Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power rankings this preseason
Ok, let me start off by saying preseason power rankings are meaningless. So just for discussion:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-preseason-power-rankings-how-s-your-team-looking-for-2023/ss-AA1dRzhB?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=602641ededb84b78a4bdbd1eba75d8a5&ei=6#image=28

The top 12:

1. Chiefs - can't really argue that much

2. Eagles - can the magic return for Hurts? The guy started out looking like he had bust written all over him. He really turned it around last year.

3. Bengals - I believe we're 2 but I'll not ***** to much with #3

4. 49ers - QB room is a hot mess! I'm not sure I believe in Purdy yet? Darnold well ummm. And Tre Lance is a giant ??? But I still think they're a top team.

5. Bills - I believe the Bills dominance is now heading into it's downhill run but they're still gonna make some noise so...

6. Ravens - I just don't trust LJ that much. His passing stats after 2019 (which didn't blow anybody away) are just very pedestrian, to be nice. I'm just not convinced they're the 3rd best AFC team?

7. Cowboys - I can see the boys in the mix this year. Like almost always I think they'll get bounced early.

8. Chargers - depending on how Broncos recover with Payton now at the helm I can see them making waves.

9. Seahawks - umm I just can't get onboard with Geno Smith pulling another rabbit out of his hat.

10. Lions - finished strong last season, I can see them in the mix again.

11. Dolphins - can Tua stay healthy? not a lot of faith there for me.

12. Jaguars - they may be higher then this?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don’t have much contention with the top 5. Philly’s OL and DL put them ahead of us for me. I like the top 5. The Ravens are too high because Lamar will run less this year which is good and bad. I like Monken as OC. Until Lamar can stay healthy I think that’s high. I think the Dolphins should be a few spots higher and I like the Jets to crack the top 10.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
I would have us at #2 as well and I would have the Lions and Jaguars much higher. I think these are two up and coming teams
that could make some serious noise this year. Young and fearless, I like these teams and Lawrence and those Jags shown they
can play with the big boys in the big games when they played the Chiefs in the Playoffs tough.

Hard for me not to root for the Lions, they have had it rough for a long damn time.
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2023, 02:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I would have us at #2 as well and I would have the Lions and Jaguars much higher. I think these are two up and coming teams
that could make some serious noise this year. Young and fearless, I like these teams and Lawrence and those Jags shown they
can play with the big boys in the big games when they played the Chiefs in the Playoffs tough.

Hard for me not to root for the Lions, they have had it rough for a long damn time.

I've always found it ? Ironic that the Bengals and Lions have been mirror image franchises more often than not. And the Lions started in Portsmouth, Ohio way back when.
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2023, 02:16 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I've always found it ? Ironic that the Bengals and Lions have been mirror image franchises more often than not. And the Lions started in Portsmouth, Ohio way back when.

Didn't know that the Lions started in Ohio, wild. But yeah, would be pretty fantastic to see both these teams in the Super Bowl. Rock On
Reply/Quote
This power rankings is brought to you by a 25 person media company based out of Spain with a whopping revenue of less than 1M/year.

Peak offseason content lol

Can't say i disagree with the rankings though.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
Idk, I feel like the Jaguars and the Dolphins could be swapped as needed, and the Jags could be possibly higher
[Image: VYOA6ZFCJ5HNFA3XPZIIQKMJZE.jpg]
Reply/Quote
The reason I didn't even mention the Fins is I think Tua is one concussion away from his career being over.
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2023, 02:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Didn't know that the Lions started in Ohio, wild. But yeah, would be pretty fantastic to see both these teams in the Super Bowl. Rock On

Fun fact: the Rams started in Cleveland 
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2023, 05:11 PM)WildfireMicro Wrote: Fun fact: the Rams started in Cleveland 

Didn't know that either, crazy.
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2023, 05:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Didn't know that either, crazy.

Just don't let Browns fans know.

Then again, if they tried to claim the LA Rams Superbowl because they used to be in Cleveland, they would probably have to try to claim the Ravens Superbowls and I think they just can't do that
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2023, 05:11 PM)WildfireMicro Wrote: Fun fact: the Rams started in Cleveland 

I never knew that one, thanks for sharing. A lot of fun NFL trivia like this. Someone mentioned the Lions in Ohio already. Our Cincinnati Bengals are the third professional team to be based in Cincinnati and they have all shared the name "Bengals". The name came from a brand of ovens that is in the original founders kitchen. Pretty cool to go through the history. 
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2023, 05:24 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I never knew that one, thanks for sharing. A lot of fun NFL trivia like this. Someone mentioned the Lions in Ohio already. Our Cincinnati Bengals are the third professional team to be based in Cincinnati and they have all shared the name "Bengals". The name came from a brand of ovens that is in the original founders kitchen. Pretty cool to go through the history. 
There was a team in Louisville called the Louisville Breckenridges. I have a lot of trivia like this, but not all is NFL related 
Reply/Quote
Every offseason (late June/early July) I pick up a magazine. I see myself as a modern dude but I like ol' school football previews. It's become an annual tradition for me, I've been doing it since the mid-90's. Either Athlon or Lindy's... I go back and forth between those two since the others are mostly out of print.

Anyway, this year I showed up at my fav newsstand lol and, at first glance, it seemed the Lindy's had my name on it. Better smell, better paper, compelling features, better quality overall- albeit with one problem. They picked BAL to win the AFCN. Bias aside, I'm objectively at the point where I can no longer respect any outlet that says that, as evidenced by how every "Power Ranking" I've seen has us higher than the Ravens. it might happen- don't get me wrong, anything can happen- but on what basis could you predict that they'll supplant us? It's an irrational expectation.

So, naturally, I bought the Athlon. The shoe's on the other foot now and it feels good. Wink
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2023, 05:30 PM)tms Wrote: Every offseason (late June/early July) I pick up a magazine. I see myself as a modern dude but I like ol' school football previews. It's become an annual tradition for me, I've been doing it since the mid-90's. Either Athlon or Lindy's... I go back and forth between those two since the others are mostly out of print.

Anyway, this year I showed up at my fav newsstand lol and, at first glance, it seemed the Lindy's had my name on it. Better smell, better paper, compelling features, better quality overall- albeit with one problem. They picked BAL to win the AFCN. Bias aside, I'm objectively at the point where I can no longer respect any outlet that says that, as evidenced by how every "Power Ranking" I've seen has us higher than the Ravens.

So, naturally, I bought the Athlon. The shoe's on the other foot now and it feels good. Wink
Yeah the moment Lamar goes down, they are screwed 
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2023, 05:24 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I never knew that one, thanks for sharing. A lot of fun NFL trivia like this. Someone mentioned the Lions in Ohio already. Our Cincinnati Bengals are the third professional team to be based in Cincinnati and they have all shared the name "Bengals". The name came from a brand of ovens that is in the original founders kitchen. Pretty cool to go through the history. 

Yep Portsmouth, Ohio Spartans. Spartan Municipal Stadium is still there. They've tried to get the NFL to take it over a couple times. They were there like 1932-35 or something? One of those old big NFL names was there, forget his name?

Also there were the Ironton, Ohio Tanks around the same time? Don't think they went on to be anybody else though? Coy Bacon of 70's Bengals fame played for the Ironton tigers in H.S. at you guessed it Tanks stadium.
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2023, 05:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The reason I didn't even mention the Fins is I think Tua is one concussion away from his career being over.

Disclaimer: I'm no doctor so don't jump all over me, haha

But It's my understanding that once you have multiple concussions like that the next one is even easier to get. And so on down the line. I hate it for the guy but I'd guess he's not going to have a long career. 
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2023, 05:34 PM)WildfireMicro Wrote: Yeah the moment Lamar goes down, they are screwed 

Yup

Don't get me wrong the Ravens are a good team and will win a bunch of games. I just doubt Lamars ability to come back on and or score with high flying teams in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2023, 05:46 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yup

Don't get me wrong the Ravens are a good team and will win a bunch of games. I just doubt Lamars ability to come back on and or score with high flying teams in the playoffs.
Lamar has not proved himself in the playoffs at all. I think he's won like one playoff game
Reply/Quote
I'm still not of the belief Hurtz is an elite throwing QB, not that he necessarily needs to be. He's an adequate thrower but an absolutely elite rushing QB spearheading a ridiculous running attack for the Eagles. I do wonder though if injuries take a toll on him down the road like Lamar Jackson and Cam Newton.
Reply/Quote