Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post draft kool-aid
I know some on here will say, “I’m Done!” After the season is over. With the events of late following a series of bad years, coaching, etc. I guess I understand more now than in the past about your frustrations. I’ve been a very strong supporter of this team in the past which I guess kept me from throwing in the towel or feeling like we can do it next year. Let’s just call that living in denial.

Although I don’t think I have the heart to ever throw in the towel on this team or stop hoping, what we’ve experienced of late has left me more deflated than in the history of my fan hood. I feel this organization is really telling us they don’t care about the fans or success. I mean there’s always been a little speculation on my part as to the level of care they may have given about the town and fan base. However, with our current course I am left feeling they don’t care at all. Zero.

I’ve noticed in my many years of being a member of the boards that most fans get excited after the draft and start jumping on board the excitement train again. This year they really gave us some hope and most on here drank the kool-aid, just like we have year after year. Now I’m sure they will attempt to pull some shenanigans to get fans interested again because, well, it’s revenue.

With everything that has happened this year, is it even possible to have that mustard seed of faith grow at the beginning of next year? Regardless of who we draft it is probable they will struggle to be successful on this team. The organization will still be the same. There will be no accountability whatsoever and we could go on and on. So my question is this:

Is it even possible that you fall for the hype, knowing what you know, and drink the kool-aid again?

I don’t think I can do it. I will still be a fan, but I strongly feel my enthusiasm meter will only point to blah.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm not going to stop being a Bengals fan, ever. But if Merv is back or Hue is promoted my Bengal fandom will be near zero and no amount of Hobspin articles or koolaid will get me onboard. This team needs a new direction-period.
Reply/Quote
I think, if there is new leadership at the coach level, and they really do "clean house" and basically hire new staff, you can get excited again. Remember the 90s HarleyDog. Nothing was as bad as that, and back then, we would have considered this year a success. Don't give up buddy....someday...someday
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 02:25 PM)No-huddle Joe Wrote: I think, if there is new leadership at the coach level, and they really do "clean house" and basically hire new staff, you can get excited again. Remember the 90s HarleyDog. Nothing was as bad as that, and back then, we would have considered this year a success. Don't give up buddy....someday...someday

I will never give up being a fan. I just don’t think I will be able to muster any level of enthusiasm prior to the season. I used to count down the months, weeks and days to the beginning of the season because excitement would take over. Just don’t know if that will happen next year. Mike basically telling Marv it’s his decision on if he stays was a big “screw you Bengal fans” gesture. There is no commitment to winning with our current organization.

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 02:50 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I will never give up being a fan. I just don’t think I will be able to muster any level of enthusiasm prior to the season. I used to count down the months, weeks and days to the beginning of the season because excitement would take over. Just don’t know if that will happen next year. Mike basically telling Marv it’s his decision on if he stays was a big “screw you Bengal fans” gesture. There is no commitment to winning with our current organization.

Exactly,

You can't bring this guy back, again, without saying screw winning and flipping a giant bird to the fans.
Reply/Quote
2015 was the straw for me, I still follow, still a fan but essentially have no connection emotionally. Just waiting for Mikey to die or go senile. Then we will see..
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 02:10 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: "I feel this organization is really telling us they don’t care about the fans or success. I mean there’s always been a little speculation on my part as to the level of care they may have given about the town and fan base. However, with our current course I am left feeling they don’t care at all. Zero."...

"Is it even possible that you fall for the hype, knowing what you know, and drink the kool-aid again?"

I don't think it's their job to worry what we think, so that does not offend me.

It is their job to be competent, and if they stick with the current cadre of coaches they are demonstrating incompetence - which for me is even more discouraging

It will be really hard to drink the kool-aid if they stick with the current coaching staff.   We need a new coaching staff that has shown signs of being very successful in some respect - and the head coach must be allowed to pick his own staff

I will always be a fan and will get excited at any indications they are making good decisions.   But I'll be hard to win over this year.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 02:10 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I know some on here will say, “I’m Done!” After the season is over. With the events of late following a series of bad years, coaching, etc. I guess I understand more now than in the past about your frustrations. I’ve been a very strong supporter of this team in the past which I guess kept me from throwing in the towel or feeling like we can do it next year. Let’s just call that living in denial.

Although I don’t think I have the heart to ever throw in the towel on this team or stop hoping, what we’ve experienced of late has left me more deflated than in the history of my fan hood. I feel this organization is really telling us they don’t care about the fans or success. I mean there’s always been a little speculation on my part as to the level of care they may have given about the town and fan base. However, with our current course I am left feeling they don’t care at all. Zero.

I’ve noticed in my many years of being a member of the boards that most fans get excited after the draft and start jumping on board the excitement train again. This year they really gave us some hope and most on here drank the kool-aid, just like we have year after year. Now I’m sure they will attempt to pull some shenanigans to get fans interested again because, well, it’s revenue.

With everything that has happened this year, is it even possible to have that mustard seed of faith grow at the beginning of next year? Regardless of who we draft it is probable they will struggle to be successful on this team. The organization will still be the same. There will be no accountability whatsoever and we could go on and on. So my question is this:

Is it even possible that you fall for the hype, knowing what you know, and drink the kool-aid again?

I don’t think I can do it. I will still be a fan, but I strongly feel my enthusiasm meter will only point to blah.

I am with you, they would have to move on from Marv and get a new HC and let him pick the staff if i was to drink
the Kool-Aid again. Need a change here terribly for me to have hope again. Have to freshen this place up, it stinks.

Will always be a Bengal fan, just not an enthusiastic one until we see big time changes.
Reply/Quote
Bruce Coslet: "You get me some O Linemen, I can win with this guy"
Mike Brown: "Were taking a QB"

Enough said.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals have drafted 1 Pro Bowler in the last 7 drafts, and he is more fragile than Bob Sanders.

There should be 0 post-draft kool aid.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 03:21 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Bruce Coslet: "You get me some O Linemen, I can win with this guy"
Mike Brown: "Were taking a QB"

Enough said.

Yeah, that was one of the many gigantic mistakes by Mike Brown. The guy does the opposite of logic just like the characters from Scary Movie, except Mike Brown is a real life nightmare for the team, fans and players.

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 02:25 PM)No-huddle Joe Wrote: I think, if there is new leadership at the coach level, and they really do "clean house" and basically hire new staff, you can get excited again.  Remember the 90s HarleyDog.  Nothing was as bad as that, and back then, we would have considered this year a success.  Don't give up buddy....someday...someday

I really dont think anyone has to worry about that anymore. The 90's were awful because of some of the worst drafting ever and bad draft picks in the top 5 could set back a franchise years.  The rookie wage scale has kept these contracts manageable and the NFL is set up for teams to make a quick turnaround.

A new coaching staff would go a long way into changing the feelings around here.  I dont think we have to worry about going back to the 90's but we do have to worry about not getting with the times.
Reply/Quote
The one variable that may keep fans interested in next season is injury to key players.  The team that started the season with promise is a shell of the team that will play the last game of the season.  

Even if there are no significant changes at the coaching personnel, fans can rationalize that the season tanked because so many starters and key rotational players were placed on IR.  When the Bengals played the first game of the season, I had hope and believed that they may have turned the corner.  They drafted a popular Center in the first round which has not been done in years.  They brought in some decent free agents.  They fired Paul Alexander which, in itself, was uplifting.  

Coaching changes, notwithstanding, there were concerns that raised flags by many fans.  The front office did not adequately address the O-Line. The linebacker core was questionable along with Burfict’s injury/suspension history.  The 2018 draft was not that great and caused some head scratching with the later round picks.  I didn’t really count on Eifert to play many games due to injury history.

If the Front Office were to make sweeping changes in the coaching staff, Mike Brown decides to retire completely from day-to-day operations, and the 2019 draft addresses key needs at linebacker, Tight-End, and offensive line, then I will once again be hopeful and tuned in to watch games. Conversely, if the Front Office decides to “wash-rinse-repeat” then I will not watch games.  I will still be a Bengal Fan, but I will follow game stats and scores from afar.  I will still be an active supportive member on the Bengal Forum.  Even Mike Brown cannot take that away from me.  

[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 07:17 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: The one variable that may keep fans interested in next season is injury to key players.  The team that started the season with promise is a shell of the team that will play the last game of the season.  

Even if there are no significant changes at the coaching personnel, fans can rationalize that the season tanked because so many starters and key rotational players were placed on IR.  When the Bengals played the first game of the season, I had hope and believed that they may have turned the corner.  They drafted a popular Center in the first round which has not been done in years.  They brought in some decent free agents.  They fired Paul Alexander which, in itself, was uplifting.  

Coaching changes, notwithstanding, there were concerns that raised flags by many fans.  The front office did not adequately address the O-Line. The linebacker core was questionable along with Burfict’s injury/suspension history.  The 2018 draft was not that great and caused some head scratching with the later round picks.  I didn’t really count on Eifert to play many games due to injury history.

If the Front Office were to make sweeping changes in the coaching staff, Mike Brown decides to retire completely from day-to-day operations, and the 2019 draft addresses key needs at linebacker, Tight-End, and offensive line, then I will once again be hopeful and tuned in to watch games. Conversely, if the Front Office decides to “wash-rinse-repeat” then I will not watch games.  I will still be a Bengal Fan, but I will follow game stats and scores from afar.  I will still be an active supportive member on the Bengal Forum.  Even Mike Brown cannot take that away from me.

This is me Doc

If there aren't major moves I'm not buying back in.
Reply/Quote
We can’t keep using injuries as an excuse ever year. Every team has them. We were pretty damn healthy when we got smoked by Kansas City We knew offensive line sucked three years ago and have nothing to improve it. Except lose our 2 best players and resign Dre Kirkpatrick who’s absolutely trash. If Marvin comes back I’m saving money n not getting the NFL ticket.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 07:17 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: The one variable that may keep fans interested in next season is injury to key players.  The team that started the season with promise is a shell of the team that will play the last game of the season.  

2018 brought Bates, Hubbard & Price (who was playing well before being injured).

We need to mortgage our next few drafts to bring in players that are difference makers.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 08:33 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: 2018 brought Bates, Hubbard & Price (who was playing well before being injured).

We need to mortgage our next few drafts to bring in players that are difference makers.

If this team is to have any chance next season they've got to get a couple top tier free agents. You can't fill all of our holes in one draft.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 09:14 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: If this team is to have any chance next season they've got to get a couple top tier free agents. You can't fill all of our holes in one draft.

That’s what I’m saying. They need to make some trades using the next coupla drafts as trade bait.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote

Agree with your last paragraph Psych, i still saw Marv get outcoached though after that first Stooler loss
the team just fell apart. I put this on the coaches, namely Marv and then the injuries happened. Great
coaches know how to coach up backup players when injuries happen, Belichick does, Marv doesn't.

(12-27-2018, 07:22 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: This is me Doc

If there aren't major moves I'm not buying back in.

Same.

(12-27-2018, 07:31 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: We can’t keep using injuries as an excuse ever year.  Every team has them.  We were pretty damn healthy when we got smoked by Kansas City    We knew offensive line sucked three years ago and have nothing to improve it.  Except  lose our 2 best players and resign Dre Kirkpatrick who’s absolutely trash.  If Marvin comes back I’m saving money n not getting the NFL ticket.

Agreed.

(12-27-2018, 08:33 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: 2018 brought Bates, Hubbard & Price (who was playing well before being injured).

I really like the future of these guys to go along with Mixon and Boyd.

Need to make some trades true DA, we are a very young team, need some FA's. Proven.
Reply/Quote
The sad part to me is that i do believe everyone was trying their hardest. But we still sucked. Obviously that screams coaching/ talent deficiency. Injuries, too-mainly on offense. Defensively i do think the rule changes played a small part. Our defense has gone downhill since we lost Peko and Zimmer. I know a lot of people screamed about how bad he was, but our run defense was better with him, and we seemed to gel as a defensive line more. Granted, we could have been better. We need a knockout partner for Geno. We need a big nose takle. We need more depth at corner. We need better coaching. We need a coach that can be successful at adapting to the rule changes. Then we need another tackle on offense at the very least. Losing Whitworth was a ginormous blow a couple years ago. He dared us to try to replace him, we tried, failed. This team is a train wreck. I wouldve liked to see us grab a pass catxhing tight end to replace Eifert, we passed on Goedert in the 2nd. Probably could have taken him, and traded up to get Jessie Bates, then Hubbard in the 3rd. Didnt do it. We probably get an offensive or defensive tackle in round one this year. Hopefully we can get the other in the second and hit on both picks. We desperately need to. But if we dont get a good defensive coordinator it wont matter. I dont know how we can go from 2015 to where we are now. Why let whitworth go? Why draft a guard in the first round and only play him for 4 years? Why make that pick in the first place? The steelers have it perfected. The winning culture. We dont have that. Marv has raised the level of play but where is the winning culture?

Im sure they’ll keep trying.. not sure if next year will be any different. This team is embarrassing.
Reply/Quote