Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Presidential Conflicts of Interest
So, I have been seeing a lot of stuff about Trump insisting on vacationing at his own resorts, I saw speculation about Trump Hotel in DC being used to host dignitaries instead of Blair House. My question is, how do we feel about this? About someone profiting from the office? I say this because we are talking about taxpayer dollars that will be flowing into the pockets of Trump when these places are utilized in this way.

It's my understanding that there was a big dust up for Carter over his peanut farm when he was POTUS because of potential conflicts of interest regarding public policy and him profiting from that. Why haven't we heard more about this regarding Trump?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(11-19-2016, 09:57 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: So, I have been seeing a lot of stuff about Trump insisting on vacationing at his own resorts, I saw speculation about Trump Hotel in DC being used to host dignitaries instead of Blair House. My question is, how do we feel about this? About someone profiting from the office? I say this because we are talking about taxpayer dollars that will be flowing into the pockets of Trump when these places are utilized in this way.

It's my understanding that there was a big dust up for Carter over his peanut farm when he was POTUS because of potential conflicts of interest regarding public policy and him profiting from that. Why haven't we heard more about this regarding Trump? 

Because Trump has one agenda - benefiting Tump - and almost half of Americans endorse that and would gladly use the office of President for personal gain.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Seeing how he isn't going to accept the salary, and will only intermittently reside in the White House, What is the big deal?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(11-19-2016, 09:57 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Why haven't we heard more about this regarding Trump?

There's only 24 hours in the day.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(11-19-2016, 10:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Seeing how he isn't going to accept the salary, and will only intermittently reside in the White House, What is the big deal?

a. Because the presidency shouldn't really be about profiting off the country.
b. He stands to make a lot more this way and donating his salary (which he can claim as a tax deduction). But he doesn't have a choice about accepting the salary. He can donate it, or keep it for himself. He can't simply not accept it. Other public officials have tried that, they still have to take the money.
(11-19-2016, 11:26 PM)Benton Wrote: a. Because the presidency shouldn't really be about profiting off the country.
b. He stands to make a lot more this way and donating his salary (which he can claim as a tax deduction). But he doesn't have a choice about accepting the salary. He can donate it, or keep it for himself. He can't simply not accept it. Other public officials have tried that, they still have to take the money.

Very true on point b. Washington tried it, even, and was forced to take it by Congress. The idea of the POTUS being paid and residing on state property is that it reduces the need for the POTUS to have conflicting interests. Instead of applauding his efforts they should be met with concern.

Also, his whole not living at the WH thing is actually a hefty financial burden of the taxpayers asthey will have to provide the security and infrastructure of the WH at his alternate location.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(11-19-2016, 10:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Seeing how he isn't going to accept the salary, and will only intermittently reside in the White House, What is the big deal?

Quote:Donald Trump: 

“I would rarely leave the White House because there’s so much work to be done,”  "I would not be a president who took vacations. I would not be a president that takes time off.”

So more bullshit from Trump?
(11-19-2016, 11:26 PM)Benton Wrote: a. Because the presidency shouldn't really be about profiting off the country.

Too bad we won't know about the tax deduction, since he refuses to release tax returns. 
(11-19-2016, 11:48 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Very true on point b. Washington tried it, even, and was forced to take it by Congress. The idea of the POTUS being paid and residing on state property is that it reduces the need for the POTUS to have conflicting interests. Instead of applauding his efforts they should be met with concern.

Also, his whole not living at the WH thing is actually a hefty financial burden of the taxpayers asthey will have to provide the security and infrastructure of the WH at his alternate location.

All of this.

Plus closing down streets in New York when he wants to be there.

Now my question would be if he has divested himself of all control of his "empire" (giggle) why does he have to be in New York at all?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(11-19-2016, 09:57 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: So, I have been seeing a lot of stuff about Trump insisting on vacationing at his own resorts, I saw speculation about Trump Hotel in DC being used to host dignitaries instead of Blair House. My question is, how do we feel about this? About someone profiting from the office? I say this because we are talking about taxpayer dollars that will be flowing into the pockets of Trump when these places are utilized in this way.

Without intending to preach the moral high ground, my first reaction has to do with ethics, or the lack thereof. You are hearkening  back to a day when eliminating any conflict of interest was a premium requirement for public officials. Ethics have been challenged for God knows how long, but seemingly no more so than the past few decades. Now that we have around 60 million voters showing the rest of the world that proper ethics have no place in the Oval Office, what we see is going to be the norm for a lot longer than most can imagine. Politicians do not give ethics top priority anymore. Neither do some voters.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
(11-20-2016, 12:47 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Without intending to preach the moral high ground, my first reaction has to do with ethics, or the lack thereof. You are hearkening  back to a day when eliminating any conflict of interest was a premium requirement for public officials. Ethics have been challenged for God knows how long, but seemingly no more so than the past few decades. Now that we have around 60 million voters showing the rest of the world that proper ethics have no place in the Oval Office, what we see is going to be the norm for a lot longer than most can imagine. Politicians do not give ethics top priority anymore. Neither do some voters.

Well said. Being an elected official is the highest honor and responsibility one can achieve and to see the title being belittled by his actions (and the voters that put him there) is absolutely a devaluation of the integrity of our democracy.
You guys are going to be bitching up a storm when you find out.that he won't even reside in the White House for most of his 1st year. Obama wouldn't allow the necessary renovations to be done, such as bullet proofing etc. 

As far as staying at Trump tower vs Blair House? Blair House was not intended to be a long term living space, there just simply isn't enough room there for DJT and his staff. 

I see this as a problem the leftist media created. This is one of the most hated presidents we've had for a while. He should be staying where he feels safest during the renovation time. Which happens to be Trump Towers.
(11-20-2016, 04:09 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: As far as staying at Trump tower vs Blair House? Blair House was not intended to be a long term living space, there just simply isn't enough room there for DJT and his staff. 

The Blair House thing is a matter of where foreign dignitaries stay if I understand correctly. Which means that it will cost the taxpayers extra to host foreign dignitaries, and the money will go into Trump's pockets.

I get you want to defend him, but from an ethics standpoint this is questionable, to put it mildly, no matter what side of the aisle you are on.

I understand that Bel, I'm saying that Bush and Obama kicked the can down the road (renovations) and Trump can pick up the can and profit from it as well. And it just so happens that Trump is was gifted the perfect opportunity. Any POTUS that could, would.
(11-19-2016, 10:20 PM)xxlt Wrote: Because Trump has one agenda - benefiting Tump - and almost half of Americans endorse that and would gladly use the office of President for personal gain.

Cuz Hillary never is interested in personal gain  Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

The butthurt from you over the election is hilarious.  :andy:
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
(11-20-2016, 05:05 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Cuz Hillary never is interested in personal gain  Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

The butthurt from you over the election is hilarious.  :andy:

While in office? Try again.

The complete and total loyalty to trump is kind of funny though.
(11-19-2016, 11:48 PM)Belsnickel Wrote:  

One other thought/question that we'll have to see as things go forward.

Is he planning on upgrading his properties on taxpayer money? If he's planning on primarily staying at his own properties, is he going to renovate to accommodate on his own dime since it's taxpayer money, or use public funds for something he gets to keep later?
(11-20-2016, 06:28 PM)Benton Wrote: One other thought/question that we'll have to see as things go forward.

Is he planning on upgrading his properties on taxpayer money? If he's planning on primarily staying at his own properties, is he going to renovate to accommodate on his own dime since it's taxpayer money, or use public funds for something he gets to keep later?

It would have to be public funds. The infrastructure would remain property of the U.S. government.

(11-20-2016, 04:50 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I understand that Bel, I'm saying that Bush and Obama kicked the can down the road (renovations) and Trump can pick up the can and profit from it as well. And it just so happens that Trump is was gifted the perfect opportunity. Any POTUS that could, would.

And that is unethical. Period. Personal gain from policy decisions in office is a conflict of interest and is an ethics violation for any branch of our government, and for the private sector for that matter (insider trading).

(11-20-2016, 07:44 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: And that is unethical. Period. Personal gain from policy decisions in office is a conflict of interest and is an ethics violation for any branch of our government, and for the private sector for that matter (insider trading).

Ethics?  From President Elect Trump?