Poll: How many yards does Drew Sample end up with in 2021?
0-149
150-299
300-399
400-499
500 or more
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Predict Drew Sample's Receiving Total for 2021
Pretty simple question:  How many yards does Drew Sample end up with in 2021?

Positives to consider:  1.) We should have an improved OL, which may limit his need to stay in and block.  2.) Replacing AJ with Chase should open up more work underneath as defenses will have to pay more attention to being beaten over the top.  3.) Is now going into his 3rd year with a near full season of starting experience.  4.)  *Knock on wood*  Will hopefully have Joe Burrow for more than 9.5 games, who also has a year of experience under his belt, and should improve.

Negatives to consider:  1.) With CJ Uzomah returning it may relegate to Sample to being a complete afterthought in the pass game.

Just for reference:  Sample's receiving totals in years 1 and 2 were 30 yards, and 349 and yards, in case you were looking to work off of these.

Just for fun:  I'm going to bump this thread at season's end.  We should all agree to rep whatever members predicted the correct option in the poll (the poll will be public so we can see who was right).
Reply/Quote
With CJ back in the mix and the addition of Chase
There isnt really a reason to target Sample unless a 12
Personel inside the red zone. Would not be surprised
If Moss makes the roster and he could make a push
For the #2 TE by years end.
I think.Samples contribution.this year will be in the
Running game where he can clearout LBers.
Hes very limited in what he can do as far as routes.
ZT and JB want more explosive plays downfield
Well thats means Sample is not running deep seam routes
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 10:50 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Just for fun:  I'm going to bump this thread at season's end.  We should all agree to rep whatever members predicted the correct option in the poll (the poll will be public so we can see who was right).

You really think anyone will predict big numbers for Sample with Uzo healthy?
Reply/Quote
This board is soooo obsessed with Sample who is such an unintriguing player to discuss. He sucks, we get it!
Reply/Quote
The spread of the poll is not very good, so I won't be participating.

2 answers have a 150 yard spread, 2 have a 100 yard spread, and one has an infinite amount.

This means anyone can select 500+ and be right without coming close to the minimum of 3200 yards he will catch with Chase drawing coverage from him Cool

Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 11:48 AM)fredtoast Wrote:  You really think anyone will predict big numbers for Sample with Uzo healthy?

I think it's pretty obvious from the choices I listed that no, I do not think anyone will predict big numbers for Sample.  If I did I would've listed out  more detailed options like 500-599, 600-699, 700+....

500+ is not a "big" number for a Tight End and that's the highest option, but it is available for those that think he exceeds it.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 11:54 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: This board is soooo obsessed with Sample who is such an unintriguing player to discuss. He sucks, we get it!

It's early June, on a boring Sunday morning.  Not a lot to talk about.  With the Drew Sample talk going on in the other thread I figured I'd start a poll just to see where people think he finishes this year.

Would you like me to start another thread about the rookies signing their slotted contracts, which never result in holdouts anymore and pretend to be excited?  How about a thread on what Joe Burrow ate for lunch yesterday?  Not really sure what you consider threadworthy at this point but I'll be sure to check with you in advance next time.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 11:59 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I think it's pretty obvious from the choices I listed that no, I do not think anyone will predict big numbers for Sample.  If I did I would've listed out  more detailed options like 500-599, 600-699, 700+....

500+ is not a "big" number for a Tight End and that's the highest option, but it is available for those that think he exceeds it.

Your obsession with our #2 TE is getting kind of creepy.

I can see you fantasizing about bumping this thread at the end of the season to gloat about predicting Sample would have less than 150 receiving yards when he ends up with 160.
Reply/Quote
I'd say Chase, Higgins, Boyd, and Uzo all have more receiving yards than Sample. I think Evans might sneak in and also have more receiving yards.
Reply/Quote
17 games x 25 yards = 425 yards. Seems pretty easy to do
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 12:04 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: It's early June, on a boring Sunday morning.  Not a lot to talk about.  With the Drew Sample talk going on in the other thread I figured I'd start a poll just to see where people think he finishes this year.

Would you like me to start another thread about the rookies signing their slotted contracts, which never result in holdouts anymore and pretend to be excited?  How about a thread on what Joe Burrow ate for lunch yesterday?  Not really sure what you consider threadworthy at this point but I'll be sure to check with you in advance next time.

Please private message me before making your next thread. Your Drew Sample obsession has gone too far.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 12:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Your obsession with our #2 TE is getting kind of creepy.

So, let me get this straight; 4 pages in another thread about Sample, which you yourself participated in, is NOT creepy?  Starting a poll on the heels of said thread, just to put numbers to those opinions, is creepy?  It wasn't obsession when you gladly posted numerous times about him but it is an obsession when I do?
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 12:19 PM)bonesaw Wrote: 17 games x 25 yards = 425 yards.  Seems pretty easy to do

Maybe harder than you think.

If Uzo is healthy Sample will be our #2 TE.  Last year only 22 #1 TEs in the league had 425 receiving yards.

One of the biggest misconceptions on this board right now is that every NFL team has a TE putting up big receiving numbers.  In 2018 when Uzomah had 439 receiving yards that was better than the #1 TE on 14 other NFL teams.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 12:16 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'd say Chase, Higgins, Boyd, and Uzo all have more receiving yards than Sample. I think Evans might sneak in and also have more receiving yards.

I think Mixon's all but guaranteed to finish ahead of him in receiving yards.  I think he'll post a career high this year if he stays healthy, and could see him fall somewhere in the 400-600 range.

If Tate or Thomas firmly establishes themselves as the 4th WR then I think they'd have a good chance as well.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 12:27 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: So, let me get this straight; 4 pages in another thread about Sample, which you yourself participated in, is NOT creepy?  Starting a poll on the heels of said thread, just to put numbers to those opinions, is creepy?  It wasn't obsession when you gladly posted numerous times about him but it is an obsession when I do?

Drew Sample is a Bum (thebengalsboard.com)
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 10:50 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Pretty simple question:  How many yards does Drew Sample end up with in 2021?

Positives to consider:  1.) We should have an improved OL, which may limit his need to stay in and block.  2.) Replacing AJ with Chase should open up more work underneath as defenses will have to pay more attention to being beaten over the top.  3.) Is now going into his 3rd year with a near full season of starting experience.  4.)  *Knock on wood*  Will hopefully have Joe Burrow for more than 9.5 games, who also has a year of experience under his belt, and should improve.

Negatives to consider:  1.) With CJ Uzomah returning it may relegate to Sample to being a complete afterthought in the pass game.

Just for reference:  Sample's receiving totals in years 1 and 2 were 30 yards, and 349 and yards, in case you were looking to work off of these.

Just for fun:  I'm going to bump this thread at season's end.  We should all agree to rep whatever members predicted the correct option in the poll (the poll will be public so we can see who was right).

I went with 400-499.  I don't see him getting fewer targets just because CJ is healthy.  I think the Bengals will run more 12 personnel than everyone thinks, and it isn't about who the better receiver is, but more about the matchups.  I think Sample is a solid, reliable target, and Burrow is the mater distributing point guard that will attack every inch of the defense.  He isn't a Travis Kelce or even a CJ Uzomah, but he is better than most on here give him credit for and I think Burrow will like having a reliable target like Sample out there.  
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 12:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Drew Sample is a Bum (thebengalsboard.com)

Was that the thread where you got caugh lying about watching all the games, only having to later admit that you listen to them on ESPN Radio?
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 12:41 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Was that the thread where you got caugh lying about watching all the games, only having to later admit that you listen to them on ESPN Radio?

I claimed I had watched about half of the games when in fact I had only watched 2 of 10 live and listened to the rest of them.  So I lied about watching three games.

Now I could jump you for lying about me claiming to watch "all the games" but why bother?
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 12:30 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I think Mixon's all but guaranteed to finish ahead of him in receiving yards.  I think he'll post a career high this year if he stays healthy, and could see him fall somewhere in the 400-600 range.

If Tate or Thomas firmly establishes themselves as the 4th WR then I think they'd have a good chance as well.

True, I forgot about Mixon. Hints in articles and interviews have talked about how Evans is learning the playbook quickly, has good hands, and can line up as a WR. I think he takes on a hybrid third down RB & fourth WR type of roll. Of course, he's a sixth round pick so there is also the possibility he doesn't contribute anything to the team. 
Reply/Quote
Kind of OT, but I would not be surprised if our #4 WR is not even on the roster right now.

I still think we may sign a veteran released from another team.
Reply/Quote