Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potential head coach candidates
(11-20-2018, 08:06 PM)McC Wrote: Mike is to blame for keeping Marv.  Other than that, it's all Marv's fault.  He is the shit show leader.  

That is not what you say during free agency.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 03:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. So you think we've had just enough talent to make the playoffs 7 times, but never quite enough talent to not get embarrassed in the playoffs? Do you realize how logically unlikely that seems? 

Nothing illogical about it at all.  In 2011 our biggest regular season victory was against the 9-7 Titans who did not even make the playoffs.

What sound illogical to me is claiming that talent level does not matter and Mike Browns policy of never signing a top free agent to plug a hole has no effect on our ability to win.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 08:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That is not what you say during free agency.

About all I say during FA is which bum will be our grand LB signee.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 03:24 PM)Benton Wrote: Mike Brown's team, despite being handicapped by Marvin Lewis, has finished middle of the pack in winning percentage against playoff teams because Marvin Lewis can't beat playoff teams.

Smirk

Marvin Lewis teams finishes middle of the pack in winning percentage against playoff teams IN SPITE OF being handicapped by Mike Brown's free agent policy.

How did Mike do with 3 different coaches before he hired Marvin?
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 08:15 PM)McC Wrote: About all I say during FA is which bum will be our grand LB signee.

Exactly.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 08:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Marvin Lewis teams finishes middle of the pack in winning percentage against playoff teams IN SPITE OF being handicapped by Mike Brown's free agent policy.

How did Mike do with 3 different coaches before he hired Marvin?

How's he doing now?

In the beginning, it was all on Mike.  Now, it's all on Marv.  He and his clown posse are out coached on a weekly basis.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
It starts from the top down ,owner,coaching,qb,rest of team. Mike brown does spend money on the wrong guys,and brings duds in every year. We have draft that everybody gets hyped for, season starts everyone is healthy theres a glimmer of hope,then injuries happen, coaching sucks,qb is average,cant beat good teams or pitt,dont go to the playoffs or bounced out first round. Put on cycle and repeat.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 11:36 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: It starts from the top down ,owner,coaching,qb,rest of team. Mike brown does spend money on the wrong guys,and brings duds in every year. We have draft that everybody gets hyped for, season starts everyone is healthy theres a glimmer of hope,then injuries happen, coaching sucks,qb is average,cant beat good teams or pitt,dont go to the playoffs or bounced out first round. Put on cycle and repeat.

Wait? Are you saying that a team that hasn't won a playoff game in 26+ years is poorly managed?
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 01:11 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I never understand this claim. There are only 32 of these jobs in world. THIRTY TWO. I’m sure plenty of really good coaches would kill to coach the Cincinnati Bengals.

That's not always the case. Depending on the situation, some jobs just aren't desirable. Lane Kiffin was not the Raiders number one choice. Plenty of candidates backed out before Davis resorted to hiring Kiffin. It also happened with Mike Pettine in Cleveland. Obviously someone will want the job, but some jobs are just not desired by big time coaches.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
It's Hue Jackson unless proven otherwise.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 08:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Nothing illogical about it at all.  In 2011 our biggest regular season victory was against the 9-7 Titans who did not even make the playoffs.

What sound illogical to me is claiming that talent level does not matter and Mike Browns policy of never signing a top free agent to plug a hole has no effect on our ability to win.

We've made it 7 times. 

In 2009 we beat the 11-5 Packers in Lambeau, and swept the Steelers and Ravens (both winning teams) before losing to a 9-7 Jets team.
In 2012 we beat the Giants and Redskins (both winning teams) before losing to the Texans
In 2013 we beat the Packers, Patriots, Colts and Chargers before losing to the Chargers
In 2014 we beat the Texans, Broncos and swept the Ravens before losing to the Colts

I could see pointing at 1-2 seasons and saying "we didn't have enough talent to possibly be expected to win a playoff game". But 7 seasons (or anything close) is when you just sound like you're making up excuses. 

This supposed lack of talent excuse doesn't fly when you consider we lost games to Mark Sanchez and TJ Yates when we had far superior talent at QB. I've witnessed countless 9-7 type teams advance through the playoffs, but Marv couldn't be expected to win a single playoff game in 7 tries when he's had some of the best players in franchise history? The excuses are weak, Fred. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2018, 02:22 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This supposed lack of talent excuse doesn't fly when you consider we lost games to Mark Sanchez and TJ Yates when we had far superior talent at QB. 

Mark Sanchez had the #1 defense in the league and the #1 rushing game in the league.

Yates had the #2 defense and the #2 rushing game.

If lack of talent does not matter then why does this message board go into meltdown mode every year during free agency?  Why has everyone been squealing about the Bengals not signing or trading for new players at this years deadline?  Why all the crying and drama if talent does not matter?
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2018, 02:22 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: In 2009 we beat the 11-5 Packers in Lambeau, and swept the Steelers and Ravens (both winning teams) before losing to a 9-7 Jets team.
In 2012 we beat the Giants and Redskins (both winning teams) before losing to the Texans
In 2013 we beat the Packers, Patriots, Colts and Chargers before losing to the Chargers
In 2014 we beat the Texans, Broncos and swept the Ravens before losing to the Colts

This can't be possible.  Marvin has never won any "big games" against good teams.  He always gets outcoached in those, remember?
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2018, 02:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Mark Sanchez had the #1 defense in the league and the #1 rushing game in the league.

Yates had the #2 defense and the #2 rushing game.

If lack of talent does not matter then why does this message board go into meltdown mode every year during free agency?  Why has everyone been squealing about the Bengals not signing or trading for new players at this years deadline?  Why all the crying and drama if talent does not matter?

I always want as much talent as possible. That said, if this team has enough talent to win divisions and beat winning teams, you can't say they don't have enough talent to win a single playoff game. Heck, maybe we can start by trying not to get completely embarrassed.

BTW, what was our defensive rankings when we played Yates and Sanchez?

(11-21-2018, 02:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This can't be possible.  Marvin has never won any "big games" against good teams.  He always gets outcoached in those, remember?

Try addressing the point.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2018, 02:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This can't be possible.  Marvin has never won any "big games" against good teams.  He always gets outcoached in those, remember?

Let’s say each playoff game that the Bengals have played sinceMarvin Lewis became coach represents an independent “draw” (probably not 100% true, but a reasonable assumption). Let’s also say that the Bengals had just a 40% chance to win each of those games. What do you think the probability is that the Bengals would go winless in those games under those parameters?
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2018, 03:08 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Try addressing the point.

I have and I doesn't make any difference.  When I point out that other teams were favored you claim that doesn't mean anything.

When I point out that the '09 team was garbage after Henry got injured and the '14 team started Rex Burkhead at WR you claim it doesn't mean any thing.

The entire Bengals team could die in a plane crash and you would claim it doesn't matter because "good coaches can win with dead players".

There is no excuse for the loss to the Chargers, and we should have won in '15 also, but just because we lost a couple of playoff games does not mean it is now impossible for use to win one.  Ken Anderson had zero playoff wins in the first ten years of his career.  If you had been a fan back then you would have ran him out of town with a pitchfork because it was IMPOSSIBLE for him to ever win a playoff game.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2018, 03:12 PM)N_B Wrote: Let’s say each playoff game that the Bengals have played sinceMarvin Lewis became coach represents an independent “draw” (probably not 100% true, but a reasonable assumption). Let’s also say that the Bengals had just a 40% chance to win each of those games.   What do you think the probability is that the Bengals would go winless in those games under those parameters?

If I flip a coin 7 times and it lands on heads each time does that mean it is impossible for it to land on tails the next time?
Reply/Quote

We never win prime time games either....even though we beat BAL in the second game this season.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2018, 03:21 PM)Beaker Wrote: We never win prime time games either....even though we beat BAL in the second game this season.

That was more of a night game on the NFL channel.

But I think he has won a couple or a handful or so of MNF games.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2018, 03:26 PM)Millhouse Wrote: That was more of a night game on the NFL channel.

But I think he has won a couple or a handful or so of MNF games.

So only Sunday and Monday nights count as prime time?
Reply/Quote