Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poor offensive line play was why we were so bad in the 90s
We always seemed to have good WR's. Good RB's. Above average to good QB's.

Yet our offensive line was terrible...so none of that matter.

It wasn't until we started drafting lineman higher that we played better.
Reply/Quote
True, plus Klingler and Akili didn't help matters.

But I agree, you build consistently good teams from the inside out (both lines).
Reply/Quote
Give a QB like Dalton time to throw and he's good. With no time...he's not so good.

Who knows if Akili would have succeeded if he had talent around him.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals in the 1990s were hamstrung by perhaps the worst defenses in NFL history. I still can't un-see all the broken ankle tackles and missed interceptions and overpursuing the quarterback and missing sacks completely and linebackers getting pancaked by offensive lineman and Dermontti Dawson successfully blocking two Bengals at once and...and...

...and the offensive line was terrible too.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 11:59 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Bengals in the 1990s were hamstrung by perhaps the worst defenses in NFL history.  I still can't un-see all the broken ankle tackles and missed interceptions and overpursuing the quarterback and missing sacks completely and linebackers getting pancaked by offensive lineman and Dermontti Dawson successfully blocking two Bengals at once and...and...

...and the offensive line was terrible too.

The only bright spot I can remember defensively during those days was Ashley Ambrose.  
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 11:53 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Give a QB like Dalton time to throw and he's good. With no time...he's not so good.

Nah Akili was terrible....and from what I heard....wasn't much on studying.....but I couldn't agree more with the premise of this thread.  Klingler might have been good with a line.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 11:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We always seemed to have good WR's. Good RB's. Above average to good QB's.

Yet our offensive line was terrible...so none of that matter.

It wasn't until we started drafting lineman higher that we played better.

Yeah...Klingler and Akili were awesome. And Jeff Query as our #1 WR struck fear into the hearts of all the other teams.
Reply/Quote
Both lines were terrible in the 90s. Klingler with a better line may have developed better as he would not have been pummeled like he was. Interestingly, Jeff Blake did okay but to be fair he also had Carl Pickens and Darnay Scott and the line was a bit improved. Akili was a dunderhead and one of the worst draft picks in NFL history.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 11:51 PM)JumboTron Wrote: True, plus Klingler and Akili didn't help matters.

But I agree, you build consistently good teams from the inside out (both lines).

I'll agree with Akili, he was terrible but Klingler actually was a talented QB stuck on a team with no o-line and Dave Shula as head coach. He was tossed to the wolves and was shell shocked from the hits he was taking every game. Ended up needing shoulder surgery from all the hits and just ruined his career. Wasted talent sadly.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I couldn't tell you. I stopped watching from 93 to about 2003
Reply/Quote
The Cowboys were not good last year because of their QB and RB either.  They had 5 quality dudes on the line who got it done.  For all the talk of how well rounded and deep this roster is, they were absolutely man-handled last year because the Cowboys' line couldn't be neutralized.  Andy Reid's teams of old is another example of how line play can carry a roster.  Was Mcnabb ever really that good?  And don't get me started on Scarnecchia.  The trenches allow for everything else to happen.  Get beat in the trenches and everything else implodes.
Reply/Quote
And here I thought the 90s was because Paul Brown died and left his shitty son the keys to run the franchise.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 12:54 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: And here I thought the 90s was because Paul Brown died and left his shitty son the keys to run the franchise.

[Image: ZqSGbBu.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 11:53 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Give a QB like Dalton time to throw and he's good. With no time...he's not so good.

I remember a picture I saw of 2 Bengals Qb's studying the pics they send down from the booth on the sideline (Scott Mitchell and maybe Gus Frerotte ?)  and Akili was standing there by himself not studying or caring. Said it all about him. 

He also tried to make the team in Green Bay and couldn't do it so I think he was a turd.
David Klingler on the other hand got Bengalized immediately when Pittsburgh sacked him 10 times in his first start. I think it was actually more but they felt sorry for him and stopped at 10.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 01:00 AM)bengalhoel Wrote: I remember a picture I saw of 2 Bengals Qb's studying the pics they send down from the booth on the sideline (Scott Mitchell and maybe Gus Frerotte ?)  and Akili was standing there by himself not studying or caring. Said it all about him. 

He also tried to make the team in Green Bay and couldn't do it so I think he was a turd.
David Klingler on the other hand got Bengalized immediately when Pittsburgh sacked him 10 times in his first start. I think it was actually more but they felt sorry for him and stopped at 10.

Yup, I remember seeing Klingler playing with the flak jacket mid way through that first season. Then when he was in Oakland for the one season, he was still jumpy in the pocket. He'd get time and didn't know what to do, was always expecting to be hit.

Reply/Quote

That can be said about literally any QB ever. Couple years back the Bengals beat both Rogers and Brady in the same year because they were constantly getting pressure and hitting them, specifically pressure up the middle.

No quarterback is good with no time. That's why teams pay so much money for people who can rush the QB. 8 of the top 10 highest paid non-QBs are either DL or pass rushing OLB.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 01:00 AM)bengalhoel Wrote: I remember a picture I saw of 2 Bengals Qb's studying the pics they send down from the booth on the sideline (Scott Mitchell and maybe Gus Frerotte ?)  and Akili was standing there by himself not studying or caring. Said it all about him. 

It was Kitna and Frerrotte

Reply/Quote
[Image: akilibench_zoom.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 01:59 AM)Wyche Wrote: [Image: akilibench_zoom.jpg]

That picture makes me think of one thing...

[Image: 0516e09657c54d373197473653621803fff032-wm.jpg?v=3]
It's a perfect match on the expression.

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 02:23 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: That picture makes me think of one thing...

[Image: 0516e09657c54d373197473653621803fff032-wm.jpg?v=3]
It's a perfect match on the expression.

LOL.....damn sure is. That could explain a lot......

Reply/Quote