Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Profession by Political Affiliation
I posted this in another thread; however, I didn't want to derail and felt many that may not be overly concerned with that thread (Cruz) might find this of interest:

http://verdantlabs.com/politics_of_professions/

I was surpised to discover that my chosen profession (HR Manager) is occupied by more Liberals than Conservatives. But in general it pretty much backs up assumptions I have made.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-03-2016, 10:41 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I posted this in another thread; however, I didn't want to derail and felt many that may not be overly concerned with that thread (Cruz) might find this of interest:

I was surpised to discover that my chosen profession (HR Manager0 is occupied by more Liberals than Conservatives. But in general it pretty much backs up assumptions I have made.
That's because all HR is worried about is hiring the right quota of minority applicants.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
I think one of the most interesting comparisons was between physicians and surgeons. I only glanced at it this morning but I am going to look at the expanded stuff more, later.
(04-03-2016, 10:41 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I posted this in another thread; however, I didn't want to derail and felt many that may not be overly concerned with that thread (Cruz) might find this of interest:

I was surpised to discover that my chosen profession (HR Manager0 is occupied by more Liberals than Conservatives. But in general it pretty much backs up assumptions I have made.

Interesting.  Not too many surprises.

I'd be interested in how they came up with it though.

While searching I found this one:

http://www.businessinsider.com/charts-show-the-political-bias-of-each-profession-2014-11

Which used campaign donations.  And even they admit that the "center" average isn't really bipartisan:

Quote:That basic summary shows the average ideology scores for each profession. However, the "purple" professions that appear in the middle of the spectrum aren't really bipartisan. They're actually extremely polarized: Rather than having a large number of donors with middle of the road politics, they're largely split, with a big liberal group on one side and a similarly sized large conservative group on the other.

It looks like your post came from the same basic methodology:

http://verdantlabs.com/blog/2015/06/02/politics-of-professions/

Quote:Here's the math

This analysis is possible because the Federal Election Commission (FEC) provides data that reveals who made what contribution to which political campaign, when they contributed, how much they contributed, what they call their occupation, and other info. We aggregated that data and applied a simple formula for each occupation:

Dem % for occupation = 
# of people who primarily gave to Demstotal Dem + Rep contributors

A caveat with this methodology is that we assume Democrats and Republicans contribute at a similar rate to each other within each profession. In other words, we assume that a 75 / 25 split of contributions by Democratic teachers vs. Republican teachers translates to a 75 / 25 split of Democrat vs. Republican teachers in the general populace. If it's actually the case that, say, Republican teachers are looser with their wallets and have a higher per capita contribution rate, our ratio for that profession will be a bit skewed. Thus, the ratios should be viewed as approximate.

For example if I took a survey where I work there would be 1 democrat and 10 republicans.  But if I looked at campaign donations only I'd see two democrats and two republicans because one boss donates to friends in both parties and most of the guys on the shop do not donate at all.

That doesn't mean the link isn't an accurate approximation...just that I wonder how close it really is vs people who care about their politics donate more than people who may be more in the middle of the spectrum and don't donate at all.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Pro poker player surprised me. All the guys I know who make/made a living playing poker or pool, the majority would have been conservatives, either out of their personal beliefs or reliance on tax breaks to have their playfession.
First of all I don't want to seem like I am attacking this entire study. Overall it is very informative. But I do see a few interesting results.

For example it shows that taxi drivers are a lot more liberal than truck drivers. I think this has more to do with the fact that all taxi drivers are from big cities, and large cities in general are more liberal than rural areas.

Very interesting to note that under "Religion" it lists 64% democrat. That just doesn't seem right from my personal experience. Anyone have a theory on that result?

This study also shows that "engineering" is dominated by Democrats when most other studies I have seen show that engineers are more likely to be conservatives.
(04-03-2016, 11:27 AM)fredtoast Wrote: First of all I don't want to seem like I am attacking this entire study.  Overall it is very informative.  But I do see a few interesting results.

For example it shows that taxi drivers are a lot more liberal than truck drivers.  I think this has more to do with the fact that all taxi drivers are from big cities, and large cities in general are more liberal than rural areas.

Very interesting to note that under "Religion" it lists 64% democrat.  That just doesn't seem right from my personal experience.  Anyone have a theory on that result?

This study also shows that "engineering" is dominated by Democrats when most other studies I have seen show that engineers are more likely to be conservatives.

Good point, I work for a company comprised of Engineers and Surveyors, the vast majority of which are conservative.  Some of the younger ones seem liberal in the conversations that I've had with them.  But that is not surprising, as many conservatives were once liberal in their younger days.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(04-03-2016, 11:27 AM)fredtoast Wrote: First of all I don't want to seem like I am attacking this entire study. Overall it is very informative. But I do see a few interesting results.

For example it shows that taxi drivers are a lot more liberal than truck drivers. I think this has more to do with the fact that all taxi drivers are from big cities, and large cities in general are more liberal than rural areas.

Very interesting to note that under "Religion" it lists 64% democrat. That just doesn't seem right from my personal experience. Anyone have a theory on that result?

Click on the professon title and it will break it down. You mention Engineering as surprising, but if you click on engineering you will see that Civil and Mechanical Engineering is mostly conservative. Liberals dominate the Environmental and software aspects as one might expect.

I wonder if there were strict guidelines for each profession or if subjects were allowed to identify themselves.

I have a strong feeling that the reason "Homemakers" are 62% republican while "sat ay home moms" and "stay at home dads" are mainly democrats is because a lot of "homemakers" are really just "stay at home moms/dads" who like the sound of "homemaker" better.
Interesting stuff, and I didn't read into the background of it but I know people who have actually changed their political affiliation, though not really their core beliefs, when they move to a new area and/or get a new job. I know a woman who changed her affiliation to Democrat when she moved to Philly and worked in admin for a university, and a friend of mine and I were the only registered Libertarians I knew, and while we both plan to vote for Gary Johnson he changed his affiliation to Republican when he moved back to the hometown to help with his dad's business. He said it allows him to vote for his local connections and customers etc because 95% of people in the town are Republicans. I also assume if you are trying to be a local business guy and your customer base is 95% Republican that you should at least look like you're "one of them" in that sense, too.

Hell, I was close to changing my affiliation to Democrat so I could vote for Bernie to get in some chick's pants BUT I managed to find a gal who gives it up and would rather watch reruns of old Nickelodeon game shows than talk politics.
(04-03-2016, 12:50 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Interesting stuff, and I didn't read into the background of it but I know people who have actually changed their political affiliation, though not really their core beliefs, when they move to a new area and/or get a new job.  I know a woman who changed her affiliation to Democrat when she moved to Philly and worked in admin for a university, and a friend of mine and I were the only registered Libertarians I knew, and while we both plan to vote for Gary Johnson he changed his affiliation to Republican when he moved back to the hometown to help with his dad's business.  He said it allows him  to vote for his local connections and customers etc because 95% of people in the town are Republicans.  I also assume if you are trying to be a local business guy and your customer base is 95% Republican that you should at least look like you're "one of them" in that sense, too.

Hell, I was close to changing my affiliation to Democrat so I could vote for Bernie to get in some chick's pants BUT I managed to find a gal who gives it up and would rather watch reruns of old Nickelodeon game shows than talk politics.

When the Public Defenders Office was established in Tennessee in the early 90's all the District Public Defenders were appointed.  They did not have to run for election until the end of their first term.  The PD I worked for, Ed Miller, was the son of a local judge who happened to be one of the few Democrats in the area.  Tennessee also had a Democrat Governor at the time, Ed McWherter.  So Ed got appointed as a political favor.  However the first time he had to run for election he told the Democrat Party leaders that there was no way possible a Democrat could get elected to any position in this district.  Ed was popular and knew he could get elected if he just ran as a Republican.  The Democrat party leaders were not really that mad at him.  They understood that he had to do it to keep his job.
(04-03-2016, 12:50 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Interesting stuff, and I didn't read into the background of it but I know people who have actually changed their political affiliation, though not really their core beliefs, when they move to a new area and/or get a new job.  I know a woman who changed her affiliation to Democrat when she moved to Philly and worked in admin for a university, and a friend of mine and I were the only registered Libertarians I knew, and while we both plan to vote for Gary Johnson he changed his affiliation to Republican when he moved back to the hometown to help with his dad's business.  He said it allows him  to vote for his local connections and customers etc because 95% of people in the town are Republicans.  I also assume if you are trying to be a local business guy and your customer base is 95% Republican that you should at least look like you're "one of them" in that sense, too.

That's why there are so many registered Democrats locally here that are actual Republicans in beliefs.  Virtually no Republicans run for office so the real elections are during the primaries.

Then they all cross register and run unopposed anyway.

It's a joke.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
I wonder what the difference between an environmentalist and an environmental scientist is.
(04-03-2016, 11:27 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Very interesting to note that under "Religion" it lists 64% democrat.  That just doesn't seem right from my personal experience.  Anyone have a theory on that result?

This is the real "silent majority". Most people who would call themselves religious in America aren't evangelical right-wingers. And most, while considering themselves Pro-Life, do not consider abortion the sole or primary issue in voting. But right wing evangelicals and more vocal pro-lifers tend to be more active politically and get far more press as a result. I think that really skews our impression of what a religious person is in the U.S.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
How come every damn time they have one of these things, or when you have to fill something out regarding the business, there's never any mention of a Locksmith??

As if any of you ****ers could get by without us?!

Freaking jabroni ingrates...

Mad

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(04-03-2016, 05:07 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: How come every damn time they have one of these things, or when you have to fill something out regarding the business, there's never any mention of a Locksmith??

Mad

Click on skilled trade.

(04-03-2016, 01:57 PM)treee Wrote: I wonder what the difference between an environmentalist and an environmental scientist is.

One believes what they know to be true in their heart, and the other validates that belief with biased research  Tongue
--------------------------------------------------------

(04-03-2016, 05:07 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: How come every damn time they have one of these things, or when you have to fill something out regarding the business, there's never any mention of a Locksmith??

Mad

I have bump keys and bolt cutters
Ninja
(04-03-2016, 07:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Click on skilled trade.

Thank you sir. ThumbsUp

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(04-03-2016, 09:18 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I have bump keys and bolt cutters
Ninja

Bump keys only work under certain situations. 

Wink