Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible Dalton Trade Being Reported
(04-17-2020, 05:21 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Let's hope https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/17/cincinnati-bengals-andy-dalton-trade-jaguars-interested/ happens!  

I wonder how they could get to "the right price?"

Think that vid Dalton posted did him some good. Smirk 

Would be fine with just a mid round pick.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 05:27 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Not from what I hear. I guess he'd have to agree to a pay cut? Or maybe a player for player trade? 

Who they got who we would want again? Myles Jack? An O-lineman?
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 12:29 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: So the Bengals want to trade Dalton without letting any teams know they want to trade him?

But, if they do try to trade him they’ll want to negotiate Dalton’s new contract in order to keep it a secret even though it’s not a secret the Bengals are interested in trading Dalton?

Forget it, you're not even trying at this point. 

You make it sound like the only way to let other teams know a guy is available is to publish it in the local paper, or let his agent do whatever he wants with it, which is silly. They pick up the phone and call specific other teams. 

If you don't believe me, read the article below. There's precedent for everything I'm saying. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001067003/article/how-titans-traded-for-ryan-tannehill-and-what-it-means
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 05:21 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Let's hope https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/17/cincinnati-bengals-andy-dalton-trade-jaguars-interested/ happens!  

I wonder how they could get to "the right price?"

An extra 4th would be fine with me.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I don’t think Dalton has a chance to start anywhere unless Belichick wants him(which I doubt he would), so Dalton doesn’t really have a choice. His days as a starter are probably over barring an injury to a number one guy and he’ll spend the rest of his career in a Matt Schuab/Josh McCown role.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 07:19 PM)AlphaBengal Wrote: I don’t think Dalton has a chance to start anywhere unless Belichick wants him(which I doubt he would), so Dalton doesn’t really have a choice. His days as a starter are probably over barring an injury to a number one guy and he’ll spend the rest of his career in a Matt Schuab/Josh McCown role.

Dalton is better than Minshew. 
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Mixon saying he may hold out, the Jags are possibly interested in Dalton and now there is reports they are trading Fournette.....

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29058127/sources-jaguars-had-trade-talks-leonard-fournette

Does this turn into a Dalton for Fournette trade and we shop Mixon?

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 07:31 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Dalton is better than Minshew. 

Idk about that. In 14 games Minshew threw 21 TD to just 6 INT and had a 91.2 rating. Dalton hasn’t had a rating that high in 3 years. And Andy’s 16 TD to 14 INT in 13 games was just horrendous.

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 07:33 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Mixon saying he may hold out, the Jags are possibly interested in Dalton and now there is reports they are trading Fournette.....

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29058127/sources-jaguars-had-trade-talks-leonard-fournette

Or..  We could trade them both Andy and Joe for Fournette and the #73 pick.  :andy:

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 07:33 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Mixon saying he may hold out, the Jags are possibly interested in Dalton and now there is reports they are trading Fournette.....

Mixon holding out would be cutting his own throat.

But let's say he does.  Who trades for a guy in the midst of a holdout?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 08:27 PM)McC Wrote: Mixon holding out would be cutting his own throat.

But let's say he does.  Who trades for a guy in the midst of a holdout?

People made offers for Bell when he was a holdout, Carson Palmer was traded as essentially a holdout. If the team values the player and can work out a contract, anything is possible.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 06:38 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: Forget it, you're not even trying at this point. 

You make it sound like the only way to let other teams know a guy is available is to publish it in the local paper, or let his agent do whatever he wants with it, which is silly. They pick up the phone and call specific other teams. 

If you don't believe me, read the article below. There's precedent for everything I'm saying. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001067003/article/how-titans-traded-for-ryan-tannehill-and-what-it-means

Your entire premise relies on other teams believing the Bengals want to hold onto Dalton. No one believes that. Especially if they don’t have the cap space as you claim. And as soon as the Bengals call one team trying to trade Dalton then it is no longer a secret. Hell, it’s no longer a secret now. Teams already know the Bengals want to trade Dalton and they are willing to trade him to only teams he wants to go to because they have said as much in the media.

A trade of Dalton doesn’t rely on other teams believing the Bengals want to hold onto him. It relies upon another team wanting Dalton so much they are willing to part with a draft pick so they don’t have to compete for his services with other teams if he is released and becomes a free agent.
Reply/Quote
I hope Jacksonville takes em. He deserves to go somewhere else and start.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 05:42 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Dalton ($17,000) for Cam Robinson OT ($2,233,053) Tyler Shatley G ($1,512,500)  and Josh Allen DE ($5,168,781) 

Jags would break even in terms of cap space. Bengals don't need to worry about drafting OLinemen. 

If the Jags did that, you could go ahead and turn in next year's slip for Lawrence.
Reply/Quote

You surely wouldn't let Mixon go for anything but a really high draft pick.  He is still on a cheap rookie deal and is a very good, borderline elite, talent.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 07:31 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Dalton is better than Minshew. 

No he's not.

Plus Minshew has room to grow and is cheaper.

Dalton is what he is and isn't getting better.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 08:06 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Or..  We could trade them both Andy and Joe for Fournette and the #73 pick.  :andy:

This I would take, although I am really not a fan of Fournette.  Doesn't strike me as a team guy.  Although I did love when he "waved on" Mike Mitchell like "Come and get ya some" and smoked him.  Lucky for Mitchell he was really low or he could have been ended right there. 
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 06:45 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: See article below, on how the Dolphins ate $5m of Tannehill's salary in order to get draft pick compensation for him, and not even that much. Of course, they were awash in cap room at the time, but if we got good enough compensation for Dalton, we could do something similar (albeit maybe not $5m). Point being, how much we swallow and what we get for it in terms of draft capital is a balancing act. It all depends. The question basically boils down to this: minus Dalton's salary, would you rather acquire another lower-tier veteran, or spend that on draft capital? Not advocating either, just saying it's an open question. 

I think this makes a lot of sense for both teams.  If the Bengals ate $7 million of the salary for just one year, and got maybe a 4th round compensation out of it, the trade would seem to work for both parties financially.  Granted, the Jags might have to do something with Ngakue but Jax feels a lot like the Bengals of the 90s.  No one wants to play there and if the guy wants out of town, let him go and see what you can get for him.

Of course, I may be seeing this through Bengal glasses, but I really hope it works out.  Not just so we get another pick (would be VERY nice), but so Dalton could go play on a one-year prove it deal to give himself another shot at starting somewhere else.  I don't think Jax has much talent on their roster, but virtually every team in the NFL had a better line that what Dalton had been playing behind so who knows?
Reply/Quote
I think any trade for Dalton would be made shortly after the draft, but I think the Bengals will end up cutting him because they simply cannot afford to keep him and the other teams know this. We know were drafting Burrow, we will most likely try to extend Green and possibly Mixon, we spent a ton of money in free agency(somebody pinch me) and we need some cap money to sign our draft picks. Other teams will try and wait us out on Andy and it wouldn't surprise me that a team like the Patriots swoop in and snag Dalton, once we cut him, even though they are said to have "no interest" in him. I can see New England drafting a QB like Eason and bringing Andy in to mentor him for a year.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 12:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I mean, if a player is truly terrible (Billy Price for example) ok call them out, but Fournette? He’s a decent RB. He’s not as good as Mixon, but Mixon is one of the best.

Last year Fournette had 250 more yards from scrimmage than Mixon despite playing one fewer game.

Not saying Fournette is better, but he is far from "garbage".  In college he was one of the most impressive RBs I have seen in a long time.
Reply/Quote