Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Props to the O-line
(10-05-2020, 09:27 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: And the balance of the running game also helped avoid guys teeing off on Burrow.  Only 4 hits, I believe.  

And one of them was on him for not throwing the ball away sooner. They did a good job yesterday.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
If anyone had told me Burrow would be top 10 in yards even though sacked 15 times in 4 games and our all world former receiver AJ Green would be playing like he does not deserve a roster spot, not to mention highest paid player on the team, I would say no way.

This also includes Burrow long ball accuracy has been horrid (I think it will improve, but he has missed badly a lot of long throws including a lay up to AJ week #1.

Burrow has been impressive and he is a rookie, he will get better.

We have to put a defense around him too, if not, we will be forced to score 30+ points to beat very good defensive teams like Ravens and Steelers which is a huge ask for a rookie QB.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 10:22 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If anyone had told me Burrow would be top 10 in yards even though sacked 15 times in 4 games and our all world former receiver AJ Green would be playing like he does not deserve a roster spot, not to mention highest paid player on the team, I would say no way.

This also includes Burrow long ball accuracy has been horrid (I think it will improve, but he has missed badly a lot of long throws including a lay up to AJ week #1.

Burrow has been impressive and he is a rookie, he will get better.

We have to put a defense around him too, if not, we will be forced to score 30+ points to beat very good defensive teams like Ravens and Steelers which is a huge ask for a rookie QB.

He really hasn’t missed “badly” though (other than that one to AJ). Most of them have at least been close. Tee Higgins has gotten his hands on a couple of them but couldn’t haul them in. That’s not missing “badly.”

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 09:44 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And one of them was on him for not throwing the ball away sooner. They did a good job yesterday.

He sure took a few shitty shots after getting rid of the ball.  If that were the likes of Old Man Brady, they would smother the offender in yellow laundry. 
Reply/Quote
Put this in another thread, but this one probably makes more sense...

Jonah Williams went up 3 OVR points on PFF after this weekend.
Bobby Hart went up 2 OVR points on PFF after this weekend.

I was talking about it on Friday, but Hart and Williams are league average tackles currently and I think we tend to be harder on them here without the context of how bad O line play is league wide. As we continute to face pass rushes not as good as the ones we saw to start the year I can definetly see those grades continuing to creep up over time.
Reply/Quote
Everyone played well. Jordan was the worst. Redmond was the best. Why wasn't he starting all year seriously. Have XSF replace Jordan our line will be best its been since 2016
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 12:48 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Everyone played well. Jordan was the worst. Redmond was the best. Why wasn't he starting all year seriously. Have XSF replace Jordan our line will be best its been since 2016

Jordan has a ton of potential. I’m not ready to give up on him just yet. XSF will never be anything but a stopgap.

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 12:42 PM)Au165 Wrote: I was talking about it on Friday, but Hart and Williams are league average tackles currently and I think we tend to be harder on them here without the context of how bad O line play is league wide.

A lot of the hatred for Hart has to do with the way he played his first year here in 2018.  Just like with any other job it is hard to shake the first impression you make.  

When Andre Smith was on of the better OTs in the league in '12 and '13 there were still a bunch of Bengal fans here making fun of him and calling him garbage.

I m not saying Hart is a great player.  I'd be glad to find and upgrade at RT, but it would not be as simple as many people think.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 11:13 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He really hasn’t missed “badly” though (other than that one to AJ). Most of them have at least been close. Tee Higgins has gotten his hands on a couple of them but couldn’t haul them in. That’s not missing “badly.”

To be fair Burrow is expecting more out of AJ and AJ runs like he's 50 years old.  I really like AJ as a person, but his career in Cincinnati should be over and maybe he should just retire.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Article on The Draft Network about the Bengals offensive line.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/cincinnati-bengals-ol-issues-penei-sewell
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 12:48 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Everyone played well. Jordan was the worst. Redmond was the best. Why wasn't he starting all year seriously.  Have XSF replace Jordan our line will be best its been since 2016

You don't do it that way.  The O Line functions as a unit.  5 coming together as 1 to get the job done.  From LT across the line to RT they blocked to Victory, protected Burrow, opened lanes for Mixon and Gio, ate clock giving our D the needed rests.  Since this was the best blocking on this team since Whitworth and Zeitler left after 2016,  Keep these 5 working together.  Once you get good blocking, you try to keep the same 5 together and THAT becomes a Team Strength. The same 5 every week getting the playbook blocking better each week.  GO BENGALS

Putting Redmond in did fix the weak RG spot, but from Williams across the line these 5 came together as 1 to get the job done, just as 1980's Bengals use to. 5 working as 1 huge blocking machine. As long as this keeps working, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The 1980's O Line ate together, went bowling together, families together. off time together. That is how much Munoz, Montoya and rest believed in coming together as One. O Line blocking is not baseball individualism, it is coming together into a veteran unit week after week. Yesterday was the best blocking since after 2016 when Whitworth & Zeitler left, it took 4 years to get to yesterday, don't change or mess with it.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 01:56 PM)Synric Wrote: Article on The Draft Network about the Bengals offensive line.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/cincinnati-bengals-ol-issues-penei-sewell

Good article. Jonah has looked promising, especially when it comes to pass protection. His run blocking hasn't been stellar, but these have also been his first four NFL games so you have to put it into context. Maybe he doesn't develop into a star run blocker, or a star at all, but he looks more than serviceable right now.

Jordan has been disappointing and for someone his size, I would expect him to be able to anchor better in pass pro (and get better movement in the run game). Right guard is a big focus right now, and deservedly so, but we need to make sure that LG isn't swept under the rug. Jordan has not played very well this season and there needs to be an upward trend in his play if he is going to continue starting. Calais Campbell is going to be going up against Jordan and Redmond and this will be a major focal point for the Baltimore game. Campbell is a big, strong lineman and Jordan doesn't do so hot with bullrushes, so I am concerned. 

Hopkins is what he is, at this point. He gets the job done and that is what the team needs. He isn't a liability, does fine in pass protection and does fine in the run game. If an improvement as available, then I would absolutely take it but he is a middling offensive lineman that shouldn't be the prime focus of improvement, at this point.

RG is an absolute cluster. Johnson and Price aren't the solution, and frankly, Redmond isn't either. I am very happy that the line played well yesterday, it was a beautiful thing to watch this offense clicking, but I think we are going to see the issues come back vs. Baltimore. Jacksonville has very little talent on their defensive line and we were able to take advantage of that. Baltimore has some defensive line talent and Redmond is going to see some of Campbell throughout the game.

Hart stinks at pass-blocking, but he is a solid run blocker. That is his saving grace, he can get good movement when they need to be physical but when it comes to pass blocking, he struggles at every level. 
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 02:40 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Good article. Jonah has looked promising, especially when it comes to pass protection. His run blocking hasn't been stellar, but these have also been his first four NFL games so you have to put it into context. Maybe he doesn't develop into a star run blocker, or a star at all, but he looks more than serviceable right now.

Jordan has been disappointing and for someone his size, I would expect him to be able to anchor better in pass pro (and get better movement in the run game). Right guard is a big focus right now, and deservedly so, but we need to make sure that LG isn't swept under the rug. Jordan has not played very well this season and there needs to be an upward trend in his play if he is going to continue starting. Calais Campbell is going to be going up against Jordan and Redmond and this will be a major focal point for the Baltimore game. Campbell is a big, strong lineman and Jordan doesn't do so hot with bullrushes, so I am concerned. 

Hopkins is what he is, at this point. He gets the job done and that is what the team needs. He isn't a liability, does fine in pass protection and does fine in the run game. If an improvement as available, then I would absolutely take it but he is a middling offensive lineman that shouldn't be the prime focus of improvement, at this point.

RG is an absolute cluster. Johnson and Price aren't the solution, and frankly, Redmond isn't either. I am very happy that the line played well yesterday, it was a beautiful thing to watch this offense clicking, but I think we are going to see the issues come back vs. Baltimore. Jacksonville has very little talent on their defensive line and we were able to take advantage of that. Baltimore has some defensive line talent and Redmond is going to see some of Campbell throughout the game.

Hart stinks at pass-blocking, but he is a solid run blocker. That is his saving grace, he can get good movement when they need to be physical but when it comes to pass blocking, he struggles at every level. 

Duck the Draft Network....The O Line was good yesterday...Play same 5 next week, let them build on this...Great Job O Line....Duck the Draft Network....GO BENGALS
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 03:06 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: *Redmond*

(10-05-2020, 07:38 AM)Fullrock Wrote: *Higgins*

Stop it. You know good and well that Redman was blocking for Burrows and Missuh Hwiggens was watching intently from the stands. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
P.S. Cedric Ogbuehi currently has a 74.1 grade from PFF. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 03:15 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: P.S. Cedric Ogbuehi currently has a 74.1 grade from PFF. 

P.P.S. Andrew Whitworth currently has an overall grade of 88.9, 4th in the league. He's 85+ across the board. 

Spectacular decision to let that guy go. 

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 03:18 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: P.P.S. Andrew Whitworth currently has an overall grade of 88.9, 4th in the league. He's 85+ across the board. 

Spectacular decision to let that guy go. 

Whit was the highest graded OT through the first couple weeks.

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 03:15 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: P.S. Cedric Ogbuehi currently has a 74.1 grade from PFF. 

Lol in 13 snaps and gave up a sack in those 13 snaps.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

but he was part of the worst O Line here ever.  Why is it so hard for some of you to accept the O Line came together yesterday for first time since Whitworth left after 2016.  The O Line was very good yesterday.  GO BENGALS. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

This is why I went through and pulled all starting tackle grades to compare to ours versus random dudes with limited snaps. Small sample sizes can create weird issues.
Reply/Quote