Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Props to Lou Anarumo and the Defense
In all our anger and disappointment over losing a game the Bengals should have won easily there is one bright spot: The defense.

Lou Anarumo needs a raise because his retooled defense held the Chargers to only sixteen points with two — Or was it three? — impressive goal line stands where Los Angeles had to settle for field goals. I saw things I haven’t seen since Mike Zimmer was here:

1. Sure tackling.
2. Tight pass coverage.
3. Tight ends covered instead of running free.
4. Physical play. I heard and saw some real hitting.
5. Stuffing the run.

The only two things I didn’t see were turnovers and sacks. They will come eventually I’m sure.

Allowing only sixteen points and losing is not good but the defense is mostly fixed as far as I’m concerned.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Meh - one game. They played well but lets not forget what happened in and after the first game of the year in Seattle last year.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I was all out on Anarumo, but they looked pretty good today. I know some people will say "Tyrod Taylor" but they have some pretty serious weapons on that offense.

Hopefully they can keep it up. Would be nice to have a good D again.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Our run D was elite without Reader for the short amount of time it was a dumpster fire. Our coverage is lacking Williams was open all game. Allen lit up WJack 1 on 1. Bates was phenomenal don't get me wrong a real QB will expose us. Tyrod is garbage as a starter.
Reply/Quote
The tackling problem seemed fixed

That’s good

We’re going to be a bad team. We don’t need to be missing tackles
Reply/Quote
The LBers really did a better job.on the run.fits.
Bynes showed me in one game why.hes a upgrade
Over Vigil.
Reply/Quote
Bates good screwed.

He had a great hit early and got called for a unnecessary roughness, then at the end of game he went low on the WR, but the WR lowered his head.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Bynes and Pratt were all over the field and highlighted much improved tackling.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2020, 09:11 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Lou Anarumo needs a raise

[Image: tenor.png]

I thought the defense did pretty decently today.  But they did give up way too much on the ground again.

This dude is coming off a 32nd ranked performance in 2019.  He's damn lucky to have a job.  Let's squash the raise talk for just a little bit.
Reply/Quote
Lets not forget the Chargers QB is no star, but the D did play well
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2020, 09:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Bates good screwed.

He had a great hit early and got called for a unnecessary roughness, then at the end of game he went low on the WR, but the WR lowered his head.

Amen. Bates wss everywhere and had textbook hits all day.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2020, 09:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Bates good screwed.

Yeah, for whatever good it will do (absolutely none). The Bengals will get a letter from the NFL on Wednesday saying those 2 hits were clean and shouldn't have been called.

This will never be a fair and non-biased league until the referees start getting fined and/or suspended for bullshit calls.

As it is, there is no detterent to be fair and impartial. They all have their favorite players and teams...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
Some things were encouraging, others aren't. Chargers were missing two starters on the line. Bengals were missing Geno. I don't think the Bengals should have been gashed on the ground like they were in the 3rd qtr. However, them holding the Chargers to only 3 after the Mixon fumble was huge. Plus, they stopped Taylor twice on 4th and short. I don't think they will be the worst defense in the NFL, but they won't be in the top-20 either.
Reply/Quote
The defense was the best thing about the game. The Chargers should have gotten two touchdowns, especially after Joe Mixon fumbled. It really helped that they had that one five minute drive because when Joe Burrows threw that bad pass the defense stopped the Chargers yet again because they'd had extra time to recuperate. Yes, the Bengals should get more than two wins this year.
Reply/Quote
Absolutely, I was very impressed and they were the reason we had a chance to win......
Reply/Quote
A couple of thoughts
1.) This is the seventh game in a row where the Bengals forced a QB to complete under 60% of their passes.

2.) Held the chargers 7-21 on money situations(3rd down, 4th down, and Redzone Defense)

3.) Bates and Jackson look liked their best selves today. 4 pass breakups between the two.

4.) Bynes was impressive definitely an upgrade over Brown from last season as our run package LB.

5.) Thought Pratt, Akeem, and Logan looked good today.

6.) Bell, Reader, and Convington looked good today from what I saw. Run Defense looked good especially in short yardage situations.

Now for the bad
1.) Another score given up at halftime

2.) Only two sacks and they only resulted in -1 yard.

3.) Zero Turnovers- that hurts.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
all the D needs is to create turnovers in passes and causing fumbles. They will be OK!!!

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2020, 09:30 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: [Image: tenor.png]

I thought the defense did pretty decently today.  But they did give up way too much on the ground again.

This dude is coming off a 32nd ranked performance in 2019.  He's damn lucky to have a job.  Let's squash the raise talk for just a little bit.

This.

FIK has a soft spot for Lou cause he’s Italian. So am I but I’m not ready to hand any raises quite yet. Tongue

Reply/Quote
Yeah i remember the seattle game last year. Lets see if we can keep it up all season. No props given until we see consistency.
Reply/Quote
It's hard to fault the defense for that game.
Reply/Quote