Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post draft kool-aid
I love the pre-mike brown Bengals. And I love some of the guys who came through here and tried to win.

But I don't get very excited about the draft. We've whiffed a lot lately. And even when we don't, we don't do what we need to win.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2018, 02:50 AM)Benton Wrote: I love the pre-mike brown Bengals. And I love some of the guys who came through here and tried to win.

But I don't get very excited about the draft. We've whiffed a lot lately. And even when we don't, we don't do what we need to win.

This is what is driving fans away from the Bengals. We are the most risk adverse organization in sports. We go after low tier free agents, keep the same head coach after a string of no playoffs, and somehow never understand how to game plan with our talent. We see promising young talent never improve or never see the playing field to see if they are promising. We just get stuck in wash, rinse, repeat while other organizations gamble to bring in top talent to accent their draft picks. At least they tried to get better!
Reply/Quote
This happens every year...then we'll draft some people that no one has ever heard of and people will act like we drafted 7 Pro Bowl players and all be recharged!

Then, preseason happens and guys like Auden Tate are touted to be Super Stars because of what they do against 4th string CB's! And guys like Billings are projected to get 12 sacks!
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 02:58 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: 2015 was the straw for me, I still follow, still a fan but essentially have no connection emotionally. Just waiting for Mikey to die or go senile. Then we will see..

Yep. That's when I felt my fandom kinda die off a bit. Each losing season (and Marvin extension) since has only added to it. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2018, 02:54 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yep. That's when I felt my fandom kinda die off a bit. Each losing season (and Marvin extension) since has only added to it. 

2015 was devastating. IF you can get a game to the point that you just have to run out the clock and lose...

The year we beat SD in SD and then lost to them in the playoffs here was bad too. That was a situation almost custom setup for us to win. And we lost.
Reply/Quote
W...whait..err..wait I mean .. We'll draft a 7th round wr who will sit on the bench for 15 games only to become yet another in the long line of players who could have been superstars IF ONLY .. 
Hobs will write about his athletic ability which will instantly equate to exactly zero in real games and everyone will clamore to see him start every game up until he's finally cut and working at Walmart as a greater.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2018, 12:01 AM)grampahol Wrote: W...whait..err..wait I mean .. We'll draft a 7th round wr who will sit on the bench for 15 games only to become yet another in the long line of players who could have been superstars IF ONLY .. 
Hobs will write about his athletic ability which will instantly equate to exactly zero in real games and everyone will clamore to see him start every game up until he's finally cut and working at Walmart as a greater.. 

The amount of PR Spin articles through the offseason and Preseason are pretty ridiculous.

IF there's anything this fanbase should realize it's that preseason games mean nothing and cannot be used to judge the team.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2018, 12:48 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The amount of PR Spin articles through the offseason and Preseason are pretty ridiculous.

IF there's anything this fanbase should realize it's that preseason games mean nothing and cannot be used to judge the team.

Not at all. It can be used to judge players, but sometimes we take it a little far. What baffles me is that a player can do pretty good in preseason but ride Marvins bench come game 1. If a guy earns a job, give it to him. That's what Hues problem was in Cleveland. Mayfield clearly won the QB position, but Hue wanted the experience - then gone! Marvin is the same way. Marvin loves his veterans and plays experience in front of talent. Might have been ok 10yrs ago, but not in todays NFL.

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2018, 04:31 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Not at all. It can be used to judge players, but sometimes we take it a little far. What baffles me is that a player can do pretty good in preseason but ride Marvins bench come game 1. If a guy earns a job, give it to him. That's what Hues problem was in Cleveland. Mayfield clearly won the QB position, but Hue wanted the experience - then gone! Marvin is the same way. Marvin loves his veterans and plays experience in front of talent. Might have been ok 10yrs ago, but not in todays NFL.

Yep and don’t forget Nick Chubb getting no snaps because they had Carlos Hyde. Hue and Marvin are cut from the same cloth. They love their vets and rookies play if no other option or some reason I can’t fathom. How else do you explain Jefferson not playing? I’m not saying he will be a star but his speed, pedigree and the weakness and injuries of the LB group should have translated to a serious look. Instead a typical redshirt year. Redshirt years can hinder development imo
Reply/Quote