Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prime Time Curse
Regarless of how the game on November 1st turns out, the Bengals have 4 primetime games this year. Two at home back to back, two away back to back.

History shows the most they've ever won in a season is one.

What happens this year???
Reply/Quote
This team has been breaking negative streaks, in the past few years. So, I'm going to remain optimistic on this one, and say that they win 3 of 4.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
4-0

Now go home, buddy.
Reply/Quote
What a tremendous opportunity to put the prime time woes behind them. They stepped up to win a big prime time game near the end of last season against Denver virtually saving their postseason berth. At home for back-to-back prime time games against the Browns and Texans is a great way to make their debut under the lights this season. Very winnable games. This team just doesn't seem like one that is going to have such a colossal let down as they did in nearly the very same scenario against Cleveland last season.

As for the road games, it's definitely a good year to catch San Francisco. Meanwhile, we will get another late showdown with the Broncos, this time in Denver. Considering how Manning's play deteriorated later in the season last year, I'm very curious to see if that pattern continues this year. All four of these games are quite winnable for the Bengals and this team has to thrive in the spotlight if they are ever going to get to where they want to be. Two wins out of these four is the absolute worst they can do (and would be at least mildly disappointing to some). Three is realistic. Four probably gets them a first round bye.
Reply/Quote
We could EASILY win all four.

The Browns aren't as bad as advertised, but they'll be coming off the Rams and the Cardinals, so they'll likely be beat-up on a short weak, which having the worst rush defense in the league will hurt them when we just pound them with Hill and change-the-pace with Gio.

I think we're something like 2-1 on MNF in the Dalton/Green era, so bring the Texans to town with us having extra days of rest and watch them fold in The Jungle because the team and the fans will be going nuts and rolling on Adrenaline!

San Fran is garbage and our defensive line will collapse their offensive line and force Kap into mistakes.

Manning might die of old age by week 16, but, if he doesn't, his body will be so beat-up and he'll be throwing wounded ducks into our DB's hands!  

Four wins is highly probable!
Reply/Quote
Seriously, everyone is so positive and supportive, and that would normally be a good thing.

However.......

I've been around long enough to know the first bad game they have, Brown and Lewis will become horses behinds and the worst owner and coach that ever lived,,,again, and Dalton will go from The Red Rifle to Howdy Doody,,,,,again.

Just wait and see! Can't wait for the 'I told you sos'!
Reply/Quote
Denver scares me the most because we have to play at Denver, which means Geno Atkins either can't play or can't play very much due to his sickle cell trait. It's happened once before and I can't remember if he was out the whole game or just played a few snaps.
Reply/Quote
Never believed in the curse stuff. So, doesn't matter. You either play a good game, or you don't. The time it's played makes no difference.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2015, 06:28 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Seriously, everyone is so positive and supportive, and that would normally be a good thing.

However.......

I've been around long enough to know the first bad game they have, Brown and Lewis will become horses behinds and the worst owner and coach that ever lived,,,again, and Dalton will go from The Red Rifle to Howdy Doody,,,,,again.

Just wait and see!  Can't wait for the 'I told you sos'!

I know the feeling. AND I hope your are very wrong. Cool
Reply/Quote
None of the prime time games are against teams that worry me so I'm not worried. If we lose more than 1 of these games I will say the curse is real, though.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2015, 06:50 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Denver scares me the most because we have to play at Denver, which means Geno Atkins either can't play or can't play very much due to his sickle cell trait.  It's happened once before and I can't remember if he was out the whole game or just played a few snaps.

I didn't even think about that, but our defensive line is so deep and so talented that we might not even need him with Manning being 206 years old.

Don't get me wrong, Geno is unreal, but Manning might be so beat-up by then that we might be ok.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2015, 06:20 PM)34inXXIII Wrote: What a tremendous opportunity to put the prime time woes behind them. They stepped up to win a big prime time game near the end of last season against Denver virtually saving their postseason berth. At home for back-to-back prime time games against the Browns and Texans is a great way to make their debut under the lights this season. Very winnable games. This team just doesn't seem like one that is going to have such a colossal let down as they did in nearly the very same scenario against Cleveland last season.

As for the road games, it's definitely a good year to catch San Francisco. Meanwhile, we will get another late showdown with the Broncos, this time in Denver. Considering how Manning's play deteriorated later in the season last year, I'm very curious to see if that pattern continues this year. All four of these games are quite winnable for the Bengals and this team has to thrive in the spotlight if they are ever going to get to where they want to be. Two wins out of these four is the absolute worst they can do (and would be at least mildly disappointing to some). Three is realistic. Four probably gets them a first round bye.

I just read a Sports Illustrated article on predicting all of the remaining undefeated teams will have a loss by week 9. In the article they described prime time games and the Steelers as the "Bengals Kryptonite". Of course they highlighted the fact that we play Cleveland on Thursday night 4 days after traveling to Pittsburgh, hence the basis for their claim that we'll have a loss by the end of week 9.

I'm thinking that the losses to those two teams last year still stings a bit despite the rhetoric of treating each game the same. Couple that with the way we've played this year, it wouldn't surprise me to see two well-played games resulting in solid wins, getting us to 8 - 0. I think that would continue the focus, even improve it, on keeping the eye on the prize. Converting "winnable" into wins, and our most successful post season ever. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2015, 08:53 PM)Derrick Wrote: I know the feeling. AND I hope your are very wrong. Cool

Me too!   Wink
Reply/Quote
Here's a solid prediction for you -

When Cincy beats Pitt in the next game, The National Media buzz will be about how Steelers aren't as good this year.
[Image: d1id.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2015, 10:19 PM)West Union KennyG Wrote: Here's a solid prediction for you -

When Cincy beats Pitt in the next game, The National Media buzz will be about how Steelers aren't as good this year.
Just like they did with Seattle.

Richard Sherman said, "We could easily be 6-1." What???

They SHOULD be 2-5. The referees gave them the Detroit game.
Reply/Quote
I look at the prime time games, and my heart says that they should be able to win all of them, but my head also tells me they should have been able to been able to beat the Browns last year and instead got spanked 24-3... then beat them 30-0 when they weren't on prime time.

Just isn't rational. All I know is Palmer became much better in prime time after he left the Bengals.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2015, 11:06 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I look at the prime time games, and my heart says that they should be able to win all of them, but my head also tells me they should have been able to been able to beat the Browns last year and instead got spanked 24-3... then beat them 30-0 when they weren't on prime time.

Just isn't rational. All I know is Palmer became much better in prime time after he left the Bengals.
Primetime has haunted them the whole 47 year old history of the franchise.

Just like playoff victories.

They have 5 in 47 years, all at home.

Jacksonville has 5 in 21 years, 2 at home, 3 away.

Go figure.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2015, 10:19 PM)West Union KennyG Wrote: Here's a solid prediction for you -

When we beat the Steelers the national media will point out that it doesn't count because Ben is still hurt (no matter how hurt he really is) and act like the guy is a martyr. 
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2015, 09:25 PM)Nately120 Wrote: None of the prime time games are against teams that worry me so I'm not worried.  If we lose more than 1 of these games I will say the curse is real, though.

You probably weren't worried about Cleveland last year either. Just saying.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2015, 01:10 AM)Utts Wrote: You probably weren't worried about Cleveland last year either. Just saying.

You're 1050634657% right aboot that one.
Reply/Quote