Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Props to the old guys
I would like to just give some props to you older guys on this board. I am 43 and been a fan since the late 80s. I remember the 90s but in high school girls were way more interesting than Bengals football at the time even though I still cheered for them. I started watching pretty close the year before we drafted Levi Jones. Man I was pissed when they drafted him. I have zero clue how some of you have followed this team religiously for some of you since the late 60s and 70s. Props to you all because I am tired boys. Just plain tired and out of hope.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 10:17 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: I would like to just give some props to you older guys on this board. I am 43 and been a fan since the late 80s. I remember the 90s but in high school girls were way more interesting than Bengals football at the time even though I still cheered for them. I started watching pretty close the year before we drafted Levi Jones. Man I was pissed when they drafted him. I have zero clue how some of you have followed this team religiously for some of you since the late 60s and 70s. Props to you all because I am tired boys. Just plain tired and out of hope.

Hang in there, there are far more important things than cheering for a winning team of any kind. Once I learned that, I quit throwing things at the TV. But more importantly, I started enjoying life more
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 10:17 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: I would like to just give some props to you older guys on this board. I am 43 and been a fan since the late 80s. I remember the 90s but in high school girls were way more interesting than Bengals football at the time even though I still cheered for them. I started watching pretty close the year before we drafted Levi Jones. Man I was pissed when they drafted him. I have zero clue how some of you have followed this team religiously for some of you since the late 60s and 70s. Props to you all because I am tired boys. Just plain tired and out of hope.

At almost 51 I’ve learned many things are easier after following the Bengals for so long. In comparison, marriage is easy, raising teenagers is a snap, and working for horrible bosses is no big deal.
Reply/Quote
I am 58. My dad came from the backwoods of Kentucky were they played basketball and baseball but not football. So I remember watching the Reds and college basketball when I was younger, but I didn't follow the Bengals until I was 11 in 1973. I still have a NFL paperback guidebook from the '73 season. It is really weird looking at the All-Pro teams where the Offensive tackles like Gene Upshaw (6'5", 255") are smaller than today's TEs and Mike Reid was one of the best DTs in the league at 245.

Bengals O-lineman Howard Fest spoke at our Pee-wee football banquet. He seemed like giant to a little kid like me.

Bill Bergey was my favorite Bengal because I played MLB, but he got traded after the '73 season.

The 2 Bengal Super Bowls bracket my college career. The '81 season was my freshman year and the '88 season was my last year of grad school.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 01:13 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I am 58.  My dad came from the backwoods of Kentucky were they played basketball and baseball but not football.  So I remember watching the Reds and college basketball when I was younger, but I didn't follow the Bengals until I was 11 in 1973.  I still have a NFL paperback guidebook from the '73 season.  It is really weird looking at the All-Pro teams where the Offensive tackles like Gene Upshaw (6'5", 255") are smaller than today's TEs and Mike Reid was one of the best DTs in the league at 245.

Bengals O-lineman Howard Fest spoke at our Pee-wee football banquet.  He seemed like giant to a little kid like me.

Bill Bergey was my favorite Bengal because I played MLB, but he got traded after the '73 season.

The 2 Bengal Super Bowls bracket my college career.  The '81 season was my freshman year and the '88 season was my last year of grad school.

You played MLB?!?!  
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 01:44 AM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: You played MLB?!?!  

Yes  from Pee-wee through high school.  In high school I played inside LB when we were in a 4-4 and moved to NT when we played a 5-3.

When I started college I just weighed about 215, but they moved me to OG.  I was supposed to work out for 2 years and gains about 30 lbs.  This was at a small college in 1981 so it was not uncommon to have OGs who weighed 240.  But I got the hell beat out of me my freshman year and gave up on college football.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 02:27 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes  from Pee-wee through high school.  In high school I played inside LB when we were in a 4-4 and moved to NT when we played a 5-3.

When I started college I just weighed about 215, but they moved me to OG.  I was supposed to work out for 2 years and gains about 30 lbs.  This was at a small college in 1981 so it was not uncommon to have OGs who weighed 240.  But I got the hell beat out of me my freshman year and gave up on college football.

My gosh, I don't know what's wrong with me. I read it as Major League Baseball, not Middle Linebacker. Yikes! My 3 year old being a d1ck and not sleeping is apparently affecting me.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 02:50 AM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: I read it as Major League Baseball, not Middle Linebacker.  

I wondered why you seemed so shocked.
Reply/Quote
Funny story here, but I am 53 and remember when I was probably 7 or 8, my dad (who has followed them since day 1) was watching a Bengals game and even though I have no idea exactly what stupid thing they did at the time, he got so mad at them that the recliner he was sitting in wound up with a busted foot rest that he decided to put his foot through. Mom made him get up and fix it and quit watching the game. So fellas, watching the Bengals and getting upset is nothing new. Been punishing myself since the 70s. I've always wondered why I didn't just give up on them and follow another team but I just can't do it. A glutton for punishment I suppose.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 07:59 AM)No-huddle Joe Wrote: Funny story here, but I am 53 and remember when I was probably 7 or 8, my dad (who has followed them since day 1) was watching a Bengals game and even though I have no idea exactly what stupid thing they did at the time, he got so mad at them that the recliner he was sitting in wound up with a busted foot rest that he decided to put his foot through.  Mom made him get up and fix it and quit watching the game.  So fellas, watching the Bengals and getting upset is nothing new.  Been punishing myself since the 70s.  I've always wondered why I didn't just give up on them and follow another team but I just can't do it.  A glutton for punishment I suppose.

That is pretty funny!  I remember in my early 20’s getting super angry watching Bengals games, but now my young kids watch with me so I’ve learned to be even-keeled. Or, in the case of a big game (like Steelers MNF) I go watch it at a friends or something.  Lol.   

The good news is the Bengals aren’t special in this scenario.  People go absolutely nuts at other teams too.  And as far as being a glutton for punishment, we can all relate!  We’ve got your back, brother.  Don’t worry, whether it be with ZT or some other coach, Burrow is gonna hoist a Lombardi wearing a Bengals #9 jersey.  WHO DEY!
Reply/Quote
I was probably around 30 at the time (I'm 51 now), and my ex-wife had some kind of ceramic pottery thing in a bag that was sitting on the floor of the living room. Something happened in the Bengals game that pissed me off (a regular occurrence) and I jumped up and kicked that bag thinking it was empty until it crashed against the wall and that pottery shattered into a hundred pieces. Ex-wife was so pissed. I was just glad I had shoes on when I kicked it!
Reply/Quote

I'm older than you and women are still waaaaay more interesting than Bengal football. 

Yeah, probably not going to change.
Reply/Quote
Back in the day, me and my boy Thom Brennamen were so pissed after a Bengals loss that we emptied my trashcans on the QB's lawn. :andy: Good times. I'm a lot calmer these days. I don't expect anything other than failure and I haven't been disappointed yet!

Oh, and BTW, you all are old farts.
Reply/Quote

Some of the old boys here are delusional though, same with the young pups. Zac Taylor and Mike Brown FOREVER, best ever, will take us to the promise land!
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 09:36 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Some of the old boys here are delusional though, same with the young pups. Zac Taylor and Mike Brown FOREVER, best ever, will take us to the promise land!

Again, why are YOU here if you hate everything about the team?
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 07:59 AM)No-huddle Joe Wrote: Funny story here, but I am 53 and remember when I was probably 7 or 8, my dad (who has followed them since day 1) was watching a Bengals game and even though I have no idea exactly what stupid thing they did at the time, he got so mad at them that the recliner he was sitting in wound up with a busted foot rest that he decided to put his foot through.  Mom made him get up and fix it and quit watching the game.  So fellas, watching the Bengals and getting upset is nothing new.  Been punishing myself since the 70s.  I've always wondered why I didn't just give up on them and follow another team but I just can't do it.  A glutton for punishment I suppose.

Following a team and supporting them are two different things!

We're about the same age, I'm 54, and have been a huge fan since the late 70's.  I used to go to a lot of games throughout the 80's and again in the mid 2000's.  

Like a lot of people I realized over time that I was nothing more than an enabler, supporting MB and family with my hard-earned dollars and they could really care less.  I used to think they were just inept and didn't know how to run a successful franchise.  I still think that but I now realize they are just really stupid because they don't understand how to expand their business model by continuous improvement.  They fail to realize if you're successful you make more money - lot's more money!

It's not a hard concept but this family just doesn't seem to get it.  And I don't necessarily think they're cheap (the facts don't reflect that), rather just stupid and narcissistic - always trying to find lightning in a bottle which rarely pans out.  In their minds I think they truly believe they make good decisions.

Anyway, no more support ($$$) from this guy but I'll continue to follow.  Sadly, none of my kids will even carry that on so it ends with me.  Can't say as I blame them though, they've never experienced true success from their local football team and now it's too late (they've moved on to other things).
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 01:13 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I am 58.  My dad came from the backwoods of Kentucky were they played basketball and baseball but not football.  So I remember watching the Reds and college basketball when I was younger, but I didn't follow the Bengals until I was 11 in 1973.  I still have a NFL paperback guidebook from the '73 season.  It is really weird looking at the All-Pro teams where the Offensive tackles like Gene Upshaw (6'5", 255") are smaller than today's TEs and Mike Reid was one of the best DTs in the league at 245.

Bengals O-lineman Howard Fest spoke at our Pee-wee football banquet.  He seemed like giant to a little kid like me.

The 2 Bengal Super Bowls bracket my college career.  The '81 season was my freshman year and the '88 season was my last year of grad school.

I'm 61, and have been a Bengals fan since the day they stepped onto the field in '68. I can remember going to family gatherings, where my Dad and all my Uncles were watching football, and as a young kid trying to pick a team to follow. I landed with Bart Starr and the Packers, until Cincinnati fielded a team, which sealed the deal.... root for the home town team. Been a Bengals fan every since.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 09:25 AM)Fullrock Wrote: I was probably around 30 at the time (I'm 51 now), and my ex-wife had some kind of ceramic pottery thing in a bag that was sitting on the floor of the living room. Something happened in the Bengals game that pissed me off (a regular occurrence) and I jumped up and kicked that bag thinking it was empty until it crashed against the wall and that pottery shattered into a hundred pieces. Ex-wife was so pissed. I was just glad I had shoes on when I kicked it!

That's funny.  I have a similar story.

Superbowl against the 49's during 88'-89' season.  We had a SB party at my folks house.  Decorated everything up, streamers, black and orange balloons, the works.

Joe Montana hits John Taylor (think that was his name) for the game winning TD with 34 seconds left.  My brother, who was well known to throw things at the TV, go so pissed off he jumped off the couch and was looking for something to hit.  During his fury he kicked one of the balloons, only it was my dad's solid black bowling ball, and bare footed.  Cracked his toes and was flopping around on the floor like a fish out of water.

To this day I have no idea why my dads bowling ball was out of the bag on the floor but boy that was funny.  To me anyway, not my brother lol!
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote

I'm only a couple years older, but I started playing football at age 7, so I was a little more into football at an earlier age than most. I have vague recollection of the first SB, but I remember 88 rather vividly.

As for the 90s, not only were the ladies more interesting, but most of the games were blacked out anyway. LOL

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote