Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Presidents and their expenses for vacations
http://washex.am/1PnJLbe

This article is about Obama, but this is an issue for any president . I don't think they should be stuck in the White House but 1.8m for 2 golf outings is obscene.

Vacations on the tax payer dime shouldn't be part of the job description.

part of being president is giving up the ability to take off to Disney world. Or jet set around the world to go shopping with your kids.
Just I just get transported to some parallel universe where I agree with Lucie?

Whaaaaaaaaat?!
(10-17-2015, 12:24 AM)djs7685 Wrote: Just I just get transported to some parallel universe where I agree with Lucie?

Whaaaaaaaaat?!

Haha welcome
Yea, but if we don't let rich people screw us over they won't create jobs!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
This is one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't scenarios. You don't want to tell someone "tough shit, you ain't going anywhere", even though the need for vacations that some people have eludes me. But in order for the POTUS to go anywhere, the entourage has to go as well. You're never really off the job, so it's hard to really separate that out. The POTUS budget has definitely gotten out of hand, though, and something needs to be done. What, exactly, though, remains to be determined.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(10-17-2015, 07:37 AM)Belsnickel Wrote:   You're never really off the job, so it's hard to really separate that out. The POTUS budget has definitely gotten out of hand, though, and something needs to be done. What, exactly, though, remains to be determined.

That's the issue to me. If it costs $1 million whether he's in the White House or the golf course, it doesn't matter how the POTUS spends his time. It's easy when people pick apart the number of what it costs for a POTUS to go on vacation, but the total number for the time spent at "home" is fuzzier.

More of an issue is the overall cost. If articles like this one http://dailycaller.com/2012/09/26/taxpayers-spent-1-4-billion-on-obama-family-last-year-perks-questioned-in-new-book/ are half right (and given the source, that's probably about it as they toss in czar salaries with that $1.4 billion figure) are right, then that's crazy. The "perks" account is only a couple hundred thousand.
(10-17-2015, 07:37 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: This is one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't scenarios. You don't want to tell someone "tough shit, you ain't going anywhere", even though the need for vacations that some people have eludes me. But in order for the POTUS to go anywhere, the entourage has to go as well. You're never really off the job, so it's hard to really separate that out. The POTUS budget has definitely gotten out of hand, though, and something needs to be done. What, exactly, though, remains to be determined.

They have camp david. Or their personal home. Both will have been secured. They don't need any other vacation destinations . It's public service for a reason . Obama golfs down here and bogs the town down with all his nonsense. If the president wants to the golfer in chief then they should put a golf course at camp David.
(10-17-2015, 07:50 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: They have camp david. Or their personal home. Both will have been secured. They don't need any other vacation destinations . It's public service for a reason . Obama golfs down here and bogs the town down with all his nonsense. If the president wants to the golfer in chief then they should put a golf course at camp David.

There is a course at Camp David, actually. I met a former member of the helicopter crew that serves the POTUS during the Clinton administration and he mentioned a course being there. Anyway, most of the time the POTUS isn't going anywhere without some sort of work to be done at the destination, some purpose for being there other than leisure. Those just aren't what gets publicized.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(10-17-2015, 08:15 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: There is a course at Camp David, actually. I met a former member of the helicopter crew that serves the POTUS during the Clinton administration and he mentioned a course being there. Anyway, most of the time the POTUS isn't going anywhere without some sort of work to be done at the destination, some purpose for being there other than leisure. Those just aren't what gets publicized.

Yeah I know he always working. But Obama going to one vacation and his wife and kids taking a seperate one to go shopping all over Europe. That's double the trouble.
I'd complain about the president wasting money but I was born in a free capitalistic country, so really the only person I have to blame is myself for not working hard enough to BE president. Sorry guys, I really dropped the ball on this one!