Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power Rankings: Bengals Top 5
I know it's mostly meaningless, but I still find power rankings to be a fun read. I guess I'm just excited about our team right now.

Every website has the Bengals in the top 5, with one site going as high as #3. I can't remember the last time I witnessed this.

Below I present a synopsis from each, arranged best to worst.

Yahoo: #3
"Make no mistake, playing at Baltimore against a Ravens team that knew it had to win to realistically remain alive this season, and being down twice in the fourth quarter and still winning ... very impressive."

Bleacher Report: #4
"Green exploded against the Baltimore Ravens when he caught 10 passes for 227 yards and two touchdowns. Both scores came in the final 6:37 of the game. His performance was so good, it overshadowed Steve Smith's 186 receiving yards and two touchdowns for the Ravens. Smith couldn't help but recognize his counterpart after the game for his fine play."

NFL.com: #4
"Big win for Andy Dalton and company. The much-maligned Cincy quarterback hasn't endured as much, well, maligning this season. People are starting to show the Red Rifle some love. Other than a forced red-zone throw to A.J. Green (and who could blame him for doing that?), Dalton was clutch."

CBS: #4
"The Bengals are playing as well as any team in the league right now. Andy Dalton has never been better."

ESPN: #5
"Tyler Eifert exploded in Week 1. Gio Bernard led the way in Week 2. And someone named A.J. Green made his presence felt with a career-high 227 receiving yards in Week 3. Lots of options for Cincy."

Sports Illustrated: #5
"The top three QB ratings in the league right now belong to Aaron Rodgers, Andy Dalton and Tom Brady, in that order. Anyone questioning Dalton's place there either has not watched Cincinnati this season or is waiting for September Dalton to morph into Playoff Dalton. Maybe, just maybe, the fifth-year starter has turned a corner.

FOXsports: #5
"I know -- you want to see Andy Dalton succeed in the postseason before you believe in the Bengals. With the postseason a long way away, all Dalton can do now is continue to dominate the regular season. So far, he has 866 yards passing, a 66.3 completion percentage and eight touchdowns to just one interception."

Thoughts? Opinions?
Reply/Quote
Seen it last year.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
I agree with BPK. Although I am excited about Daltons performance this year, he has had streaks in the past which led bengals fans and sports writers to think he had turned the corner only to implode to an embarassing level of play. I pray this isn't the case and hope he has finally become the qb we hoped he would be but totally understand some fans reservations.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I want to wait and see how they do in these next 4 games. They still have the fire, stay competitive, end up 6-1 or even 5-2 and my belief will rise. Then don't fold in the TNF against the Clowns, I'll be getting more onboard.

Not that I'm not now, just that like many have said we've seen the fast outta the gate before only to bring the same ole bun..... back !
Reply/Quote
People dismiss power rankings, but they secretly check up on it and love reading them.

It's cool to see them regarded as one of the best teams in the league at the moment. I think that national opinion usually jives with how good a team actually is...more often than not, they're right. So, being ranked in the top 5 really shows that this team is as skilled as we all think they are. The real test will be remaining this highly ranked at the end of the season. Being #3 after week 3 doesn't matter much if they're not ranked #1 in February.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2015, 08:53 AM)Bengals_Legendary Wrote: I know it's mostly meaningless, but I still find power rankings to be a fun read. I guess I'm just excited about our team right now.

Every website has the Bengals in the top 5, with one site going as high as #3. I can't remember the last time I witnessed this.

"Make no mistake, playing at Baltimore against a Ravens team that knew it had to win to realistically remain alive this season, and being down twice in the fourth quarter and still winning ... very impressive."

"Green exploded against the Baltimore Ravens when he caught 10 passes for 227 yards and two touchdowns. Both scores came in the final 6:37 of the game. His performance was so good, it overshadowed Steve Smith's 186 receiving yards and two touchdowns for the Ravens. Smith couldn't help but recognize his counterpart after the game for his fine play."  

"Big win for Andy Dalton and company. The much-maligned Cincy quarterback hasn't endured as much, well, maligning this season. People are starting to show the Red Rifle some love. Other than a forced red-zone throw to A.J. Green (and who could blame him for doing that?), Dalton was clutch."

"The Bengals are playing as well as any team in the league right now. Andy Dalton has never been better."

"Tyler Eifert exploded in Week 1. Gio Bernard led the way in Week 2. And someone named A.J. Green made his presence felt with a career-high 227 receiving yards in Week 3. Lots of options for Cincy."

"The top three QB ratings in the league right now belong to Aaron Rodgers, Andy Dalton and Tom Brady, in that order. Anyone questioning Dalton's place there either has not watched Cincinnati this season or is waiting for September Dalton to morph into Playoff Dalton. Maybe, just maybe, the fifth-year starter has turned a corner.

"I know -- you want to see Andy Dalton succeed in the postseason before you believe in the Bengals. With the postseason a long way away, all Dalton can do now is continue to dominate the regular season. So far, he has 866 yards passing, a 66.3 completion percentage and eight touchdowns to just one interception."

Thoughts? Opinions?

same good stuff was being said this time last year when the bengals were also 3-0
Reply/Quote
I am not going to be a Dalton defender just stating fact...There is a big difference in this year's 3-0 start and last year's as far as Dalton is concerned...at least statistically...

55-84...722 yards....2tds...1 int...95 passer rating

61-92...866 yards...8 tds...1 int...121 passer rating

Those numbers are astoundingly different...especially when talking tds....
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2015, 10:18 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I want to wait and see how they do in these next 4 games. They still have the fire, stay competitive, end up 6-1 or even 5-2 and my belief will rise. Then don't fold in the TNF against the Clowns, I'll be getting more onboard.

Not that I'm not now, just that like many have said we've seen the fast outta the gate before only to bring the same ole bun..... back !

This. We have to take care of business against two short-week opponents at home. (5-0) I can understand dropping the Bills or Steelers game (6-1), but we have to dismantle the Browns at home in primetime (7-1) and follow it up by smashing the Texans at home in primetime with a long week (8-1). Anything worse than 7-2 will be a disappointment in my book, and it should honestly be 8-1 with the bye to prepare for Pittsburgh.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2015, 10:55 AM)spazz70 Wrote: I am not going to be a Dalton defender just stating fact...There is a big difference in this year's 3-0 start and last year's as far as Dalton is concerned...at least statistically...

Plus, if you watch the guy play there is a huge difference in his confidence and the way he is reading Defenses' at the line.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2015, 10:55 AM)spazz70 Wrote: I am not going to be a Dalton defender just stating fact...There is a big difference in this year's 3-0 start and last year's as far as Dalton is concerned...at least statistically...

Couldn't agree more. Anyone with eyes can see this years team is playing better then last years team, especially Dalton. Not saying the end result won't be the same or Dalton won't fall back to Earth, but I think this years 3-0 start has been much different.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2015, 12:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Plus, if you watch the guy play there is a huge difference in his confidence and the way he is reading Defenses' at the line.

I agree 100%. I know it is early in the season, and Dalton has had some really good streaks only to have some really bad ones too. BUT.....Dalton looks very different this year. He is not throwing too high anymore. His ball is spiraling 90% of the time. He looks way more accurate. He is showing good touch. AND his confidence is totally showing with his whole demeanor on the field. What I saw last Sunday, was definitely his most impressive game I've seen. He was being a true leader. I really cannot say enough how much I really love this Andy Dalton. And yes, in the past, I have been a Dalton hater.

Last year, I even said he would not keep up his good play after the first few games. This year, I think he finally turns the corner. I don't think he will have a 100+ rating by the end of the season, but I think we are gonna watch an Andy Dalton that is more consistent and more of a fiery leader. And I am gonna have a lot of crow to be eating. Tongue
Reply/Quote
All I care about is being #1 in February
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2015, 12:13 PM)Ryuko Wrote: This. We have to take care of business against two short-week opponents at home. (5-0) I can understand dropping the Bills or Steelers game (6-1), but we have to dismantle the Browns at home in primetime (7-1) and follow it up by smashing the Texans at home in primetime with a long week (8-1). Anything worse than 7-2 will be a disappointment in my book, and it should honestly be 8-1 with the bye to prepare for Pittsburgh.

If the Bengals are 8-1 heading into the second Pittsburgh game, then you can consider them the best team in the league.  I definitely won't say that I "expect" that from them.  I think they're talented enough to do it, most definitely, but even great teams lose a few games.  I'd be extremely happy with 7-2, especially with the Chiefs, Seahawks, Bills, and Steelers coming up.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2015, 03:39 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: If the Bengals are 8-1 heading into the second Pittsburgh game, then you can consider them the best team in the league.  I definitely won't say that I "expect" that from them.  I think they're talented enough to do it, most definitely, but even great teams lose a few games.  I'd be extremely happy with 7-2, especially with the Chiefs, Seahawks, Bills, and Steelers coming up.

For real......even 6-3 wouldn't be that bad for running that gauntlet....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
This is not your 2014 Father Time's 3-0 Cincinnati Bengals. This team looks different this year. And there is no doubt in my mind this is your soon to be 2015 4-0 Cincinnati Bengals. Beyond that, well, we'll just take it one game at a time, but things look really good so far!
[Image: d1id.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2015, 03:39 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: If the Bengals are 8-1 heading into the second Pittsburgh game, then you can consider them the best team in the league.  I definitely won't say that I "expect" that from them.  I think they're talented enough to do it, most definitely, but even great teams lose a few games.  I'd be extremely happy with 7-2, especially with the Chiefs, Seahawks, Bills, and Steelers coming up.

(10-01-2015, 03:41 PM)Wyche Wrote: For real......even 6-3 wouldn't be that bad for running that gauntlet....

Good teams win the games they're supposed to win. You read "Chiefs, Seahawks, Bills, and Steelers". I read "home vs 1-2 off a Monday night, home vs 1-2 off a Monday night, Bills, 2-2 vs a backup QB... we have the bye to prepare". 

Does that look like a gauntlet to you? The road game against the Bills is the only game where we don't have a serious advantage. Take the history out of it, these teams look like shadows of their former selves. If 6-3 is all you're hoping for, we aren't as good as people think.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2015, 08:53 AM)Bengals_Legendary Wrote: I know it's mostly meaningless, but I still find power rankings to be a fun read. I guess I'm just excited about our team right now.

Thoughts? Opinions?
You know what?  It's okay to be excited about your team.  Some people will come by and tell you all the reasons why you shouldn't but if it's not okay to get excited about a good team playing well, then what the hell is the point of it all?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 10:27 AM)Ryuko Wrote: Good teams win the games they're supposed to win. You read "Chiefs, Seahawks, Bills, and Steelers". I read "home vs 1-2 off a Monday night, home vs 1-2 off a Monday night, Bills, 2-2 vs a backup QB... we have the bye to prepare". 

Does that look like a gauntlet to you? The road game against the Bills is the only game where we don't have a serious advantage. Take the history out of it, these teams look like shadows of their former selves. If 6-3 is all you're hoping for, we aren't as good as people think.

We would likely still be considered one of the better teams in the league with a record like 6-3.

Seattle's defense looks excellent and their offense is nothing to write off. The Steelers are never an easy W. The Bills are playing some great football this year. The Chiefs could be surprising but they're the 1 team that I do feel we should definitely stomp in this stretch.

With the way our schedule is set up, this year could look very streaky. Win 4 straight, lose 3 straight, go off on another few wins. It's not unrealistic that we lose 3 straight at some point but are still a very good team.
Reply/Quote
I think in one of the rare instances national perception aligns with us Bengal fans. We're playing well and are definitely a good team but there are still question marks that won't be answered until we hit the prime time games and/or playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 11:27 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I think in one of the rare instances national perception aligns with us Bengal fans. We're playing well and are definitely a good team but there are still question marks that won't be answered until we hit the prime time games and/or playoffs.

I just don't understand how there are still some people that see what the team is doing right now but still have the "oh **** it, we're just going to lose in primetime and the playoffs anyway!" attitude, instead of enjoying the ride.

I don't have an issue with people being cautiously optimistic going into these games (I'm in that boat myself), but some people seem downright mad preemptively even though we're playing like the 3rd-5th best team in the NFL right now.
Reply/Quote