Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible 2021 Free agents
Having a decent salary cap going into 2021 what are some cap casualty FA's the Bengals should be after?
The Saints are way over the cap and may not be able to afford DE Trey Hendrickson, DT Sheldon Rankins, DB P.J. Williams and LB Alex Anzalone.
The Falcons will probably let C Alex Mack walk. He is 34 but has had a pretty good career. We could then move Hopkins to Guard.
Patriots tagged G Joe Thuney in 2020 at a cost of 14,781,000 they have the money to resign him but may not want to pay that much again.
He also may want a change of scenery as well.

Would love for Bengals to pick up Hendrickson and Thuney if possible.
Reply/Quote
1.) They have William Jackson and Carl Lawson both as free agents. It will be interesting to see who they keep between those two. I think it will be Lawson and would not be surprised if they trade him to a team for a day 2 pick.
2.) Kwon Alexander will be a Bengal replacing Bynes as the yearly Lb signing.
3.) I would like to see what the Bengals do at 3T next year. To me that's the biggest need on the team. Wouldn't mind trading for a Grady Jarrett like player!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I believe last I counted we had 21 or so free agents, the bigger names included are:

1. Fat Randy
2. Josh Bynes
3. Mike Daniels
4. AJ Green
5. Kevin Huber
6. Carl Lawson
7. WJIII
8. John Ross
9. Mike THomas
10. Brandon Wilson
11. Clark Harris
12. Alex Erickson
13. Jordan Evans
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 01:25 AM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: Having a decent salary cap going into 2021 what are some cap casualty FA's the Bengals should be after?
The Saints are way over the cap and may not be able to afford DE Trey Hendrickson, DT Sheldon Rankins, DB P.J. Williams and LB Alex Anzalone.
The Falcons will probably let C Alex Mack walk. He is 34 but has had a pretty good career. We could then move Hopkins to Guard.
Patriots tagged G  Joe Thuney in 2020 at a cost of 14,781,000 they have the money to resign him but may not want to pay that much again.
He also may want a change of scenery as well.

Would love for Bengals to pick up Hendrickson and Thuney if possible.

I know Joe's family pretty well. They would love for him to be back home and playing!
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 01:49 AM)J24 Wrote: 1.) They have William Jackson and Carl Lawson both as free agents. It will be interesting to see who they keep between those two. I think it will be Lawson and would not be surprised if they trade him to a team for a day 2 pick.
3.) I would like to see what the Bengals do at 3T next year. To me that's the biggest need on the team. Wouldn't mind trading for a Grady Jarrett like player!

I think they will try and sign both to team friendly contracts. They may let both of them walk. Carl has had his opportunity and has really not done much. We have cheaper options at Corner that get burned just a much as Jackson. Kwon is under contract for 2 more years. Grady Jarrett is only 6 ft I would like to have a taller presence on the line if possible.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 09:20 AM)PDub80 Wrote: I know Joe's family pretty well. They would love for him to be back home and playing!

He would be my top priority and worthy of an overpay if needed. Protecting Joe has to be our top priority. Having a veteran who has seen some things at that spot would be such a bonus. 

Second priority would be along the defensive line. You just don't win in this league when you lose the line of scrimmage. Having Reader back will help but we will probably lose Atkins and sign Daniels. We need a FA and a draft pick spent there.

I am holding out hope we finish on an upswing and are still able to get Micah Parsons which will complete our LB room.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 09:25 AM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: I think they will try and sign both to team friendly contracts. They may let both of them walk. Carl has had his opportunity and has really not done much. We have cheaper options at Corner that get burned just a much as Jackson. Kwon is under contract for 2 more years. Grady Jarrett is only 6 ft I would like to have a taller presence on the line if possible.

I wouldn't pay Carl what some other teams would, the guy is a physical beast but can't get to the QB enough to be considered a top flight DE.

I love William Jackson but not sure I would pay him either, he had a chance to step up Sunday in Pitt and got burnt when they went his way, a top flight corner can't let this happen 
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 09:25 AM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: I think they will try and sign both to team friendly contracts. They may let both of them walk. Carl has had his opportunity and has really not done much. We have cheaper options at Corner that get burned just a much as Jackson. Kwon is under contract for 2 more years. Grady Jarrett is only 6 ft I would like to have a taller presence on the line if possible.

1.) Carl is 2nd in QB hits this season and the only guy performing on the line.
2.) Kwon is going to be a salary cut
3.) If we could get Grady it would be awesome. Who cares about Height that guy is really good.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 09:16 AM)corpjet Wrote: I believe last I counted we had 21 or so free agents, the bigger names included are:

1.  Fat Randy
2.  Josh Bynes
3.  Mike Daniels
4.  AJ Green
5.  Kevin Huber
6.  Carl Lawson
7.  WJIII
8.  John Ross
9.  Mike THomas
10.  Brandon Wilson
11. Clark Harris
12.  Alex Erickson
13.  Jordan Evans

Fat Randy, Daniels, Huber, Lawson, and Harris are the must signs as I see it..... some may argue Daniels, but with the current state of our DT's, I think we need to resign him.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 10:43 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Fat Randy, Daniels, Huber, Lawson, and Harris are the must signs as I see it..... some may argue Daniels, but with the current state of our DT's, I think we need to resign him.

I agree with Fat Randy and Clark Harris for sure, I don't think I would pay Lawson double digits annually, he hasn't produced double digit sacks on a consistent basis which would be what Im looking for with a large financial deal.
Reply/Quote
Given that the defense is in worse shape than the offense (both from a personnel and scheme perspective), the defense needs to be addressed more than the offense.

It becomes even more critical if WJ3 and/or Lawson leaves in FA.

I think the team can get by on offense without adding any big FA, and they can address a couple offensive pieces in the draft (OL, WR).
DL needs 2-3 more decent-or-better players. CB needs added depth, possibly a new starter.
LB could use an upgrade too but they've already invested 4 draft picks into it from the past two years.
I would look for EDGE as my top priority for FA, followed by DB/OL.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If William Jackson is gonna take a large contract to keep then we should let him walk, Same with Lawson.

Both are pretty disappointing with the new coaching staff, if the coaches are staying then there's no point in wasting big money on 2 underperformers.

Maybe these guys are worth keeping with a new D Coordinator but we are probably stuck with Lou.
Reply/Quote
we're also looking for an extension for Jesse Bates and possibly Sam Hubbard next off season

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 01:25 AM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: Having a decent salary cap going into 2021

Do we? I've heard all sorts of things about the cap either going down or at least staying the same. Of course if we don't re-sign AJ, Ross, Shawn Williams, William Jackson, or C Lawson, that might impact things. Also there are some current team members we could cut if we don't mind dead cap (Geno Atkins, Trae Waynes, ...even cutting Joe Mixon could technically save you some money though they won't and they shouldn't).

If the cap really is lower, there could be some crazy good deals to be had in FA. Taking Juju from the Steelers would be sort of sweet. Of course we need help at Corner (especially if you don't re-sign William Jackson or cut Trae Waynes), and a star linebacker would be nice as well (defensive end should be addressed in the draft where there are plenty of good DEs coming out this year). 

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 01:49 AM)J24 Wrote: 1.) They have William Jackson and Carl Lawson both as free agents. It will be interesting to see who they keep between those two. I think it will be Lawson and would not be surprised if they trade him to a team for a day 2 pick.

I get the impression they plan to shift further and further to a 3-4, especially as we've seen Atkins primarily used at the NT position this season.
If they do actually make that shift to more of a 3-4, the Bengals will need actual 3-4 DEs with some length.

If they do that, I think Derek Wolfe is a great veteran option that should come cheap. Let him finish his career in his college town.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 02:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Given that the defense is in worse shape than the offense (both from a personnel and scheme perspective), the defense needs to be addressed more than the offense.

I think the team can get by on offense without adding any big FA, and they can address a couple offensive pieces in the draft (OL, WR).
DL needs 2-3 more decent-or-better players. CB needs added depth, possibly a new starter.
LB could use an upgrade too but they've already invested 4 draft picks into it from the past two years.
It's probably not a popular take, but I disagree.

The OL has to be addressed in FA.  If we're going off PFF ratings, the chances of drafting an OL that will be any kind of improvement over what we currently have as a rookie is very remote, even in the 1st.

Presuming Mixon returns to form behind an upgraded OL, we are really only a few pieces away from a truly scary offense.  You throw in a speed threat at WR and a receiving TE in with a couple of top tier OL upgrades, you've got something really tough to stop.  Plus, all your key pieces are under contract for at least the next three years.  That gives you two more years to fix the defense.

Defense wins championships, but a high powered offense is a proven formula towards winning a bunch of games in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 02:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Given that the defense is in worse shape than the offense (both from a personnel and scheme perspective), the defense needs to be addressed more than the offense.

Agreed.

Weve had luck with receivers outside the first, but to me we need to focus on DL in FA and with our first couple picks. 
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 03:43 PM)Whatever Wrote: It's probably not a popular take, but I disagree.

The OL has to be addressed in FA.  If we're going off PFF ratings, the chances of drafting an OL that will be any kind of improvement over what we currently have as a rookie is very remote, even in the 1st.

Presuming Mixon returns to form behind an upgraded OL, we are really only a few pieces away from a truly scary offense.  You throw in a speed threat at WR and a receiving TE in with a couple of top tier OL upgrades, you've got something really tough to stop.  Plus, all your key pieces are under contract for at least the next three years.  That gives you two more years to fix the defense.

Defense wins championships, but a high powered offense is a proven formula towards winning a bunch of games in the NFL.

What OL would you sign in FA who is a guaranteed upgrade, and what player(s) would you allow to walk in favor of signing said player?

And you say just a few pieces away from being a scary defense...who exactly is scary other than Bates, maybe Lawson on this staff? Lawson is a FA so he might leave.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 04:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What OL would you sign in FA who is a guaranteed upgrade, and what player(s) would you allow to walk in favor of signing said player?

And you say just a few pieces away from being a scary defense...who exactly is scary other than Bates, maybe Lawson on this staff? Lawson is a FA so he might leave.

Nothing is guaranteed.  However, Thuney, Brandon Scherff, Corey Linsley, Trent Williams, and Alejandro Villenueva are all huge upgrades on paper.

As far as who'd I'd lose, I'd let WJIII or Lawson walk for any of those guys in a heartbeat. I think we have to give seriously consideration to cutting Bell and Geno, too.

There is exactly one guy on this team that has the potential to take this team to a SB and that's Burrow.  To do that, he needs to be upright, healthy, and have weapons to throw to.  
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 04:40 PM)Whatever Wrote: Nothing is guaranteed.  However, Thuney, Brandon Scherff, Corey Linsley, Trent Williams, and Alejandro Villenueva are all huge upgrades on paper.

As far as who'd I'd lose, I'd let WJIII or Lawson walk for any of those guys in a heartbeat. I think we have to give seriously consideration to cutting Bell and Geno, too.

There is exactly one guy on this team that has the potential to take this team to a SB and that's Burrow.  To do that, he needs to be upright, healthy, and have weapons to throw to.  

Thuney - Definite upgrade, but will the Bengals fork over $14 mill per year to a guard?
Scherff - Same as Thuney
Linsley - While Linsley is a good C, I don't see the Bengals moving on from Hopkins.
Trent Williams - He's really good, but Jonah has been really good too. Do you want to bench/move the Bengals' best OL to bring in Trent? Or put Trent at RT?
Villanueva - Jonah has actually been slightly better than Villanueva. So do you put Villanueva at RT to replace Hart? Hart has been a better run blocker than Villanueva.
For Trent Williams and Villanueva, they are both 32 years old. I'm not sure the Bengals will invest big money into an OL who is beyond 30.

Let's instead be more realistic.
The two OT spots and the C spot are least likely to be replaced in the offseason because we've seen decent-or-better performance from those positions. The OG spots are the biggest weakness right now, but we've seen Spain come in and play adequately. Spain and/or XSF might be able to help solidify the OG spots by season's end.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote