Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Pollack "Comfortable with all those guys"
Regarding backups I’m comfortable with Adeniji in a specialty role and as of right now I’m comfortable with Carman. But his leash is SHORT

I think this is coach talk. No way they can like the lineman room as is .
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2023, 01:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We can't move Jonah because he's played his whole career at LT, but we can F up Jackson and move him all over.

If I could make one move for the Bengals it would be to fire Frank Pollack. Dude has never done anything positive in his tenure as Bengals Oline coach.

The best we can say is he molded a 4th RD lineman into one of the worse starting LGs in the NFL.

Fred Johnson was a serviable backup at OT; it appears Frank ruined his career by moving him inside.

Pollack is a joke.  Unpopular opinion, but Turner did more with less talent.  

Looking at Pollack's coach speak, I'm doubtful we see any significant moves on the OL.  The FO spent 4 draft picks on the OL the past two drafts, as well as signed 3 quality (at time of signing) FA starters.  If the OL sucks, it's because Pollack can't develop talent.  I mean, seriously, how can Pollack bang his fist on the table for a starting RT?  They drafted Carman as the RT of the future, then went out and signed Pollack's boy Collins.  If Pollack has to slam his fist on the table for a new RT this year, then he exposes himself as being totally incompetent.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2023, 12:24 AM)Whatever Wrote: Pollack is a joke.  Unpopular opinion, but Turner did more with less talent.  

Turner didn't do more with less talent. He didn't do worse with less talent either....
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I fully expect Jonah to stay at LT, but the team doesn't seem fully behind them like they used to be. Entering last season, the coaches said that Jonah is the LT and there was no question.

Now you get to the interviews with Duke, Zac, Callahan, and Pollak. A lot of the media members are mentioning that the coaches just aren't throwing their full support behind Jonah. They're willing to keep him at LT, but the feeling is they'll be looking to see if something better comes along.

The coaches and FO seem to be down on Jonah after this past season.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2023, 09:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Obviously you must not understand OL, he developed continually as the year went on.  One of his strongest attributes was his ability to pull and maintain body control.  He demonstrated several plays where he made second level blocks, and in pass pro he caught on to stunts.  For a guy that came from a small, run-first school, he is most definitely outkicking his coverage.  Volson will only continue to develop into a household name.  

NDSU is pretty much a football factory. Using the school he came from as a hurdle he had to overcome is reaching.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I believe this is just the good ole coach speak, mostly. They're not gonna throw their guys under the bus.

But I also believe they're smart enough to know the Oline has been our Achillies heel. I'll be mildly shocked if Collins is our starting RT next season. I'm not so sure Williams is our written in stone LT? I'm sure he'll get his shot but how long his leash is? Volson? I'm just not totally sure on either?

I'm hoping they go after a decent Olineman in free agency. And I hope they draft another at least on day two. And another one later on. Our depth behind Carman, who of course may be our starting RT, is just bad.

I'm not comfortable.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2023, 05:39 PM)Housh Wrote: I’d put money Volson doesn’t get that much better. Volson’s improvements will likely be in the IQ dept. he’ll probably be a bench, fringe starter his whole career. Which honestly getting that in round 4 would be solid

He was an old rookie

I'm sure you're an expert and all, but I think I will take Ted Karras and Alex Cappa's opinions that he will become a Top 5 Guard in the league over your bet that he will not get much better.......
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2023, 12:55 AM)bfine32 Wrote: NDSU is pretty much a football factory. Using the school he came from as a hurdle he had to overcome is reaching.

Can we please decide on whether or not Volson came from a small school and stick with it, because at the beginning of the season I said I thought he would do well and was blasted about being big on a small school guard who never played any real competition. Did he come from a small school, or did he come from a "football factory?" The Volson haters flip-flopping is making me sea sick. 
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2023, 11:32 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I will take Ted Karras and Alex Cappa's opinions that he will become a Top 5 Guard in the league

Lmfao you da man, Sled

You’re a salesperson’s dream
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2023, 11:43 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Lmfao you da man, Sled

You’re a salesperson’s dream

I guess we'll see. I believe you scoffed when I said Zac Taylor will become one of the greatest Bengals coaches of all time too....
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2023, 12:39 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I guess we'll see. I believe you scoffed when I said Zac Taylor will become one of the greatest Bengals coaches of all time too....

Normally I call BS when people roll with the forum trope "I told you all and posted... I was right" but in this case I'll tip my cap that you were an early and vocal Taylor supporter. You've been proven correct about his coaching success.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2023, 11:36 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Can we please decide on whether or not Volson came from a small school and stick with it, because at the beginning of the season I said I thought he would do well and was blasted about being big on a small school guard who never played any real competition. Did he come from a small school, or did he come from a "football factory?" The Volson haters flip-flopping is making me sea sick. 

NDSU plays in FCS.
NDSU may be the top of FCS, but the level of competition across FCS is lower than most FBS.
That's why some feel players coming from NDSU might have more of a growth curve.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2023, 12:39 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I guess we'll see. I believe you scoffed when I said Zac Taylor will become one of the greatest Bengals coaches of all time too....

I was never on the Zac Taylor hate train even after 19 and 20. I knew he was working with crap
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2023, 11:32 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm sure you're an expert and all, but I think I will take Ted Karras and Alex Cappa's opinions that he will become a Top 5 Guard in the league over your bet that he will not get much better.......

Cordell Volson will never be a top 5 guard in the NFL. He may end up being good and solid for a long time, but he's not going to be an elite guard. 

That doesn't 'just happen' out of the blue. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2023, 12:47 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I was never on the Zac Taylor hate train even after 19 and 20. I knew he was working with crap

Because Frank Booth knows stuff that we don't know..   Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
What's he supposed to say? "3 of those guys are garbage and we need to find a bunch of new guys?
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2023, 12:54 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Cordell Volson will never be a top 5 guard in the NFL. He may end up being good and solid for a long time, but he's not going to be an elite guard. 

That doesn't 'just happen' out of the blue. 

Maybe not, it's not my prediction, it is Ted Karras'.... I just bow to his knowledge and accept he knows way more about it than I do. 
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2023, 12:16 AM)Housh Wrote: Regarding backups I’m comfortable with Adeniji in a specialty role and as of right now I’m comfortable with Carman. But his leash is SHORT

I think this is coach talk. No way they can like the lineman room as is .

Agreed. The quote is refering to Capoa, Karras, Williams, and Volson. possibly Carman & Collins. 

Adeniji, Smith, and Hill are a different story. 

All he was saying is that he is comfortable starting the guys we had last year. Doesn't mean he wouldn't take an upgrade or better depth. 
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2023, 02:23 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Maybe not, it's not my prediction, it is Ted Karras'.... I just bow to his knowledge and accept he knows way more about it than I do. 

player speak. We went over this. He also praised Adeniji

I cant imagine the things you'd do if Ted Karras told you to do them... Like a good little pet
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2023, 11:36 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Can we please decide on whether or not Volson came from a small school and stick with it, because at the beginning of the season I said I thought he would do well and was blasted about being big on a small school guard who never played any real competition. Did he come from a small school, or did he come from a "football factory?" The Volson haters flip-flopping is making me sea sick. 

You obviously got me confused with someone else. I've never said Volson came from a small school and I too supported him against folks saying he can do nothing because of where/when drafted. It's just that now I've seen behind the curtain. Cordel Volson is easily upgradable and I hope we have interior oline toward the top of the draft board
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote