Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pollack: "you’ve still gotta kick the guy’s ass"
(05-23-2018, 12:52 PM)jj22 Wrote: I think we got Pollack too late as the new helmet rules won't allow for any of this aggression off the snap.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/22/say-farewell-to-the-three-point-stance/

Pretty sure they will still be hitting each other at the snap.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-23-2018, 07:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think Hopkins starts over Redmond

I think westerman starts over both.

Watched a replay a few weeks back of a Giants game and came away with a higher opinion of Hart than i had. When we got him i thought he was a quitter and worthless addition. After actually watching some NFL snaps and with his young age i think it was a worthwhile signing. I was ready to give Fisher the starting RT job but i think we have at least a little competition
Reply/Quote
Somebody paying more than just lip service to players' versatility? 'Bout dang time.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2018, 02:44 PM)Wyche Wrote: Well, this sure is a welcomed fresh approach.  As I've always said, even if you get beat, hit some-damn-body with the wrong colors on!  Instead of standing around watching your QB and RBs get murdered like our former handpicked LT is prone to do.

Don't forget Bovine did a lot of watching. Sometimes while lying on his backside. Cry
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2018, 04:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: ThumbsUp

Harley's tail is waggin'!

That's not his tail
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2018, 10:14 PM)Derrick Wrote: Don't forget Bovine did a lot of watching. Sometimes while lying on his backside. Cry
Cant forget this human turnstile,"watch out "blocking, backpedaling into the qb, and non existent running lanes for the running backs . Sad
Reply/Quote
In some strange way we're going to miss all those defensive line highlight reels we got used to watching..  Maybe that was PA's goal all along. Defensive line highlights.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2018, 02:07 AM)Sabretooth Wrote: Cant forget this human turnstile,"watch out "blocking, backpedaling into the qb, and non existent running lanes for the running backs . Sad

Classic

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2018, 12:29 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Cool read about Frank Pollack and the intensity / aggression he wants from his line:

“Last time I checked, in football you’ve still gotta kick the guy’s ass across from you. Nothin’s changed. You might be dissecting and looking at it as a chess match with the Xs and Os, but someone taught me a long time ago it’s the Johnnies and Joes, not the Xs and Os. You’ve got to be in position to play fast, be physical and dominate the opponent, the guy across from you.” 

“Broken down into those individual one on ones, football has not changed. I don’t care what we do to the rules, what we look to change, at the end of the day, it’s a physical, violent game,” Pollack said. "I’ve gotta defeat the guy across from me, so I take that approach. You’ve got to be mentally tough to do that. I could get a lot of drunk frat guys out here to just start fist fights, but that’s not football. That’s mentally weak, so I try everything I can to help develop that.” 

(05-23-2018, 02:38 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Another article on Pollack and the line from Paul Dehner.

“I think we all were a little curious how it was going to go,” offensive lineman Christian Westerman said. “We are moving guys and running. Aggressive, smashmouth football.”

“I told them Day 1 everyone here has a clean slate,” Pollack said. “What you have done in the past is really irrelevant to me … You can go from the penthouse to outhouse real quick. Hopefully, you go from the outhouse to penthouse just as fast, but it takes a lot of work.”

“The system is different and at the same time a lot of the drills and techniques and things we are learning are a lot different,” Boling said. “It doesn’t matter if you have been here and played before or are new guy, everybody is learning together.”

“Pollack made it very clear,” last year’s starting right guard Trey Hopkins said, “this is just where you are starting. This is just how we are lining up today. It does not matter. He’s been very explicit about that sort of thing. Don’t cut yourself and don’t also feel like you are the starter.”

Stoking my fire of hope having an OL coach talk like this. 

Love it !

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2018, 10:14 PM)Derrick Wrote: Don't forget Bovine did a lot of watching. Sometimes while lying on his backside. Cry

True 'dat.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2018, 02:07 AM)Sabretooth Wrote: Cant forget this human turnstile,"watch out "blocking, backpedaling into the qb, and non existent running lanes for the running backs . Sad

Forget him Sabretooth, we have Billy Price now and a coach that will get in his face if he does anything like this.

Not call it a witch hunt for calling him out.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2018, 04:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: ThumbsUp

Harley's tail is waggin'!

I think he's ready to hump someone's leg....
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2018, 10:32 AM)grampahol Wrote: In some strange way we're going to miss all those defensive line highlight reels we got used to watching..  Maybe that was PA's goal all along. Defensive line highlights.. 

I suspect other teams' D Line coaches revered PA because he did not threaten their job security. Smirk
Reply/Quote
This guy Pollack sure talks a good game. Hard not to eat up what he's saying. We'll see if his schemes have as much appeal.

Color me optimistic. ThumbsUp
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2018, 12:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Forget him Sabretooth, we have Billy Price now and a coach that will get in his face if he does anything like this.

Not call it a witch hunt for calling him out.

Good advice Nate, as soon as I see decent center play I will forget the former strong guy who pours ketchup properly. Wink
Reply/Quote

Bodine: The reverse pancake machine.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
The OLine should automatically be better than last year by personnel change alone. I’m curious as to how much improvement you expect to see to justify this god worshipping on here. It is exciting to me to see the change of this coaching position, obviously change was long overdue. I would think that most coaches would prefer a physically dominant guy when it comes to a shoving match, you’re ahead of the game before the X’s and O’s. Does anyone know if the Head Coach or the Offensive Coordinator will have any input on line philosophy? Who dictates who plays? I’m more of a show me things first kinda guy vs. a hype a messiah before any proven results are seen. I’m sure that someone will overreact and say that this makes me not a fan, that’s fine. I am curious about how each of you will judge how well this new coach does. Keep in mind that the OLine roster got a lot better from last year. Some players will also look a tad better just by having a stud playing next to him. I really believe that the line should collapse a lot less this year just by adding the 2 hosses that they did. With these seemingly automatic improvements, what results will you judge Pollack on? Outside of injuries, the line should automatically be a good bit better.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2018, 04:12 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: The OLine should automatically be better than last year by personnel change alone. I’m curious as to how much improvement you expect to see to justify this god worshipping on here. It is exciting to me to see the change of this coaching position, obviously change was long overdue. I would think that most coaches would prefer a physically dominant guy when it comes to a shoving match, you’re ahead of the game before the X’s and O’s. Does anyone know if the Head Coach or the Offensive Coordinator will have any input on line philosophy? Who dictates who plays? I’m more of a show me things first kinda guy vs. a hype a messiah before any proven results are seen. I’m sure that someone will overreact and say that this makes me not a fan, that’s fine. I am curious about how each of you will judge how well this new coach does. Keep in mind that the OLine roster got a lot better from last year. Some players will also look a tad better just by having a stud playing next to him. I really believe that the line should collapse a lot less this year just by adding the 2 hosses that they did. With these seemingly automatic improvements, what results will you judge Pollack on? Outside of injuries, the line should automatically be a good bit better.

I get where you're coming from, but this is our first new o-line coach since 1995. Some had been calling for change for almost a decade, and we landed the coach with the best resume available. So I also get the excitement. I won't crown the guy until I see results, but I don't blame people for being optimistic right now.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2018, 05:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I get where you're coming from, but this is our first new o-line coach since 1995. Some had been calling for change for almost a decade, and we landed the coach with the best resume available. So I also get the excitement. I won't crown the guy until I see results, but I don't blame people for being optimistic right now.

I totally agree that change was long overdue. I’m optimistic about having him as a coach and I hope that he won’t be handcuffed. I just kinda roll my eyes when people praise a guy saying that he’d rather have strong guys vs. weak guys, that should be a no brainer. I try to stay optimistic, that’s hard to do with the Bengals but they seem to be trying a little harder this offseason. The fans seem to have settled down regarding Marvin being back. He’s also overdue tobechanged out. He has way more impact on the team than any position coach has. I don’t see how he’s not gone if they don’t finish above .500, unless the Bengalswin their last game of course.
Reply/Quote
Another thing that puzzles me is the why Dallas chose not to ask him back. I’ve never heard the reason why. If he is that good, why did they tell him to hey weren’t interested in keeping him? I apologize if that has already been discussed.
Reply/Quote