be missing the original packaging, or in the original packaging but not sealed. The item may be a factory second or a new, unused item with defects. See the seller's listing for full details and description of any imperfections.
  • Used: An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or store return that has been used. See the seller's listing for full details and description of any imperfections.
  • For parts or not working: An item that does not function as intended and is not fully operational. This includes items that are defective in ways that render them difficult to use, items that require service or repair, or items missing essential components. See the seller's listing for full details.

" See the seller's listing for full details and description of any imperfections. " ...  Was cradling some other dudes balls yesterday

you're spot on oldie.  That's ***** used bro
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 03:56 AM)Older Than You Too Wrote: I would call a "communal jock strap bin" used jock straps. 

Yep, but i think some people equate it to buying (or getting them from someone) used...then having the players re-use them.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 02:03 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yep, but i think some people equate it to buying (or getting them from someone) used...then having the players re-use them.

yes.  because some people think NFL athletes would fit in their jock straps.  these same people are delusional and their family members hate eating dinner with them.
Reply/Quote
It's always about the money. The problem is the Bengals don't offer guaranteed money up front like other clubs. Kwon Alexander, a middling linebacker known for missed tackles and injuries just got a contract similar to AJ Green's. They are similar in guaranteed money around $25 Million.

The Bengals try to sell to the player that their contract is realistic and they will finish it out, and in a lot of cases that is true. We keep horrible players around for that reason, but not always. We also cut those players every year, see Burfict. And with all the injuries, if you think a player is going to sign with us for 10 to 15 million less in guaranteed money you need to put down the crack pipe.

And to be clear, the guaranteed money is money the Brown family has to write a check for up front and put in the bank. It is cash out of pocket up front. The Browns are too tight to do that when they can fill out rosters with lesser players.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 02:50 PM)yang Wrote: It's always about the money.  The problem is the Bengals don't offer guaranteed money up front like other clubs.  Kwon Alexander, a middling linebacker known for missed tackles and injuries just got a contract similar to AJ Green's.  They are similar in guaranteed money around $25 Million.

The Bengals try to sell to the player that their contract is realistic and they will finish it out, and in a lot of cases that is true.  We keep horrible players around for that reason, but not always.  We also cut those players every year, see Burfict.   And with all the injuries, if you think a player is going to sign with us for 10 to 15 million less in guaranteed money you need to put down the crack pipe.

And to be clear, the guaranteed money is money the Brown family has to write a check for up front and put in the bank.  It is cash out of pocket up front.  The Browns are too tight to do that when they can fill out rosters with lesser players.

And cannot collect interest on.  
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 09:47 PM)Beaker Wrote: Got anything from after 1990?

I know, right? Old gossip and rumors.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 03:55 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Yeah, read the part in all caps in my post.  For those unaware, this technique is often used when one is trying to convey a greater importance to the text. It can also be used for yelling. 

Got any more excuses?

Excuses? How about dismissing posts that lack any current relevance?
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 02:50 PM)yang Wrote: It's always about the money.  The problem is the Bengals don't offer guaranteed money up front like other clubs. 

Yes they do.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 05:34 PM)Beaker Wrote: Excuses? How about dismissing posts that lack any current relevance?

Thank You. Why don’t we talk about garbage on Carson Palmer’s lawn next? This is ridiculous.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 05:34 PM)Beaker Wrote: Excuses? How about dismissing posts that lack any current relevance?

That’s right. Stop talking about old shit that doesn’t matter and talk about now. The Bengals are a different team. Every team has down periods. The Bengals rarely spend big in free agency, and when they have it has bit them in the ass.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 05:51 PM)Older Than You Too Wrote: He's a laughing stock.

I think you are out of order, not everyone agrees on everything on here but there is no need for this.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 07:54 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: I think you are out of order, not everyone agrees on everything on here but there is no need for this.

Don't worry about it.  He is just one of my old familiar stalkers.

[Image: Oscar_Wilde_There-is-only-one-thing-in-t...-about.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 09:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't worry about it.  He is just one of my old familiar stalkers.

[Image: Oscar_Wilde_There-is-only-one-thing-in-t...-about.jpg]

No worries Fred, there is just no need for what he said
Reply/Quote