Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Predictable plays from formations
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
They were way to vanilla/predictable Sunday. ZT and BC gotta step it up playcalling.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 05:33 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

haha.. forget predictable, Collins was half step slow off the ball, Watts is a uphill DE.. that is his style, the first game of the year im not sure any team is going to know tendency, for example we played 5 empty never did that last year... in the end their defense made plays way more than our offense... but if you buy the predict part, i guess i will buy that Joe did not audible much at all during the game to get us out of it which he has total control to do. 
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
This is what concerns me honestly. Love how our team fights under Zac and Lou but the play calling is still so
predictable and the Defense knows what is coming. This has to be fixed and it isn't hard to fix. Just get a little
unpredictable and do things different from time to time. being unpredictable works as we saw with the Chase
catch when Burrow was under Center using play-action.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2022, 03:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This is what concerns me honestly. Love how our team fights under Zac and Lou but the play calling is still so
predictable and the Defense knows what is coming. This has to be fixed and it isn't hard to fix. Just get a little
unpredictable and do things different from time to time. being unpredictable works as we saw with the Chase
catch when Burrow was under Center using play-action.

Agree with you and, to be honest, that video was the weakest play-action I've ever seen. Ball wasn't even tucked close into the RB. Nobody is asking JB to run play-action like Boomer did as he ran play-action as well as anybody in the history of the game. He had the entire D bite and then he'd throw that deep post to Eddie Brown or Tim McGee.

Would love to see those 1-2 step drops and quick hitters to the WR's for a minimum of 6-7 yards most times before they get hit and alot of times for even more if the DB misses a stop.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 05:44 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: They were way to vanilla/predictable Sunday. ZT and BC gotta step it up playcalling.

Practicing plays in training camp is not the same as executing them at full speed against an opponent in preseason. I am still completely mystified why Zac Taylor chose to not play the starters at all during preseason, especially with an offensive line which is 80% new. Usually new personnel get a chance to gel in preseason.

Against Pissburgh I saw competent blocking from all five members of the offensive line, including some occasionally good run blocks from Cordell Volson, but these were individual efforts. Alex Cappa and Ted Karras blocked well in and of themselves but the best offensive lines block as a team, not as individuals.

It will be up to Frank Pollack to fix this and now that he has the talent to put together the process should be straightforward. On run blocks the steps have to be coordinated, for example, and on pass blocks it takes an entire offensive line to create a pocket.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 05:44 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: They were way to vanilla/predictable Sunday. ZT and BC gotta step it up playcalling.

And Joe Burrow. Don't forget Joe Burrow audiles and changes plays all the time. As much as I love JB, he's not immune from criticizing if he happens to audible into a run play that gets stuffed at the LoS, for example.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
It's not "playcalling" its the playbook. It's like they are running 2 completely separate offensives for the run and pass. From the wide zone offense they are missing alot of TE playaction routes, boots, and mesh concepts. From the Spead pass they are missing a ton of motions, screens, RPOs and sweeps.

I said last year the run offense and pass offense se werent married together and if week 1 is any indication it's the same.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Imagine a world where the Bengals ran and passed out of the same formation? It would be a world where defenses cant key on the formation to give the play away. Imagine...
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2022, 04:57 PM)Joelist Wrote: Imagine a world where the Bengals ran and passed out of the same formation? It would be a world where defenses cant key on the formation to give the play away. Imagine...

That’s the way Jay Gruden and Hue Jackson designed the Bengals’ offense to work during the 2011-2015 playoff appearance run. I’m not saying bring either one back but I think Brian Callahan needs to consider this seriously.
Reply/Quote
After thinking about the playcall for a second i am very upset.

In the game thread i was multiple times we needed to actually give the ball to Chase on some of those jet sweeps and we needed to run play action because the Steelers were basically pinning their ears back rushing us.

I do not recall play calling being such an issue last year. The play calling imo last year was way too pass heavy but i at least thought the plays had variety and weren’t BAD.

Sunday the plays were BAD. Those shitty tosses, the lack of variety, the lack of going downfield it was all bad. If this is how the year is gonna go then i am not looking forward to what will happen if Mixon, and Boyd or Tee aren’t here.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
As Zac Taylor said, this was the the first game of the season. So they didn't have all offseason to prepare to be unpredictable in playcalling.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2022, 03:39 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Agree with you and, to be honest, that video was the weakest play-action I've ever seen. Ball wasn't even tucked close into the RB. Nobody is asking JB to run play-action like Boomer did as he ran play-action as well as anybody in the history of the game. He had the entire D bite and then he'd throw that deep post to Eddie Brown or Tim McGee.

Would love to see those 1-2 step drops and quick hitters to the WR's for a minimum of 6-7 yards most times before they get hit and alot of times for even more if the DB misses a stop.

Would be awesome if Boomer took a little time to show Joe how to do play-action well. Could only help from the guy 
that was the best at it. He would literally fake out the camera let alone make the entire D bite. Also true on the 1-2 step
drops and quick underneath passes, this needs to be in the playbook and the tosses and deep passes in the middle need
to be cast aside until the O-line has gained a touch of chemistry.

We would of easily won on Sunday if we just changed things up a touch cause we wouldn't of been turning the ball over.

The coaches are setting us up to fail if they keep this up. Ignorant/unknowing self sabotage.

(09-14-2022, 04:51 PM)PhilHos Wrote: And Joe Burrow. Don't forget Joe Burrow audiles and changes plays all the time. As much as I love JB, he's not immune from criticizing if he happens to audible into a run play that gets stuffed at the LoS, for example.

Yep, it is on Joe just the same when he is audibling into the wrong play.

(09-14-2022, 04:55 PM)Synric Wrote: It's not "playcalling" its the playbook. It's like they are running 2 completely separate offensives for the run and pass. From the wide zone offense they are missing alot of TE playaction routes, boots, and mesh concepts. From the Spead pass they are missing a ton of motions, screens, RPOs and sweeps.

I said last year the run offense and pass offense se werent married together and if week 1 is any indication it's the same.

Probably right as usual. Not a smart way to run an Offense. Needs to be a seamless transition between plays in the 
same Offense. Not separate ones. Also, they brought in OL that are not wide zone Lineman sticking a square peg in a 
round hole. Lots to clean up after watching this game. Should of been much more prepared.

If you are going to run a spread passing Offense you have to have those calls in the playbook you mention.

(09-14-2022, 04:57 PM)Joelist Wrote: Imagine a world where the Bengals ran and passed out of the same formation? It would be a world where defenses cant key on the formation to give the play away. Imagine...

Yeah, that is the world I was hoping to see this season. Hope it still happens but there is a lot of work to do clearly.
Reply/Quote
The ghost of bradkowski lives.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2022, 10:39 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: The ghost of bradkowski lives.

Need to burn some sage or incense up in that booth or something. It's whatever though. It's just one game (a division game, but one game). The staff needs to be better, and more than a few players need to be better. I'm not as patient with the staff as some though. I'm all for learning on the job, but there comes a point... Again; not laying it all on Zac and the boyz, but they gotta be better too.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I can often tell what kind of play was coming before the snap. I'm no football genius or anything. Just a fan. So imagine what someone whose job it is to figure these things out. Also, don't want the pendulum to swing and they end up trying to be too cute with the play calls.

We are the defending AFC Champions, though. Should be able to pull off some plays where they know what we are going to do and still not be able to stop it. They straight up called the Chase TD when he was lined up one on one with three WR to the top.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2022, 10:45 PM)jason Wrote: Need to burn some sage or incense up in that booth or something. It's whatever though. It's just one game (a division game, but one game). The staff needs to be better, and more than a few players need to be better. I'm not as patient with the staff as some though. I'm all for learning on the job, but there comes a point... Again; not laying it all on Zac and the boyz, but they gotta be better too.

Love that, burn some sage brother lol

And agree, it is the first game of the year and we have 5 more games in our Division we can still win and numerous
AFC games to put us just where we want to be. I am concerned with the playbook and playcalling but that can be taken 
into account easily and remedied.

(09-14-2022, 11:17 PM)Destro Wrote: I can often ell what kind of play was coming before the snap. I'm no football genius or anything. Just a fan. So imagine what someone whose job it is to figure these things out. Also, don't want the pendulum to swing and they end up trying to be too cute with the play calls.

We are the defending AFC Champions, though. Should be able to pull off some plays where they know what we are going to do and still not be able to stop it. They straight up called the Chase TD when he was lined up one on one with three WR to the top.

Yes, when all us dudes that aren't even coach's can see the problems there is a definite problem. Mellow
Reply/Quote
It's not just formation. Every time they bring in both Mike Thomas and Stanley Morgan they run and every DC in the league knows this.
Reply/Quote