Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Props to Zac Taylor for Play Calling
35 rushes.

29 passes.

Yes, I know it’s only preseason but this run to pass ratio gives me hope. I was legitimately afraid Zac Taylor would revert to 2019-2020 form and go pass-heavy but seeing more running than passing is most encouraging. This also bodes well for Frank Pollack and the offensive line because they did a credible job run blocking; Billy Price even looked like his old pre-injury 2018 form.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It'd preseason I know. But I thought he mixed in some screens and stuff pretty well. I'm just hoping his OJT the last couple seasons has taught him something.

We'll soon see
Reply/Quote
The good thing too is we really struggled with any consistent running game, until the end. So he stuck with it, which is what he usually does not do.
Reply/Quote
Liked the couple misdirection screens I saw. One where Seibert threw behind the TE (still caught it for about a 5 yard gain) was so open that if that ball is on point, it might have been 10 or 15 yards.
Reply/Quote
Well I'd say we now pretty much have our 3rd and 4th string Running Backs.... Evans and Patrick can flat out go.
Reply/Quote
Some nice play designs in there. He doesn't throw the ball downfield much though. I've heard someone call it a popgun offense and yeah it still looks like that. Some deep completions would be nice and open up more in the run and underneath game.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 12:02 PM)bonesaw Wrote: Some nice play designs in there. He doesn't throw the ball downfield much though. I've heard someone call it a popgun offense and yeah it still looks like that. Some deep completions would be nice and open up more in the run and underneath game.

With Brandon Allen or Kyle Shurmur behind center you WANT a “popgun offense.” Those two have zero business trying to complete a 40 yard bomb. Now when Joe Burrow gets back into the game then sure, let’s push the ball downfield more often but, until then, let’s run first and throw short passes, screens, and slants only when necessary.

Last night’s emphasis on the run made me feel so much better because it takes pressure off Joe Burrow and he will not have to return until he is 100% able. It appears the coaching staff has made the smart decision to build the offense around Allen and Shurmur’s strengths. This reminds me of many years ago when Greg Cook went down and Paul Brown had to retool the offense around Virgil Carter and his uncanny ability to complete short passes.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 11:33 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Well I'd say we now pretty much have our 3rd and 4th string Running Backs.... Evans and Patrick can flat out go.

Those  2 were the highlight of the 2nd half.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 12:53 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Those  2 were the highlight of the 2nd half.

Yeah, I think they spell the end of Traveon's stint as a Bengal. He just can't stay healthy.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 12:23 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: With Brandon Allen or Kyle Shurmur behind center you WANT a “popgun offense.”  Those two have zero business trying to complete a 40 yard bomb.  Now when Joe Burrow gets back into the game then sure, let’s push the ball downfield more often but, until then, let’s run first and throw short passes, screens, and slants only when necessary.

Last night’s emphasis on the run made me feel so much better because it takes pressure off Joe Burrow and he will not have to return until he is 100% able.  It appears the coaching staff has made the smart decision to build the offense around Allen and Shurmur’s strengths.  This reminds me of many years ago when Greg Cook went down and Paul Brown had to retool the offense around Virgil Carter and his uncanny ability to complete short passes.

This is my question about the ratio, will it be the same when he has Burrow back there. 

This showed what the offense should look like no matter who is under center but will it continue? 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 10:16 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: 35 rushes.

29 passes.

Yes, I know it’s only preseason but this run to pass ratio gives me hope.  I was legitimately afraid Zac Taylor would revert to 2019-2020 form and go pass-heavy but seeing more running than passing is most encouraging.  This also bodes well for Frank Pollack and the offensive line because they did a credible job run blocking; Billy Price even looked like his old pre-injury 2018 form.

Awesome, I did see us run more while watching the game in condensed but didn't know the numbers. No more throwing the ball
50+ times. Need to run the ball and be balanced, it is what helps Burrow the most. Patrick and Evans had a good game and even 
if Mixon and Perine are not having a great game don't give up on the run. I know Perine lost the ball on the one play but that was 
just a great play by David, one of the best LB's in all of football.
Reply/Quote
Not to take away from Zac...but if you had more passes than runs with Shurmur as your QB, you shouldn't be coaching. He was missing screens. Evans and Patrick were the second half offense.
Reply/Quote
I suspect we will see more passes again with Burrow.... after all, that's why we drafted him. But, having him in there throwing to Higgins, Chase and Boyd should open things up hugely for Mixon.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 02:54 PM)CardCounterChris Wrote: Not to take away from Zac...but if you had more passes than runs with Shurmur as your QB, you shouldn't be coaching.   He was missing screens.  Evans and Patrick were the second half offense.

Yeah, not impressed with Shurmur at all, need to get a better 3rd string QB.

(08-15-2021, 02:56 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I suspect we will see more passes again with Burrow.... after all, that's why we drafted him. But, having him in there throwing to Higgins, Chase and Boyd should open things up hugely for Mixon.

Just use Mixon and Evans as an extension of the running game. Pass them the ball on WR routes, they both can do it.

Same as a run. Takes pressure off of Burrow just the same on screens. Also use the middle TE screen with Uzo.

We just can't have Joe having big drop backs all the time which is why we need to run the ball much more than last year.
Reply/Quote
I liked the play calling as well.It was compatible with the QB at that time.Of course when Joe Burrow takes the wheel it may be a little different.We’ll see.Would have liked to have seen a little more of the starters on defense.I have a feeling that this team,on both sides of the ball,are going to be very entertaining to watch this season.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 03:04 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: I liked the play calling as well.It was compatible with the QB at that time.Of course when Joe Burrow   takes the wheel it may be a little different.We’ll see.Would have liked to have seen a little more of the starters on defense.I have a feeling that this team,on both sides of the ball,are going to be very entertaining to watch this season.

Pretty wild us playing a lot of backups against the Champ's starters and holding our own, didn't expect that.
Reply/Quote
playing from behind as they've done so much of the time with a line that couldn't sustain successful run blocking dictated a lot of the play calling

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I'll like to see 75% pass to 25% run ratio when Joe gets back.. We are built to wing the ball all over the yard..
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 03:20 PM)pally Wrote: playing from behind as they've done so much of the time with a line that couldn't sustain successful run blocking dictated a lot of the play calling

You talking about Tampa or us? We led most of the game so I assume you are talking about Tampa who couldn't run the ball...
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 02:39 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: This is my question about the ratio, will it be the same when he has Burrow back there. 

This showed what the offense should look like no matter who is under center but will it continue? 

Honestly, a lot of it will depend on how successful the run game is. If you're gaining 4 a pop, you can keep doing it. If you're getting stoned at the LoS, you can a little but not as much. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote