Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Progressive parents fight integration in their children’s public schools.
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/424550/in-brooklyn-public-schools-progressives-opposing-integration-reihan-salam

Progressives opposing integration. Sounds familiar.
Two things made me chuckle.

First. There's no citing. A story with no citing, with no actual human element is just an opinion. And opinions are like kittens.

Second. Southern democrats... the modern conservative party... opposed integration. Not those you mislabel as progressives.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-24-2015, 09:24 PM)Benton Wrote: Two things made me chuckle.

First. There's no citing. A story with no citing, with no actual human element is just an opinion. And opinions are like kittens.

Second. Southern democrats... the modern conservative party... opposed integration. Not those you mislabel as progressives.

So woodrow wilson supporting the KKK and not allowing any blacks in the White House was pro integration?

The GOP has been pro integration for quite some time.

Lol @ southern democrats. Democrats blocked all civil righs legislation for decades. Which always had almost 100% GOP support btw. And almost always 0% dem support. So was the Democrat party only in the south? If there were true "southern democrats" like you claim then civil rights legislation would have easily passed before even with a small faction of democrat support. The only reason LBJ signed the bill was because the GOP had veto proof margins and as he caved. But his famous line "I'll have those n****** voting democrat for 200 years"
And on citation:  this was referenced in the article with a link.  

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/09/23/nyregion/race-and-class-collide-in-a-plan-for-two-brooklyn-schools.html?referer=http://t.co/4zEi7DjEQG

Quote:“We fought hard to build this school, and we’re not just going to let people come from outside when we worked so hard and dedicated ourselves,” Dolores Cheatom, a Farragut Houses resident, said at the meeting, holding her 1-year-old daughter on her hip.

She said she had “no problem working with anybody, but I’m not going to let anybody take from my daughter.”

At a meeting at P.S. 8 on Monday, Dumbo residents pointed to P.S. 307’s low test scores and asked what kind of training and extra resources the school’s teachers would receive to make the education there comparable to that at P.S. 8. Some Dumbo parents said they were anxious about their children’s being part of a racial minority in the school, while others worried that their children would not be sufficiently challenged.

Quote:“They aren’t people who don’t want to be with other races and other cultures,” he said. “They just don’t want to be in a ghetto. They don’t want to be in a school where everybody’s poor and their kid is the only white kid or the only Asian kid.”
(09-25-2015, 08:00 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: And on citation:  this was referenced in the article with a link.  

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/09/23/nyregion/race-and-class-collide-in-a-plan-for-two-brooklyn-schools.html?referer=http://t.co/4zEi7DjEQG

That's citation. Thanks.

And what they said has nothing to do with integration. Reread their words, not the hyperbole from the OP. They're already an integrated school, what they're concerned about is kids coming in from a lowering performing school detracting from the time and resources they've built. And that mostly boils down to how we dole out education funding in this country.
(09-25-2015, 10:20 AM)Benton Wrote: That's citation. Thanks.

And what they said has nothing to do with integration. Reread their words, not the hyperbole from the OP. They're already an integrated school, what they're concerned about is kids coming in from a lowering performing school detracting from the time and resources they've built. And that mostly boils down to how we dole out education funding in this country.

i guess all the bolded parts about the parents not wanting their kids to be in a ghetto or a minority, or about not wanting people from the outside, is about time and resources. Gotcha
(09-25-2015, 10:20 AM)Benton Wrote: That's citation. Thanks.

So integration is fine as long as the minorities are educated and wealthy? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(09-25-2015, 07:57 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: So woodrow wilson supporting the KKK and not allowing any blacks in the White House was pro integration?  

The GOP has been pro integration for quite some time.    

Lol @ southern democrats.    Democrats blocked all civil righs legislation for decades.  Which always had almost 100% GOP support btw.     And almost always 0% dem support.   So was the Democrat party only in the south?   If there were true "southern democrats" like you claim then civil rights legislation would have easily passed before even with a small faction of democrat support.     The only reason LBJ signed the bill was because the GOP had veto proof margins and as he caved.   But his famous line "I'll have those n****** voting democrat for 200 years"

Stop laughing at the GOP, their feelings hurt easy.

As far as the rest, did you go to PS 307?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservative_Coalition
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Democrats
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party_switching_in_the_United_States    (note the 60s-70s for both major parties)
(09-25-2015, 10:27 AM)bfine32 Wrote: So integration is fine.

There.
(09-25-2015, 10:30 AM)Benton Wrote: There.

Even if it may make your test scores lower?

(09-25-2015, 10:38 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Even if it may make your test scores lower?
It's already integrated.

To me, it would be better to use this as a national discussion for reforming how we allocate education dollars largely based on how nice your zip code is. Or we can just make it another race thing.
(09-25-2015, 10:47 AM)Benton Wrote: It's already integrated.

To me, it would be better to use this as a national discussion for reforming how we allocate education dollars largely based on how nice your zip code is. Or we can just make it another race thing.

Or you can just dodge the question.

Yes the school is current integrated with wealthy educated minorities.

Who would ever thing think that a topic on school integration could possibly lead to "another race thing" it should be about Zip Codes.

(09-25-2015, 10:50 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Or you can just dodge the question.

Yes the school is current integrated with wealthy educated minorities.

Who would ever thing think that a topic on school integration could possibly lead to "another race thing" it should be about Zip Codes.

Answering a question that's already been answered isn't dodging. You can make it into a race thing if you wish, but the truth is it's a matter of more resources in one district and less resources in another. That's dictated by property values.

But, do go on with how your race is being oppressed, Al.
(09-25-2015, 10:59 AM)Benton Wrote: Answering a question that's already been answered isn't dodging. You can make it into a race thing if you wish, but the truth is it's a matter of more resources in one district and less resources in another. That's dictated by property values.

But, do go on with how your race is being oppressed, Al.

So do you find what they are doing acceptable? That is what you're dodging.

Suggesting he make a "race thing" out of it is funny since that's all liberals do. Thinking of it as a sort of affirmative action may help you feel at ease.
(09-25-2015, 11:42 AM)Blutarsky Wrote: So do you find what they are doing acceptable? That is what you're dodging.

Apparently he has already answered this.  Although chances of getting a yes or no are slim. 

(09-25-2015, 11:42 AM)Blutarsky Wrote: So do you find what they are doing acceptable? That is what you're dodging.

Suggesting he make a "race thing" out of it is funny since that's all liberals do. Thinking of it as a sort of affirmative action may help you feel at ease.

One, like a Camaro swap meet, no dodges. I'm not sure your question though. Who are they?

Two, I've never called Bfine a liberal. I don't think I've called him anything. I prefer not to label people.

Mellow
bfine32 Wrote:Apparently he has already answered this.  Although chances of getting a yes or no are slim.

(09-25-2015, 12:16 PM)Benton Wrote: One, like a Camaro swap meet, no dodges. I'm not sure your question though. Who are they?

Two, I've never called Bfine a liberal. I don't think I've called him anything. I prefer not to label people.

Mellow
Like a book

(09-25-2015, 12:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Like a book

They have those in school, yes.
(09-24-2015, 09:24 PM)Benton Wrote: Two things made me chuckle.

One thing made me chuckle. Conservative is not a party.

How did Klansman turned politician David Duke remain Democrat up until 1989 with only little resistance or objections from democrats?
When he became Republican, strong attempts were made to oust him...to send him back to the racist scum from whence he came.

Democrats have their fingerprints all over racism and bigotry. No "switcheroo" excuses can wipe that clean.
(09-25-2015, 10:27 AM)bfine32 Wrote: So integration is fine as long as the minorities are educated and wealthy? 

Yes Asians are the only ones allowed to join white in the progressive mindsets