Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Post Draft Thoughts
I have to say after this draft that I feel even better about the direction that this new staff is going with this franchise. I was never a Lewis hater but I really like the energy and apparent direction of this new staff.

It would appear that they understand the division they are in and are not going to force the square peg in the round hole. They seem to want to take proven ideologies for this division and improve upon them. It looks as if they have a clear vision for an identity already and are committed to pounding the football and imposing their will on opposing defenses. I really like that.

It looks like with the drafting of Sample that they are going to truly use the TE as that extra blocker which will play heavily into him being a weapon in the play action passing game and he is absolutely the ideal fit for this type of a scheme. With him lining up next to either Jonah Williams or Cordy Glenn it should make for a formidable tandem on the end of the line in run blocking.

I like that it seems the defensive staff wants to simply the scheme and allow the guys to just play fast and instinctive. I think many times that teams out scheme themselves. The Patriots are so stinking good on both sides of the ball because they use simple schemes but just execute them relatively flawlessly.

Just some post draft thoughts. I have to say that at this point I really like the direction it seems to be going.
Reply/Quote
I feel like the goal is to build a physical team that can block. And really, I think that's how to win with Dalton. Run 1st. Pass 2nd. Put Dalton in a position to succeed.

They also drafted a LB that can cover. The Bengals for years drafted slow, physical LBs.

Now we need some of these guys to turn into Good Pros.

Looking back over the Lewis drafts...in some we nabbed 3-4 quality starters.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 02:09 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I feel like the goal is to build a physical team that can block. And really, I think that's how to win with Dalton. Run 1st. Pass 2nd. Put Dalton in a position to succeed.

They also drafted a LB that can cover. The Bengals for years drafted slow, physical LBs.

Now we need some of these guys to turn into Good Pros.

Looking back over the Lewis drafts...in some we nabbed 3-4 quality starters.

I think that is a plan of success for any QB. I am not a huge Turner fan but I believe what he stated in one of the press conferences and that is O linemen do not like to constantly pass block. They like to line up and take the fight to the defense in run blocking. I honestly think that is a fact. It is their chance to exert their aggression.

A running game that runs when it wants to opens up so many others things.
Reply/Quote
Overall I'm very happy with the draft as a whole. I was doing a church camp event and thankfully missed the fireworks of the Sample draft pick. It seems like this pick is where all topics and reviews are ending up, right or wrong.

I was cool with trading down, and if he's worth that selection in their eyes so be it, I'm just surprised by how much they were sold. Nfl.com's rankings had 10 TEs at or above 5.50 on their scale from possible starter up. Issac Nauta, a descent blocker was #10 and .09 off on their scale from #7 Sample. Even if he was one of the best blockers, how far off were the other guys?

Also, if a blocking TE was that high of a priority, why didn't they look for one in FA in case their guy was gone? They gambled with QB if indeed they were blown away by Finley. I loved the trade and pick but that is some serious gambling.

So put in perspective, some of us wanted another defender like Mack Wilson or Willis instead and both plummeted in the draft. So, I'm happy with the draft as a whole, they recovered well but there's nothing wrong with discussing the Sample pick. He could very well be a great pick, but it's looking like we are going to have to get used to seeing his name on here. I just hope that if he doesn't play well we get into a told you so contest, let's hope we enjoy wins and a great PA game instead.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 02:51 PM)phil413 Wrote: Overall I'm very happy with the draft as a whole.  I was doing a church camp event and thankfully missed the fireworks of the Sample draft pick.  It seems like this pick is where all topics and reviews are ending up, right or wrong.

I was cool with trading down, and if he's worth that selection in their eyes so be it, I'm just surprised by how much they were sold.  Nfl.com's rankings had 10 TEs at or above 5.50 on their scale from possible starter up.  Issac Nauta, a descent blocker was #10 and .09 off on their scale from #7 Sample.  Even if he was one of the best blockers, how far off were the other guys?

Also, if a blocking TE was that high of a priority, why didn't they look for one in FA in case their guy was gone?  They gambled with QB if indeed they were blown away by Finley. I loved the trade and pick but that is some serious gambling.  

So put in perspective, some of us wanted another defender like Mack Wilson or Willis instead and both plummeted in the draft.  So, I'm happy with the draft as a whole, they recovered well but there's nothing wrong with discussing the Sample pick.  He could very well be a great pick, but it's looking like we are going to have to get used to seeing his name on here.  I just hope that if he doesn't play well we get into a told you so contest, let's hope we enjoy wins and a great PA game instead.

I thought they played the Finley chess match perfectly. I think the held out only as long as they felt was reasonably safe to wait and then used their draft capital to move up. I think it was very calculated by them and fortunately worked like they felt it would.

By the way Sample was graded out as they highest ranking blocking TE in the class not as one of the highest graded. Also if I am not mistaken the Patriots and Rams were the two teams that used the highest % of play action last season.
Reply/Quote
Well, we got to see a different draft philosophy this weekend than what we have seen in a long time.

Marvin’s drafts were heavily tilted towards BPA and as a result we did wind up with talented players, but also wound up with players who despite talent did not fit our system (whatever it was - lack of schematic identity was also a Marvin thing) and we got more than our share of head cases.

In this first draft at least, ZT seemed to be ignoring BPA and instead looking for pieces he felt were needed to implement his plan for the team - particularly on offense. There was an emphasis on blocking and line play over the skill positions. Yes they traded up to get Finley but there it was a combination of Finley fitting their system and also probably not wanting to see Jeff Driskel under center ever again :)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm a big fan of Taylor's first draft. I love the emphasis on shoring up the blocking, with 2 talented additions to the line and the TE. As Taylor said, if they can't run the ball, the offense will struggle. I thought Finley was a good pick in the 4th, and I'm really excited about the potential of both Pratt and Wren. 

Getting Williams in the 6th was a great pickup, and I may be in the minority, but I loved the pick of Rodney Anderson. He is worth the late round gamble. He's an insanely talented back. If he can get healthy and put the injuries behind him, the Bengals got themselves one helluva RB.

I also like the fact that they got so many high character and work ethic players, many who were also team captains in college. 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 02:24 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I think that is a plan of success for any QB. I am not a huge Turner fan but I believe what he stated in one of the press conferences and that is O linemen do not like to constantly pass block. They like to line up and take the fight to the defense in run blocking. I honestly think that is a fact. It is their chance to exert their aggression.

A running game that runs when it wants to opens up so many others things.

Really, when factoring in age...Mixon is our best player probably on the team. Why not build the offense around him? Should he get injured, we have Bernard.

Green and Boyd in the passing game are a Top 5 WR Duo too in the NFL.

The building blocks are there. We just have to give Dalton time to throw and Mixon holes to run.

I know that people think the run blocking was better last year, but Mixon made a lot of the runs himself with great vision and athletic ability. There were no holes there. It's harder to see on TV than it is in person at the stadium.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 03:03 PM)Joelist Wrote: Well, we got to see a different draft philosophy this weekend than what we have seen in a long time.

Marvin’s drafts were heavily tilted towards BPA and as a result we did wind up with talented players, but also wound up with players who despite talent did not fit our system (whatever it was - lack of schematic identity was also a Marvin thing) and we got more than our share of head cases.

In this first draft at least, ZT seemed to be ignoring BPA and instead looking for pieces he felt were needed to implement his plan for the team - particularly on offense. There was an emphasis on blocking and line play over the skill positions. Yes they traded up to get Finley but there it was a combination of Finley fitting their system and also probably not wanting to see Jeff Driskel under center ever again :)

I think he was able to accomplish both to an extent. Jonah Williams, Finley, Michael Jordan, and Trayveon Williams were near or at the top of the best available lists for NFL.com/ESPN when they were selected. 

I found it refreshing to see the Taylor and Tobin have a clear plan on how they're going to build the team (even if we didn't know what phase 1 was going to look like before the draft). It has me excited to see what phase 2 and 3 are going to look like the next few years. 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 03:24 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I'm a big fan of Taylor's first draft. I love the emphasis on shoring up the blocking, with 2 talented additions to the line and the TE. As Taylor said, if they can't run the ball, the offense will struggle. I thought Finley was a good pick in the 4th, and I'm really excited about the potential of both Pratt and Wren. 

Getting Williams in the 6th was a great pickup, and I may be in the minority, but I loved the pick of Rodney Anderson. He is worth the late round gamble. He's an insanely talented back. If he can get healthy and put the injuries behind him, the Bengals got themselves one helluva RB.

I also like the fact that they got so many high character and work ethic players, many who were also team captains in college. 

I agree. I think doubling up on RB was a good move and I like the idea of these 2 battling for a roster spot. It really increases the chance of hitting on one of them. 
Reply/Quote
After a day to step back I do feel better about this draft.

There aren't any high picks with injury plagued college careers, which has been one of my pet peeves about the Bengals drafts in recent years.

There also aren't any sad story prospects with off field baggage, another irritation.

I'm hoping Sample turns into an undiscovered Gronk.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 03:48 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: I think he was able to accomplish both to an extent. Jonah Williams, Finley, Michael Jordan, and Trayveon Williams were near or at the top of the best available lists for NFL.com/ESPN when they were selected. 

I found it refreshing to see the Taylor and Tobin have a clear plan on how they're going to build the team (even if we didn't know what phase 1 was going to look like before the draft). It has me excited to see what phase 2 and 3 are going to look like the next few years. 

Great thoughts and I was thinking the same thing in reference to the draft. I guess it could be said that they found value in taking BPA in reference to their needs rather than just BPA overall.

I am with you as far as going forward. It is refreshing to see the off season being attacked with rather clear direction and unity in that vision.
Reply/Quote
I just wish that free agency went better in regards to upgrading LB. I still see that as a weakness and that's IF these guys are all healthy. IF a guy gets injured, it could be a disaster.

That said, maybe Jefferson or Evans improve? I guess I'm penciling Pratt in as a starter. Pratt, Brown, and Vigil. That's somewhat scary.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 03:47 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Really, when factoring in age...Mixon is our best player probably on the team. Why not build the offense around him? Should he get injured, we have Bernard.

The building blocks are there. We just have to give Dalton time to throw and Mixon holes to run.

I know that people think the run blocking was better last year, but Mixon made a lot of the runs himself with great vision and athletic ability. There were no holes there. It's harder to see on TV than it is in person at the stadium.
Absolutely agree. The run blocking was not better we just had an all world back making runs on his own. Imagine that same back behind a very good run blocking line.

I think most know that I am not a Dalton hater and I would call most to look at the season he broke his throwing thumb. At the time of the injury he was on an MVP pace. I do believe that with a really good running game and being able to truly utilize the PA game that this team can make a very deep post season run with Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 03:56 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I just wish that free agency went better in regards to upgrading LB. I still see that as a weakness and that's IF these guys are all healthy. IF a guy gets injured, it could be a disaster.

That said, maybe Jefferson or Evans improve? I guess I'm penciling Pratt in as a starter. Pratt, Brown, and Vigil. That's somewhat scary.
To me a major factor is not having an outdated LB coach. I think the modern game has really passed Haslett by. When you look at the measurables of many of the guys that we currently have in that room that they check most of the boxes for the modern LB.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 03:24 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I'm a big fan of Taylor's first draft. I love the emphasis on shoring up the blocking, with 2 talented additions to the line and the TE. As Taylor said, if they can't run the ball, the offense will struggle. I thought Finley was a good pick in the 4th, and I'm really excited about the potential of both Pratt and Wren. 

(04-28-2019, 03:51 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: I agree. I think doubling up on RB was a good move and I like the idea of these 2 battling for a roster spot. It really increases the chance of hitting on one of them. 

I think when some complain about both the RB selections they forget that we only have 3 RBs on the current roster and one of those is a former QB that they are trying to convert to RB. It is very realistic that both the draft selection make the roster. They may not make active every week but both could make the roster especially if one of them proves valuable in the return game.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 03:57 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Absolutely agree. The run blocking was not better we just had an all world back making runs on his own. Imagine that same back behind a very good run blocking line.

I think most know that I am not a Dalton hater and I would call most to look at the season he broke his throwing thumb. At the time of the injury he was on an MVP pace. I do believe that with a really good running game and being able to truly utilize the PA game that this team can make a very deep post season run with Dalton.

I like Dalton. What I'll say about him is this: You can put an elite guy like Rodgers out there with his starting WR's out and some lineman injured and he'll put up good numbers. With Dalton, you can't do that.

It's not a bad thing. It just means you have to be more deliberate about building around him.

And coincidentally, that formula hasn't worked out well for the Packers recently.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 04:05 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I like Dalton. What I'll say about him is this: You can put an elite guy like Rodgers out there with his starting WR's out and some lineman injured and he'll put up good numbers. With Dalton, you can't do that.

It's not a bad thing. It just means you have to be more deliberate about building around him.

And coincidentally, that formula hasn't worked out well for the Packers recently.

Okay I have to admit you and I agreeing like this is starting to weird me out...….lol.
Reply/Quote
I noticed the Steelers drafted to shore up their D. Which tells me they had us in mind when they drafted their players. I believe they see as as a bigger threat than the Ravens and even the Browns, regardless of the media warming up to them.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 03:47 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Really, when factoring in age...Mixon is our best player probably on the team. Why not build the offense around him? Should he get injured, we have Bernard.

He probably sees Mixon as our Todd Gurley. He should. Mixon is a top 5 back already.

(04-28-2019, 04:34 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: I noticed the Steelers drafted to shore up their D. Which tells me they had us in mind when they drafted their players.  I believe they see as as a bigger threat than the Ravens and even the Browns, regardless of the media warming up to them.

I wouldn't write off the Browns offense. Mayfield, Beckham Jr, Jarvis Landry, Kareem Hunt, Nick Chubb, David Njoku, etc.

They are absolutely loaded on offense.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote