Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Pratt 3rd Downs
(12-13-2022, 01:45 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Tbf he has been doing his job. And he’s made a hell of a lot more than “a few plays.”

He’s been one of the best defensive players in the league the last month or so.

*sigh*

PFF

Let's seeeeee. I remember Spain getting great PFF grades with he, his agent and PFF fans thinking he's worth a shit. I remember his little tear emoji when he didn't get mentioned for the Pro Bowl because he and his agent bought into his PFF grades. Kind of odd that a guy with that high of a grade be without a job the next season.

I'm not saying that Pratt will be without a job next season, I'm just saying that PFF often inflates a players ability.

Week 9 Carolina on their third QB
Bye Week
Week 11 DJ Reader comes back against Pittsburgh
Do I really need to write anything more as to what sparked his great play?

I mentioned in another thread that he's playing his way off of this team. I don't think that they saw his progress coming and didn't figure that he'd be a difficult re-sign. They planned for Bates to walk, doesn't look like they expected this potential headache.

(12-13-2022, 09:25 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Hell no. We’re 5-0 since I starting using it. Plus, it’s glorious.
Yeah, I remember Joe Burrow saying that he couldn't get the timing right with the receivers until this pic whored up the board. 
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 04:42 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Yeah, I remember Joe Burrow saying that he couldn't get the timing right with the receivers until this pic whored up the board. 

You weren’t hugged enough as a child were you?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 06:31 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote:

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Pratt is playing both sides of the equation here....

Best bet is this dies out and fizzles until the off-season.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 07:19 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Pratt is playing both sides of the equation here....

Best bet is this dies out and fizzles until the off-season.

The way he's playing right now I want him back bad.  Dude is playing at an elite level last 5 weeks.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
Germaine will be paid big by another team, I think he is just sad he cannot stay here and win a ton of Playoff games and Superbowls.

We all are sad about that. We cannot keep everybody. Just hope Playoff P goes to an NFC team and not in our Division.

He is balling out right now.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 03:06 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Pretty much.

It sucks we will probably lose both Pratt and Tee in the next couple years, but Chase and Logan are obviously the priorities at those positions.

I'm not counting out us re-signing Tee. The Bengals were willing to hand out big money to Marvin Jones, Mike Brown mentioned that the naming rights deal would help us focus on re-signing our WRs, and the cap is about to go up with the new TV deal coming up. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2022, 01:39 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I'm not counting out us re-signing Tee. The Bengals were willing to hand out big money to Marvin Jones, Mike Brown mentioned that the naming rights deal would help us focus on re-signing our WRs, and the cap is about to go up with the new TV deal coming up. 

Agreed. If we let any of the WR's go, it will most likely be Boyd. I really think we probably let Bates walk, along with Mixon, and keep all 3 WR's. The cap is going up and it's not like they can choose not to spend the money. 
Reply/Quote
I can see a team like the Lions who are a couple
Players on defense away from being a legit playoff team,
Signing Pratt and Bates in free agency.
Easier to replace a player like Pratt then it is Higgins
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2022, 10:46 AM)impactplaya Wrote: I can see a team like the Lions who are a couple
Players on defense away from being a legit playoff team,
Signing Pratt and Bates in free agency.
Easier to replace a player like Pratt then it is Higgins

I think the high-priced guys the team will try to move off of soonest are Bates (after this year, Hill takes that spot), Mixon (after next year, Perine or drafted RB),and Jonah (after next year). Landing a LT to replace Jonah is going to be tough, given our likely draft position. There is a dropoff after Jones at OT. There are some Rd2/RT types (Mauch, Wright), but those may be Collins replacements. 

FAs by year: 
2023: Bell, Pratt, Hurst, Apple, Perine 
2024: Burrow (5th year option), Higgins, Boyd, Mixon (club option on $13.1 mil, $2.75 dead cap), Jonah, Reader, L. Wilson, Awuzie. 

2024. Cappa makes $9.25 with a $4.5 mil dead cap number, he is going nowhere. Collins makes $8.66 with $1.66 in dead cap, Karras $7.4 and $1.0 dead. BJ Hill $10.8 and $3.3 dead. Hilton $7.45 mil, $1.0 mil dead. 

While I understand wanting to lock extensions in before the cap goes up, I do not know if boosting Burrow's cap number by $30 mil before we have to, with a SB window open, is such a good idea. 

For 2024, I think you have to pay Reader. He is such a huge difference maker. But he is already making $15 mil, so it is not that much of a leap. Wilson and Higgins are close to must pays, in my view.  However, top notch prospects at DT, WR, and LB van routinely be had late 1st, 2nd (Higgins),or even 3rd (Wilson himself). 

We have to pay Burrow & Chase, period. Hendrickson is locked up for a while & worth every penny. Ditto Hubbard. Cappa is playing well and his dead cap number makes no sense to cut him until at least 2025. 

But for everyone else? We gotta be looking for possible replacements in the draft, pronto. I *think* Reader is must pay, but I'd still take a hard look at Ika from Baylor late in Rd1 if the CBs/OTs are all gone. And Hill has been good, but $10 mil good? And Carter not so hot. 3Tech is not a problem per se, & I don't think we give up on Carter. But neithe he nor Hill are so good I get off a studley DT prospect in the draft. I *think* Higgins is must pay, and I like Irwin & Taylor, but we have a need for (non-Chase) speed and Boyd is up soon as well.  An exciting WR in Rd 1 or 2 has to be looked at. Starting next year, both OTs look to be slightly more expensive than their play would mandate. If we see good value in OT in any round, we got to take it. Not to mention a cheaper Mixon replacement at RB. 

So, DT, WR, OT, and RB could all use a starter level guy soon to replace more expensive yet productive guys we have now. 

And if we loose Bates, Bell, Pratt, Hurst, Apple, or Perine, you could add S, LB, TE, CB, and RB2 to the list. I think we need another TE regardless of Hurst's status. More CBs and pass rushers are always welcome, and S is gonna be thinner (though I think we are drafting a reserve, there). 
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2022, 03:05 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Cappa is playing well and his dead cap number makes no sense to cut him until at least 2025. 

he's the best lineman on the team
Reply/Quote
Of our prime FAs, I hope to retain 2 of 3 of my projected starters (Bell, Pratt, Hurst) and 1 of the reserves (Apple & Perine). I'd live to go 5/5 or 4/5, but that may be unrealistic, evven with $$29 mil in space (we won't use all of it).

1) Bell. I do not want to lose both starting S's this year. We have Hill in our pocket to step in for Bates, and we traded up for Anderson last year. But I do not think Tycen should be starting for a team with SB aspirations, nor another rookie, even a top S prospect we could be in a position to take (Branch, Johnson). Plus, I am hoping to use that 1st rounder on a more impactful position (CB, DE, OT, or a stud TE/WR/RB prospect falling) or one where the pick saves me money soon (LT, RB, WR, DT).

I don't think Bell should break the bank, but he won't be cheap, either. He's already had 1 FA contract, so he may not be yearning for the bag like some others.

2) Pratt. While LB is one of the spots I like our depth best (ADG, Bailey), Pratt has been off the charts since the POs last year. He is a former S with good coverage skills. Rd1 seems a reach for the top LB prospects, and they will likely be gone by Rd 2. I worry that he is playing do well he is gonna want big money. What happens with Bell (or the others) may give me some more rope here.

3) Hurst. I like Hurst, but we don't feature the TE in this offense. There are some good TE prospects we should be able to land in Rds 2-4 even if Mayer is gone. A reasonable 2-3 year deal for Hurst at $5-$7 mil is as high as I'd go. Hopefully, he gives us a bit of a discount for finding a home.

4) Apple. If CTB looks like he claims that one corner spot, then Apple is a backup. No backups on our current roster make more than $3 mil, and precious few $2 mil. Chido coming off injury worries me some, and Flowers is also a FA. And while I think CB in Rd1 is most likely, all 6 guys could be gone. I do not think the market will be that high. Another $3-$4 mil deal would be fantastic.

5) Perine. I love Perine, but I think he gets squeezed. Mixon is on the books for another year. His dead cap # is $5.5 mil next year, so we'd only save $7 mil by trading him. And I think a high draft pick (Rd 1 -2) on a rookie deal will be itcwhen the time comes. Plus, we can re-sign Trayveon for cheaper and Evans is on the books, and I like both players. $2-$3 mil, max. Though I'd love to have him as a dependable backup to Mixon then new RB1 for years to come.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2022, 03:15 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: he's the best lineman on the team

Him and Ted, yeah.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2022, 03:05 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I think the high-priced guys the team will try to move off of soonest are Bates (after this year, Hill takes that spot), Mixon (after next year, Perine or drafted RB),and Jonah (after next year). Landing a LT to replace Jonah is going to be tough, given our likely draft position. There is a dropoff after Jones at OT. There are some Rd2/RT types (Mauch, Wright), but those may be Collins replacements. 

Hill takes that spot?  What spot?  He's not ready to start, heck he ain't even learned how to play special teams without drawing blocking in the back penalties.  When they have had him out there in rotation, he's looked really shaky from what I've observed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2022, 03:15 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: he's the best lineman on the team

Maybe. 

Williams has graded out better in previous years an played through a nasty injury this. Karras has been excellent lately. Collins is mauling people in the run game, but has struggled at times poss blocking. And Volson is improving. 

This year, I'd pick Cappa or Karras. But Volson's trajectory coukd catch both. I think OT is shakier than the interior at the moment, and that feels weird to say, given recent history. 
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2022, 03:05 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: While I understand wanting to lock extensions in before the cap goes up, I do not know if boosting Burrow's cap number by $30 mil before we have to, with a SB window open, is such a good idea. 

In the modern NFL, once a franchise QB is first available to get a contract extension, you have to give him one or you're showing you have zero commitment to that player and are likely going to move on from them. Look at starting QBs drafted the previous 5 years when they became eligible for an extension with their team...

Extension After Year 3:
Patrick Mahomes
Josh Allen
Deshaun Watson
Kyler Murray

No Extension After Year 3:
Mitchell Trubisky
Baker Mayfield
Sam Darnold
Lamar Jackson
Daniel Jones

...so next offseason Burrow needs to get an extension. Cap rising or not, you can't treat your franchise QB as a lesser of other franchise QBs and expect good things. You can be pretty positive that Herbert, Hurts, and Tua are all getting extensions this offseason. That'd make the situation even worse than Lamar's with Baltimore, even more so because Burrow showed he can actually win in the playoffs.

Same thing happening with Higgins and the WR position. Marquise Brown, Deebo, AJ Brown, Metcalf, and Renfrow all got extensions this offseason after their 3rd year. It's a matter of optics, commitment, and getting paid. It's why I think there's a decent-ish chance that Higgins gets traded this offseason, the go-to move right now is for a big time player to hold-in without a contract extension, hoping for one or for a trade to get one elsewhere. It's why we saw Devante, Tyreek, and AJ Brown all get traded. Going to be hard though to pay Higgins when Burrow is going to get a mountain of money this coming offseason and then the next offseason you're going to need to back up a brink trucks to Chase.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2022, 03:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Him and Ted, yeah.

Cappa is undoubtedly 1, Karras is 2
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2022, 04:34 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: In the modern NFL, once a franchise QB is first available to get a contract extension, you have to give him one or you're showing you have zero commitment to that player

...so next offseason Burrow needs to get an extension.

no, you dont need to
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2022, 04:46 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: no, you dont need to

Sure, then you just need to tell Burrow that he should keep putting his body on the line without any long term security because he's not worth it like Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Hurts, Tua, Watson, and Murray. It'll do wonders for the relationship, I am sure.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote