Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possibly the worst move in the history of the team
Not re-signing Housh set the franchise back a ways...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I miss that dude....
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Yep losing Whit and Z cost us major the last two seasons. If you look at the best teams in the NFL you would see their lines are legit.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2018, 01:04 PM)McC Wrote: That probably wouldn't even break the top 100.

It was a joke
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2018, 01:57 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: It was a joke

I know.  So was my response.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 11:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Bad move to not re-sign Whitworth?  Absolutely.  Worst move ever?  Hardly.  Far higher on the list of bad moves would be sending Bill Walsh down the road..

It might seem like Mike Brown gets it earnestly..

Don't agree?  Fight me in the comments..

I agree with you. But can I still fight you? I could use a good ass-kicking.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 11:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Was not re-signing this guy:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/rams-andrew-whitworth-donating-paycheck-thousand-oaks-shooting-victims-185725763.html

Yes, great man is Whit.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2018, 02:54 PM)Interceptor Wrote: I agree with you. But can I still fight you? I could use a good ass-kicking.

Lol, my actual fighting days are behind me, unless you're posing an immediate threat to me or my family.  In that situation, I could likely pull off an emergency ass-kicking.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Once again, an example of the disaster that was the 2015 draft. Drafting 2 tackles high all but sealed the fate of Smith and Whitworth in Cincinnati. Too bad both of the young guys were unable to become even serviceable NFL players. Thanks for standing on the table, PA.

The Walsh decision was definitely the worst in the team's history, but the 2015 draft and the fallout that this team continues to see from it might be second.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2018, 03:05 PM)samhain Wrote: Once again, an example of the disaster that was the 2015 draft.  Drafting 2 tackles high all but sealed the fate of Smith and Whitworth in Cincinnati.  Too bad both of the young guys were unable to become even serviceable NFL players.  Thanks for standing on the table, PA.

The Walsh decision was definitely the worst in the team's history, but the 2015 draft and the fallout that this team continues to see from it might be second.

To be fair though, Walsh would never have had the freedom with the Bengals that he did with the 49ers. He still should have been chosen HC but he would not have had the impact he did with the 49ers
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2018, 03:05 PM)samhain Wrote: Once again, an example of the disaster that was the 2015 draft.  Drafting 2 tackles high all but sealed the fate of Smith and Whitworth in Cincinnati.  Too bad both of the young guys were unable to become even serviceable NFL players.  Thanks for standing on the table, PA.

Yeah, the problem with bargain shopping, when it comes to acquiring top-notch talent, is that if it works a time or two, it seems to become a way of life for guys like Mike Brown.  Because PA struck "gold" a time or two with undervalued talent, he led Mike to believe that he could do it on the routine basis.  

Mike Brown definitely has a problem, when it comes to relationships.  He gets comfortable because someone shows him limited success, and allows them to build tenure and trust.  When the relationship fails to yield continued positive returns, he holds on, in hopes that like a troubled family member they will bounce back.  (see examples Paul Alexander, Marvin Lewis)

Relationships are great for building organizational unity and such, but for putting together a championship NFL team?  Not so much..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2018, 02:07 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Horrible decision, Whitworth deserved more loyalty than he was given for sure. He earned it in my book.

In reality we did him a huge favor though. How much fun he must be having now, while living in a nicer climate with legitimate shot at SB even.

Worst move ever for Bengals yet the best move ever for Whit. Although he is too classy to ever say it.

Truth... Terrible move letting the franchise guy leave. Especially in his case.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2018, 03:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, the problem with bargain shopping, when it comes to acquiring top-notch talent, is that if it works a time or two, it seems to become a way of life for guys like Mike Brown.  Because PA struck "gold" a time or two with undervalued talent, he led Mike to believe that he could do it on the routine basis.  

Mike Brown definitely has a problem, when it comes to relationships.  He gets comfortable because someone shows him limited success, and allows them to build tenure and trust.  When the relationship fails to yield continued positive returns, he holds on, in hopes that like a troubled family member they will bounce back.  (see examples Paul Alexander, Marvin Lewis)

Relationships are great for building organizational unity and such, but for putting together a championship NFL team?  Not so much..

I mean, there's absolutely a potential for failure when an organization overreacts to every little thing.  There's something to be said about consistency and sticking with a plan.

The NFL was at one time about giving HCs a chance at a five-year-plan.  Now guys get canned at the drop of a hat.  There probably are a handful of guys that could have made it if their owner gave them another year or two.  

That said, there's patience, then there's stubbornness and laziness.  Mike knows all too well that he doesn't have to change if he doesn't want to. He's doesn't have an issue with insecurity or caring what anyone thinks.  Change will come in time, but often it's too little, too late as it was with PA.  Unfortunately, the next guy that's due is the HC, and lord only knows how long it'll take for Mike to decide Marvin's time here is through.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 01:26 AM)samhain Wrote:  
That said, there's patience, then there's stubbornness and laziness.  Mike knows all too well that he doesn't have to change if he doesn't want to. He's doesn't have an issue with insecurity or caring what anyone thinks.  Change will come in time, but often it's too little, too late as it was with PA.  Unfortunately, the next guy that's due is the HC, and lord only knows how long it'll take for Mike to decide Marvin's time here is through.

While Mike may be stubborn, I highly doubt that he's lazy.  Laziness is a trait rarely found in successful individuals.  What I do think is that Mike might feel like he's too close to the end of his days to build another trusting relationship with another head coach.  I think that might exactly be the reason that Marvin keeps getting to hang on with the Bengals.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Taking Ross over Mahomes in 2017 Draft is looking like a HORRIBLE DECISION about right now.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 11:26 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: He was my favorite player when he was here. He is a great person and would go after anybody who messed with his QB., a natural team leader.

To all long  long time suffering Bengals fans, I keep asking myself after 48 years of insanity,just how does it feel to all the rest of you to know when you wake up on a sunday morning to face a team like the aints,you are going to get embarrassed on national tv once again, and just get the crap beat out of you. These Bengals players know in their hearts they have no chance of even coming close to beating this great team and I so blame Marvin and this coaching staff to once again putting a horrible team on the field for the 2018 season.You do not see Sean Peyton and his staff doing this.His offense is tops this year,why you ask,because he wants to win a super bowl.Our franchise has giggles and he wishes he could come close and guess what,the pissburg stoolers are going to win this division AGAIN,AND once again as in every year be in the playoffs and I am betting they are playing for the afc championship,they simply know how to win.Its mind-numbing to see this every year.just insane for sure. Sad Cry
Reply/Quote
Long time lurker, just joined a few days ago.

I have read this board for years - never felt compelled to post.

But, you should all go back to March of '17 - The vast majority of the 'regulars' on here said Whit was old, not worth the money the Rams paid, and on a steady/accelerated decline.

I will even go back and find some of these comments. I guess you have to consider the source, tho. Most of the same people who said losing Whit was a smart, easy to solve loss are the same ones who have been telling everyone we will win a playoff game 'this year', for 25 straight years.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 10:51 AM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Taking Ross over Mahomes in 2017 Draft is looking like a HORRIBLE DECISION about right now.

Literally every 1st round pick after the 9th selection last year would be exponentially better than what ross has done, or will do for the bengals. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_NFL_Draft#Player_selections

Jon Allen
Howard
Engram
 - Every pick from 10-32
Reply/Quote
I'm happy for him. He made the best decision he could've possibly made and is experiencing greatness he nor any bengal will ever. Plus he got a huge contract and gets to get a taste of the Cali lifestyle. He deserves it all.
Reply/Quote
March 2017:

SHRacerX:

"You are absolutely correct. We all loved Whit, but the fact is it was time to turn the roster, get younger and faster, and see what they can do. This team didn't win a playoff game with the old guard, and maybe it can be a better team with the infusion of youth and speed. "

XenoMorph:

"Wish you the best Whit... But if big pay day is what you were after you know it was gonna come from a team that wasn't in the hunt."

CageTheBengal:

"Pretty disappointing/funny he isn't at least going to a winner. Can't say I respect that but it's his choice."

(The Rams are 19 and 6 since Whit signed)

JumboTron

"Man, talk about overpaying, 3yr/36 million, 15 million guaranteed for a 35 year old. Good for Whit though on getting a nice pay day."
Reply/Quote