Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible Spain return?
(08-15-2022, 01:51 PM)ochocincos Wrote: So then the Bengals should try to address their OL woes with veterans and use the draft on positions they are better at drafting/developing.
Add Spain to bump off Adeniji. Bengals still would probably have to go with 10-man OL on the roster though unless Prince, Smith, or Carman were to be cut.
Spain would be slotted in as the default starter at LG unless/until Carman or Volson could supplant him.

Yep.  This is what I would do given their track record.  I think this year is really going to be telling as far as this strategy goes.  I'm sure management is already aware of their shortcomings with this position group.  You may have to overpay slightly to protect Joe, but not exactly break the bank.  5 average starters getting average money.  

Most of the OL that they've drafted over the past 10 years are out of the league or on their way out, not counting the last 2 drafts because they haven't given up on these guys....yet.  

Ced, Price (FA) and MJ are still hanging around.  MJ actually did somewhat improve after he left here.  
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 04:11 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: MJ actually did somewhat improve after he left here.  

Not really. He graded out at 50.7 last season for Carolina, gave up 6 sacks, and had 5 penalties. And that was in only 10 starts (703 snaps).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 02:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Price had a PFF grade of 62.5 last year in 985 snaps played last year:
Billy Price | New York Giants C | NFL and PFF stats | PFF

With the Bengals, he graded under 60 in all 3 seasons.
Cincinnati Bengals trade former first-rounder Billy Price to New York Giants for B.J. Hill | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | PFF

That's improvement. Not saying he's great, but he improved.

Same with Ced.

Price ranked at the absolute bottom of the league.  He did not improve.

Same with Ced.
Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
Center Billy Price was second on the team with an elite 85.3 overall grade, the highest grade he's gotten in 55 career games. Price did not allow a single pressure on 43 pass blocking snaps and excelled in the run game, evidenced by his 87.4 run blocking grade. PFF named Price its Secret Superstar of the Week.

https://www.giants.com/news/pro-footballl-focus-giants-chargers-dexter-lawrence-billy-price-kyle-rudolph
Reply/Quote
That’s all fine and good, but the fact that NY didn’t bring him back after trading a good player for him speaks volumes.

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 10:53 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That’s all fine and good, but the fact that NY didn’t bring him back after trading a good player for him speaks volumes.

there's a bunch of o-linemen you could say that about
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 10:53 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That’s all fine and good, but the fact that NY didn’t bring him back after trading a good player for him speaks volumes.

True. But he did improve elsewhere.

Not saying he's great by any means, but if he put up a 65 PFF score and played like he did the 2nd half of the year in NY...he might still be here.

Whether it's coaching or scheme...he played better in NY than here.
Reply/Quote

I'm not sure BJ Hill was a good player in NY. I think he played better here than he did there.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 11:26 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'm not sure BJ Hill was a good player in NY. I think ge played better here than he did there.

In his rookie season with NY - BJ Hill had 5.5 sacks, 6 TFL, and 8 QB hits. That’s pretty comparable to his stats with us. Granted, he played 59% of the defensive snaps that season, compared to 47% last year, but still.

Reply/Quote