Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Props to Lou Anarumo and the Defense
(10-21-2022, 12:51 PM)Go Cards Wrote: a TD yes, and that was 10 games ago

Just crazy 

Amazing really  Shocked
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2022, 12:34 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: The Rams scored the 4th quarter, go ahead TD in the Super unless I am misunderstanding the conversation. 

The OP was referring to just 6 games and 2nd half. 

This was in reply to my post on Casaers points showed through 14 games in 3rd quarter only. Did not check his #'s though, just assumed correct. Certain you can tell us if they are correct though.

Although you're correct as usual that Kupp had a 2 or 3 yd TD on Eli Apple in the 4th the sadly put them ahead for good. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2022, 10:51 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Think about it: No second half touchdowns allowed all season.  No second half touchdowns allowed by the Chiefs in either game last year.  Only permitting 18 stingy points per game on average.

When Zac Taylor hired Lou Anarumo as his first defensive coordinator I had never heard of him.  Who would have thought this unheralded defensive backs coach from the New York Giants would turn the Bengals’ defense into a run-stuffing pass-snatching beast?

Honestly I’m still gobsmacked.  I didn’t see this coming in 2019 or early in 2020.  The defensive draft selections got better.  Reputable players began arriving via free agency.  Then came THE play: Von Bell demolishing JuJu Smith-Schuster in prime time; I was at that game and the hit was SO loud. Now the Cincinnati defensive roster is loaded with stars and Lou might be the best coach I’ve ever seen with respect to not just making halftime adjustments but making adjustments between possessions.

Keeping Lou in Cincinnati for a long time needs to be a high priority.

Great thread FIK. I wanted Lou gone after his first 2 seasons here and boy was I wrong. Once his personnel was here you 
could just see the Defense coming together. That hit you speak of by Bell should of stood out to me as the turning point but
I was already ready to move on from Lou and I was clearly wrong. His guys play their asses off for him and keep us in every 
game and in the big games they seem to really come to play, same as Burrow on Offense.

It could be a lethal combination once the Offense plays decent and keeps this Defense fresh and we get healthy. Losing DJ
Reader hurt but we added Jay Tufele who flashed big time in just a few snaps against the Saints. This goes to show you the
eye that Lou has for defensive players as well as we wanted to draft Tufele before Shelvin, he was just drafted ahead of us.

Lou's halftime adjustments are sooo good and next man up is truly a thing here for once. Lou has the backups prepared it 
seems often if we lose one of our starters, hope this continues with Tufele and Bailey to get us through while Reader and 
Wilson are out. Props to Lou and the Defense no doubt.
Reply/Quote
Captain Lou is going to be a head coach somewhere. I know people will throw defense rankings at me but that is only part of it. How he has built his defense and the players he targeted are a major part of what he's done in Cincinnati.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2022, 01:11 PM)Go Cards Wrote: The OP was referring to just 6 games and 2nd half. 

This was in reply to my post on Casaers points showed through 14 games in 3rd quarter only. Did not check his #'s though, just assumed correct. Certain you can tell us if they are correct though.

Although you're correct as usual that Kupp had a 2 or 3 yd TD on Eli Apple in the 4th the sadly put them ahead for good. 

Yep, that's what I get for not reading the entire thread. I had just second half in my mind and not only third quarter. Thanks. And yeah, last third quarter touchdown was the divisional round against Tennessee. A 33 yard TD pass to A.J. Brown. Last regular season TD in the third quarter was against Denver. 
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2022, 12:34 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: The Rams scored the 4th quarter, go ahead TD in the Super unless I am misunderstanding the conversation. 

(10-21-2022, 12:51 PM)Go Cards Wrote: a TD yes, and that was 10 games ago

Just crazy 

Yeah, sorry, I meant 3rd Q
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2022, 04:00 PM)Synric Wrote: Captain Lou is going to be a head coach somewhere. I know people will throw defense rankings at me but that is only part of it. How he has built his defense and the players he targeted are a major part of what he's done in Cincinnati.

The leg up he has, is the way he's able to adjust in-game. If he gets an interview and has some good OC contacts and can convince a team he's onboard with the current trends and is more of a total game manager rather than a "defensive-minded coach", then he has a better shot than some recent defensive guys. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2022, 04:33 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Yep, that's what I get for not reading the entire thread. I had just second half in my mind and not only third quarter. Thanks. And yeah, last third quarter touchdown was the divisional round against Tennessee. A 33 yard TD pass to A.J. Brown. Last regular season TD in the third quarter was against Denver. 

I screwed it all up, my bad.

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2022, 05:43 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The leg up he has, is the way he's able to adjust in-game. If he gets an interview and has some good OC contacts and can convince a team he's onboard with the current trends and is more of a total game manager rather than a "defensive-minded coach", then he has a better shot than some recent defensive guys. 

Good thing Betcher is here as he is a great Defensive mind as well, cause I think you guys are right and Lou is headed for a
Head Coaching job soon.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2022, 04:33 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Yep, that's what I get for not reading the entire thread. I had just second half in my mind and not only third quarter. Thanks. And yeah, last third quarter touchdown was the divisional round against Tennessee. A 33 yard TD pass to A.J. Brown. Last regular season TD in the third quarter was against Denver. 

Thanks just now at lunch at work so knew I would not time and it may be right up your alley.

This does suggest some great halftime adjustments by Lou

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Lou has been making some great second half adjustments. I would like for them to be a bit tighter in the 1st half, though, and I am a bit concerned about the lack of pass rush when it comes to time to play teams/QBs that are actually good.

Mostly I am just wondering what Lou's defense will be like when Burrow, and a year later Chase, get paid and suddenly they can't spend all that money on the defense. The Bengals are currently spending the 3rd most cap space in the league on their defense. They are spending literally more than twice the cap space on defense than Atlanta is.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2022, 08:37 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Lou has been making some great second half adjustments. I would like for them to be a bit tighter in the 1st half, though, and I am a bit concerned about the lack of pass rush when it comes to time to play teams/QBs that are actually good.

Mostly I am just wondering what Lou's defense will be like when Burrow, and a year later Chase, get paid and suddenly they can't spend all that money on the defense. The Bengals are currently spending the 3rd most cap space in the league on their defense. They are spending literally more than twice the cap space on defense than Atlanta is.

That is only part of the equation before this season the Bengals earliest defensive draft pick was Logan Wilson. Lou has built an entirely new defense from the one he inherited in a short span and did so at technically a bargain rate in the defensive secondary. They spent money on 3 key positions on the defensive line NT and both Defensive Ends.

Building is as important as Defensive Rankings.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2022, 08:37 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Lou has been making some great second half adjustments. I would like for them to be a bit tighter in the 1st half, though, and I am a bit concerned about the lack of pass rush when it comes to time to play teams/QBs that are actually good.

Fair question and you're correct that luxury will soon evaporate and the Bengals will be forced to trim the fat.  

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2022, 08:48 PM)Synric Wrote: That is only part of the equation before this season the Bengals earliest defensive draft pick was Logan Wilson. Lou has built an entirely new defense from the one he inherited in a short span and did so at technically a bargain rate in the defensive secondary. They spent money on 3 key positions on the defensive line NT and both Defensive Ends.

Building is as important as Defensive Rankings.

Ehhh...

Trae Waynes was tied for the 9th highest paid CB when he got his deal.
Awuzie was the 31st highest paid CB.
Hilton was the 34th highest paid CB.
Vonn Bell was the 20th highest paid S.
Jessie Bates is the 11th highest paid S.
Dax Hill is the 39th highest paid S.

There's been no top-5 paid guys, but the secondary has not been bargain rate. Even if you look at it in terms of right now instead of when they got signed, they have 2 of the top-26 paid safeties, and 2 of the top-36 paid corners. There's a reason why the Bengals are at the 3rd most cap space spent on defense in the league.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 08:16 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Ehhh...

There's been no top-5 paid guys, but the secondary has not been bargain rate. Even if you look at it in terms of right now instead of when they got signed, they have 2 of the top-26 paid safeties, and 2 of the top-36 paid corners. There's a reason why the Bengals are at the 3rd most cap space spent on defense in the league.

Jessie Bates is a Franchise tag meaning a 1 year deal. The highest paid position in the secondary is corner and the Bengals don't even have a top 30 paid player on the roster. Dax Hill is the only top 50 defensive draft pick since William Jackson III which was 2016...

The Bengals spent money on the defense but its spread around and none of the players are eating up huge amounts of cap space. The secondary is a bargain rate.

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 11:50 AM)Synric Wrote: Jessie Bates is a Franchise tag meaning a 1 year deal. The highest paid position in the secondary is corner and the Bengals don't even have a top 30 paid player on the roster. Dax Hill is the only top 50 defensive draft pick since William Jackson III which was 2016...

The Bengals spent money on the defense but its spread around and none of the players are eating up huge amounts of cap space. The secondary is a bargain rate.

I feel like we spent the majority of the money for that side of the ball on the DL.

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 11:59 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I feel like we spent the majority of the money for that side of the ball on the DL.

And not a single top 10 paid player on defense. Jessie Bates at 11 on a franchise tag and I believe DJ Reader is around 12 ot 13.

Reply/Quote

They will have to draft very well on the Defensive side, same as the Chiefs will have to from here on out.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 08:16 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Ehhh...

He was able to sign Awuzie and Hilton for less than Radio...
Reply/Quote