Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possibly the worst move in the history of the team
Was not re-signing this guy:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/rams-andrew-whitworth-donating-paycheck-thousand-oaks-shooting-victims-185725763.html

Quote:At the Rams’ facility, Whitworth quickly took the lead with teammates, looking to find a way to help the community.

Whitworth’s contribution is already more than words: via Jay Glazer of The Athletic, he’s donating this week’s paycheck, about $60,000, to help the families of those killed and other victims.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
X10

Reply/Quote
He was my favorite player when he was here. He is a great person and would go after anybody who messed with his QB., a natural team leader.
Reply/Quote
Agree, major mistake in more ways than one.
Reply/Quote
Bad move to not re-sign Whitworth? Absolutely. Worst move ever? Hardly. Far higher on the list of bad moves would be sending Bill Walsh down the road..

It might seem like Mike Brown gets it earnestly..

Don't agree? Fight me in the comments..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 11:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Bad move to not re-sign Whitworth?  Absolutely.  Worst move ever?  Hardly.  Far higher on the list of bad moves would be sending Bill Walsh down the road..

Don't agree?  Fight me in the comments..

It's up there among the top. AJ, Dalton, Geno are running out of chances ! It's doubtful MB will make the moves needed in time for it to matter for them......so another core group of really good players is wasted.

Now sure keeping Tiger and letting Bill go was epic, no doubt. As was the Akili Smith debacle. 

But just as those snafu's are looked at as huge wastes. This was a really big waste as well. As big ?
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2018, 12:18 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It's up there among the top. AJ, Dalton, Geno are running out of chances ! It's doubtful MB will make the moves needed in time for it to matter for them......so another core group of really good players is wasted.

Now sure keeping Tiger and letting Bill go was epic, no doubt. As was the Akili Smith debacle. 

But just as those snafu's are looked at as huge wastes. This was a really big waste as well. As big ?

Let's not forget David Klingler..

At least Kijana Carter gets an injury pass.

But, certainly the worst move has to be letting Bill Walsh go, and then losing to him in the only two Superbowl appearances in Bengal history.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2018, 12:26 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Let's not forget David Klingler..

At least Kijana Carter gets an injury pass.

But, certainly the worst move has to be letting Bill Walsh go, and then losing to him in the only two Superbowl appearances in Bengal history.

Ahhh Klingler, helped put the "lookout block" by Olinemen on the map. 

And yes I'd probably have to list Walsh as #1, but Big Whit will go down as one of the top fubar's when it's all said and done I'd say.

Where would this team be now if we still had him ?
Reply/Quote
Look on the bright side with the money we saved we were able to sign Dre Kirkpatrick to a huge contract. ?
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2018, 12:35 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Ahhh Klingler, helped put the "lookout block" by Olinemen on the map. 

And yes I'd probably have to list Walsh as #1, but Big Whit will go down as one of the top fubar's when it's all said and done I'd say.

Where would this team be now if we still had him ?

Mmm, hard to say, I'd guess maybe 6-2, possibly 7-1, but that might be a stretch.

It's hard to guess how things would have went, had he been retained.  Heck, they might have just held onto Bodine at Center, and we'd still have all of those same issues going on.  For that matter, they might have just held onto Paul Alexander, and we'd still have him to ***** about..

It's really tough to predict how things would be when we start playing "what if".

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Possibly? Try definitely. I certainly can't think of a worse move.

Thanks a lot, Mike. Whatever

Cheapass...
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 11:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Bad move to not re-sign Whitworth?  Absolutely.  Worst move ever?  Hardly.  Far higher on the list of bad moves would be sending Bill Walsh down the road..

Don't agree?  Fight me in the comments..

Agree totally. The second one was hiring the wrong offspring to succeed!
Reply/Quote
Classy move by a classy guy, but I don't fault the Bengals for not signing a 35 year old Tackle to a multi-year deal. The odds say a Tackle that age is likely in for a steep decline soon. We gambled he'd decline and lost. That said, our line was bad with Whit in 2016, so keeping him around was no guaranteed fix to all of our o-line woes, which mostly centered around Bodine/Ogbuehi/Fisher.

Also agree with Sunset on the "what if" game. What if keeping Whit would've kept our o-line just mediocre enough to convince Mikey to keep his pet around for 10 more years? Love Whit, glad he's having success, not mad we moved on. Heck, even if we'd kept him, we'd have a 37 year old Tackle that we'd have to consider replacing now.

...and tbh I don't think Glenn is as bad as some claim. Our problems lie elsewhere. Particularly at RG.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 11:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Was not re-signing this guy:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/rams-andrew-whitworth-donating-paycheck-thousand-oaks-shooting-victims-185725763.html

I'm compelled to give you a neg rep for bringing back sad memories of a great player and person that could have still be playing with us.   Cry
Reply/Quote
Horrible decision, Whitworth deserved more loyalty than he was given for sure. He earned it in my book.

In reality we did him a huge favor though. How much fun he must be having now, while living in a nicer climate with legitimate shot at SB even.

Worst move ever for Bengals yet the best move ever for Whit. Although he is too classy to ever say it.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Whitworth left because he wanted to not because the Bengals let him go...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 11:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Was not re-signing this guy:

Yep, and thank Mikey Brown.

Reply/Quote
no, the worst for the bengals was choosing Facebook and other social media outlets and shutting down the original boards. Their traffic had to take a huge hit.

But it’s worked out well for us!!
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2018, 12:00 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: no,  the worst for the bengals was choosing Facebook and other social media outlets and shutting down the original boards.  Their traffic had to take a huge hit.

But it’s worked out well for us!!

That probably wouldn't even break the top 100.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I would say drafting Akili Smith instead of taking the Saints trade for a million of their picks was the worst move. However I have to equally say that there was probably a good chance the Bengals back then would have screwed up all those extra picks somehow as well.

Worst move though is Paul leaving to the team to Mike instead of his MBs brother. Because it's not like his brother could have done worse, so at the least he would have done better.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote