No - If it isn't broke no need to fix
44.00%
11 44.00%
Total 25 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Preseason Approach
Thoughts on if the preseason approach should change given the back to back AFCN games to start the season?

Zac has earned the benefit of the doubt and granted some grace in his slow start, and if it means they are as strong as they've been in December/January then maybe it shouldn't be fixed (not broke).

However if the goals are to get the 1 seed, and the risk is going 0-2 in the Division (again), are we hoping his preseason approach works, or are we wanting to start fast?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Burrows surgery and the almost entirely new o line last year were the main reasons things started off so poorly. I still think the o line needed at least a few series of real action together before week one.

Since we’ve got a new LT and likely a new opening day RT, I do hope we see them get 3-4 series as a unit in the preseason. Brown is great and a vet, but there is no substitute for actually being in the trenches with your guys. Get him and our RT’s feet wet and communication worked out.
Reply/Quote
Burrow had surgery last August, new Offensive line, and Bates didn't arrive until the 3rd week of preseason. Had more to do with the slow start than not playing in preseason.

Although I'm not against playing starters in preseason.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
OL need games to gel, and the safeties prolly need to as well.
So just some players.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-12-2023, 01:48 PM)jj22 Wrote: Thoughts on if the preseason approach should change given the back to back AFCN games to start the season?

Zac has earned the benefit of the doubt and granted some grace in his slow start, and if it means they are as strong as they've been in December/January then maybe it shouldn't be fixed (not broke).

However if the goals are to get the 1 seed, and the risk is going 0-2 in the Division (again), are we hoping his preseason approach works, or are we wanting to start fast?

I think they don’t want to go through that again. None of them. But they will still be conservative. McVay is notorious for not playing anybody in preseason. But I don’t think it will be as bad as last year as Joe’s appendectomy didn’t help.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Based on the schedule I think it's very important to get off to a fast start this year. Offense needs to come out ready.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2023, 01:48 PM)jj22 Wrote: Thoughts on if the preseason approach should change given the back to back AFCN games to start the season?

The safeties damn sure need early work
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
need to be out there a few series...
Reply/Quote
I am not a fan at all of starters taking virtually no snaps together during the preseason and especially last season with basically an entirely new starting offensive line. I can understand Burrow not playing but the starters could play some snaps with the backup QB.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2023, 01:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: OL need games to gel, and the safeties prolly need to as well.
So just some players.

Everybody keeps saying this......  except the players and the coaches, who say they get very little benefit out of pre-season snaps and get the most work in practices. While I'm not an NFL lineman, nor do I pretend to be, I assume they are the one's who actually know. If they really don't get anything out of it like they say, then I see no reason to risk losing them to injury in a meaningless preseason game.
Reply/Quote

Need to play the starting OL in the Preseason a bit, same with our Safeties. Play the new starters is all I ask.

As LF40 said Burrow not being 100% and the new OL not having chemistry were the main reason for our slow start last season.

Need to learn from this and start fast as you say, but it doesn't matter about wins in the preseason, I don't care if we go 0-3.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2023, 04:41 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Everybody keeps saying this......  except the players and the coaches, who say they get very little benefit out of pre-season snaps and get the most work in practices. While I'm not an NFL lineman, nor do I pretend to be, I assume they are the one's who actually know. If they really don't get anything out of it like they say, then I see no reason to risk losing them to injury in a meaningless preseason game.

Fair. Maybe the additional time in preseason games can't help (much).
All I know is the OL was not nearly as good the beginning of last season compared to later in the year.
If they have issues, that's potential risk of losing games early on that they could have won otherwise.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-12-2023, 04:41 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Everybody keeps saying this......  except the players and the coaches, who say they get very little benefit out of pre-season snaps and get the most work in practices. While I'm not an NFL lineman, nor do I pretend to be, I assume they are the one's who actually know. If they really don't get anything out of it like they say, then I see no reason to risk losing them to injury in a meaningless preseason game.

Don't care who says it. It was obvious when watching them play, they needed time to gel last year and weren't decent until like a 
quarter into the season. It shown. We should have much more chemistry going into this season with our IOL all gaining that chemistry
last year but the new starting OT's need to play some and if they are playing the starting IOL should as well when they are in.
Reply/Quote
Over the years I've watched too many Pittsburgh and NE teams come out slow from the gate, then gain their footing and peak at the right time of the year to win it all. So, I guess you might call me a believer in keeping your core players healthy (yet still getting them some much needed reps) in the preseason, and being strong to the finish.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2023, 06:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Over the years I've watched too many Pittsburgh and NE teams come out slow from the gate, then gain their footing and peak at the right time of the year to win it all.  So, I guess you might call me a believer in keeping your core players healthy (yet still getting them some much needed reps) in the preseason, and being strong to the finish.

To a point. Those teams had a lot of help though late (the stealers with the refs) and Brady and Billy B being the best.

I love Burrow and Taylor but they have a lot to prove to become the best and we don't get help from the refs and the league hates our guts.

I think we have to start much better than last year this year to have a shot at the #1 seed and our best chance at the Lombardi.

Who knows though...

If we start out 0-2 again I still have confidence in this team winning it all as long as they make the Playoffs.
Reply/Quote
OL  with new player or new to position tackles need live game snaps to gel before regular season. Also lots of new defensive players both on the line and defensive back field need to fine tune communications in live game environment. Special teams also needs shake out reps.

With two divisional games to start the season we can’t afford a slow start!
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2023, 09:02 PM)SouthernFan Wrote: OL  with new player or new to position tackles need live game snaps to gel before regular season. Also lots of new defensive players both on the line and defensive back field need to fine tune communications in live game environment. Special teams also needs shake out reps.

With two divisional games to start the season we can’t afford a slow start!

In some years, I would agree with your statement.  In this particular year, I'm going to say that with the interior OL being consistent, and the Tackles being changed, yes they need some preseason reps, but not as much as you might think.  Defensively, I say that all the younger/newer players will get tons of reps, as they need the continuity and communication.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I think the OL & Burrow should play some. Ditto the young safeties. Chido, too if he is healthy enough.
Reply/Quote
Last year Burrow was hurt, but we didn't even give the project starters a single drive together right?

I would suggest our starters get at least one driver in all 3 games. I would say one drive game one. 2 or so the 2nd game and maybe a quarter the last game?

Obviously if anyone's not 100% let them sit.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2023, 10:27 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I think the OL & Burrow should play some. Ditto the young safeties. Chido, too if he is healthy enough.

I actually would sit Chido. Maybe maybe in the 3rd game if he was healthy enough to play all 3, but I'd prefer he didn't rush back.
Reply/Quote